Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:04 AM   #376
happyslayer
macrumors 6502

I cannot wait for my new rMB to arrive! I had an 11" MBA, then switched to a 13" rMBP. Love the screen... But I miss the light weight of the MBA. The new 12" MacBook will take care of my needs: great retina screen and lighter than the 11" Air. I'll let you all know what I think once I finally get it.
happyslayer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2015, 11:21 AM   #377
arsimoun
macrumors member

Screenwriting machines and software

I am a big fan of grabbing the biggest screen available. 15" is swell by me. My thinking is that while I may be on a plane for a few hours, I am more likely to be working in a hotel room, or some other flat space. At that point, the screen is a lot more important to me than portability.

As to software. I use a legal pad (Levengers, Cornell lined) and a fountain pen when I need to really think about stuff. Once I know what I am doing I tend to write in Final Draft, MovieMagicScreenwriter 2000, or Slugline. I have had good luck with all of them. If I am working on a TV show, I use whatever the show is using. Because I have been doing it for a while, the software pretty quickly becomes invisible to me.

I will admit (this could have been posted by some else posing as me) that I have on occasion used Final Draft's excellent margin cheating abilities to get a script down to an acceptable length. It's always better to do the rewrite work initially, because once a script gets budgeted, you're going to have it there for all the world to see and you may not have the time to spend shortening it in the way that you really want.

One man's .02, YMMV, and all that.

Adam Rodman
arsimoun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2015, 01:15 PM   #378
Chad Brostorm
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyslayer View Post
I cannot wait for my new rMB to arrive! I had an 11" MBA, then switched to a 13" rMBP. Love the screen... But I miss the light weight of the MBA. The new 12" MacBook will take care of my needs: great retina screen and lighter than the 11" Air. I'll let you all know what I think once I finally get it.
I bit the bullet and picked up a 1.1/256 yesterday. I shouldn't have, but man, it is an awesome machine. It runs Slugline, Scrivener, Evernote, and FadeIn like a champ and that's all I really wanted. Plus the Retina screen. Now I can't ever go back to using an Air. I recommend steering clear of the MB forums for now though. Apparently everyone is trying to compare this consumer-oriented device to a prosumer offering, and finding faults with its performance when doing so. YMMV.
Chad Brostorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2015, 05:06 PM   #379
flur
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Brostorm View Post
I bit the bullet and picked up a 1.1/256 yesterday. I shouldn't have, but man, it is an awesome machine. It runs Slugline, Scrivener, Evernote, and FadeIn like a champ and that's all I really wanted. Plus the Retina screen. Now I can't ever go back to using an Air. I recommend steering clear of the MB forums for now though. Apparently everyone is trying to compare this consumer-oriented device to a prosumer offering, and finding faults with its performance when doing so. YMMV.
IMO the rMB is a great machine for writing. The rub comes in if you're a travel writer or other type of writer/photog and want to be able to process your pics on your travel machine.

People are looking for the triumvirate of features - powerful, lightweight, great screen. Right now, every machine Apple offers has two of the three. If the rMB line grows the way the MBA line did - becoming more powerful, getting more ports - it will go from being a great machine for straight writing and media consumption to a great-at-everything machine.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 06:13 AM   #380
nightlong
macrumors 6502a

Wondering how people coming from a bigger screen find the rMB 12" for writing?

I haven't yet seen it, none on display where I live.

I find iPad screens good for writing, but I have them on hoverbars at eye level, with a Bluetooth keyboard at a comfortable level, and sit closer to them than to computers.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:28 AM   #381
Chad Brostorm
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlong View Post

I find iPad screens good for writing, but I have them on hoverbars at eye level, with a Bluetooth keyboard at a comfortable level, and sit closer to them than to computers.
It's surprisingly comfortable, and I'm a glasses wearer with a bad case of astigmatism. I've got my resolution set to 1440x900 and typically read from 14-18 inches away. Haven't done any marathon writing sessions yet, but I don't think I'll get any eye strain from doing so. My other machines are the 15-inch rMBP and I have a 28-inch 4K rig for when I'm working at home, so I definitely like having a lot of working space.
Chad Brostorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:06 AM   #382
happyslayer
macrumors 6502

