Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisDx

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2007
Hi;

I'd like to connect my MBAir to my d2 Quadra (laCie) to enable using Time Machine. The MBAir has USB and Thunderbolt ports. The Quadra has a wide range of ports but no Thunderbolt. Suggestions?

Thansk;
Chris

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Well if you only have TB and USB, then I recommend using the USB since its the lowest common denominator, i.e., on both the drive and computer

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Hi;

I'd like to connect my MBAir to my d2 Quadra (laCie) to enable using Time Machine. The MBAir has USB and Thunderbolt ports. The Quadra has a wide range of ports but no Thunderbolt. Suggestions?

Thansk;
Chris

What specific ports does it have?

ChrisDx

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2007
The LaCie d2 Quadra ports:
FireWire 400
FireWire 800
USB2 (Type B)
eSATA

ChrisDx

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2007
The MBAir has USB Type A ports while the Quadra has a USB Type B port. I found a cable with Type A and Type B ends and connected the two but for some reason it is not showing up on the MBAir as a device. I restarted the MBAir to no avail. This may be another issue for another thread?

Nov 28, 2010
located
The MBAir has USB Type A ports while the Quadra has a USB Type B port. I found a cable with Type A and Type B ends and connected the two but for some reason it is not showing up on the MBAir as a device. I restarted the MBAir to no avail. This may be another issue for another thread?

Does it show up In Disk Utility?

ChrisDx

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2007
OK here's the scoop. I have both my iMac and my MBAir connected to the Quadra. The iMac and Quadra was the pre-existing connection (running Time Machine). When I shut down the iMac, the Quadra showed up in the MBAir Finder. I started Time Machine on the MBAir and restarted the iMac; the Quadra did not show on the iMac Finder.

So, I guess it's one at a time when Time Machine is on either computer. Once TM is finsihed, I'll turn it off on both computers and the Quadra should show up on both.

I'll report back if that is not the case.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I do not know, you connected the HDD to both your Macs (Firewire 800 or USB I guess), but one HDD cannot be connected physically to two computers that way.
Either you connect the HDD to one Mac and let that one Mac share that HDD to other Macs via your home network or you use a network HDD (NAS) to connect with two Macs or more to the same HDD.

That would explain, why the HDD did not show up on either Mac while being connected to both, but did show up, when one Mac was shut off. Time Machine has nothing to do with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.