I got it yesterday and have spent a good chunk of the last 28 hours getting it all setup/installed. So far I really like it. I haven't spent a lot of time actually writing on it (not counting email, texts and some forum posts) but what little I have done alleviates my fears about the new keyboard. It really is a great little machine for the things I do on it. And so far, doing lots of installs and setup and, admittedly, a little youtube watching, it is getting great battery life. Easily over 10 hours yesterday and still going strong tonight after using it most of the afternoon--shows over three hours still available.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:54 AM   #383
PDFierro
macrumors 68040

Quote:

I just got mine yesterday. Coming from a 13" rMBP. Totally loving it. Where as I thought the 11" Air display is too small, I have no complaints using the 12" rMBP after using the 13" rMBP for a long time. Will be selling my Pro soon.

I can't do writing on an iPad. OS X for me.
PDFierro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2015, 07:58 AM   #384
nightlong
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDFierro View Post
I just got mine yesterday. Coming from a 13" rMBP. Totally loving it. Where as I thought the 11" Air display is too small, I have no complaints using the 12" rMBP after using the 13" rMBP for a long time. Will be selling my Pro soon.

I can't do writing on an iPad. OS X for me.
how do you find the keyboard?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 08:35 AM   #385
PDFierro
macrumors 68040

Quote:
how do you find the keyboard?
It's great. I like it even better than the rMBP keyboard, and I can't go back. I thought I would need to adjust to it, but nope.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 09:02 AM   #386
RUGGLES99
macrumors regular

The keyboard on the MBr is ok, but the keyboard on my MBA 11 is better and less cramped. I'll just wait until the MBr is buyable for less than $1000 and closer to $800 (refurb from apple.) That's all the first version is worth in base form. I bought my brand new 2014 base mba 11 at BB for $720, and love it. also have mbp 15 (2010) and desktop mac mini. wife has 2014 mba 13 and desktop iMac. and we have a bunch of android tablets. BUT the 11 air has become my favorite.
RUGGLES99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2015, 09:20 AM   #387
PDFierro
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUGGLES99 View Post
The keyboard on the MBr is ok, but the keyboard on my MBA 11 is better and less cramped. I'll just wait until the MBr is buyable for less than $1000 and closer to $800 (refurb from apple.) That's all the first version is worth in base form. I bought my brand new 2014 base mba 11 at BB for $720, and love it. also have mbp 15 (2010) and desktop mac mini. wife has 2014 mba 13 and desktop iMac. and we have a bunch of android tablets. BUT the 11 air has become my favorite.
The 11" Air is insanely cramped. Personal preference, but I could never go back to that. Even the palm/wrist rest area is better on the 12" rMB.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:38 PM   #388
motrek
macrumors 68000

Quote:
The 11" Air is insanely cramped. Personal preference, but I could never go back to that. Even the palm/wrist rest area is better on the 12" rMB.
Not sure how you can find the 11" MBA "insanely cramped" but be comfortable with a machine that is basically the same or smaller in every dimension.
motrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:41 PM   #389
PDFierro
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
Not sure how you can find the 11" MBA "insanely cramped" but be comfortable with a machine that is basically the same or smaller in every dimension.
Yeah I'm not sure how, but I am. For one thing, the 12" display seems huge compared to the 11.6" one found in the Air. The rMB is just way more comfortable to me.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:49 PM   #390
motrek
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Yeah I'm not sure how, but I am. For one thing, the 12" display seems huge compared to the 11.6" one found in the Air. The rMB is just way more comfortable to me.
It is a different aspect ratio so it's probably a bit of an optical illusion making you think the 12" screen is significantly bigger.
motrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2015, 09:17 PM   #391
eclipse
macrumors 6502a

What Index Cards software do you use for plotting?

I love Scrivener, but now that I've got an Android tablet can't use Scrivener on that. I'm interested in something that will sync between Android and my iMac, and will work on Android OFFLINE on my work lunchbreak.

Any ideas? I'm after plot cards that can be moved around (and not necessarily attached to the actual writing as it is in Scrivener or Storyist).

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air