Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
will there be one unlocked version of the 5S that will work with both Att and tmobile off the factory (i.e. with AWS for tmobile)? or there will be 2 different unlocked versions? im still under att and im thinking if i should just buy the "unlocked" phone if it supports both factory. this way, when im ready to jump to tmobile, i won't have to worry. now the question is, will the unlocked versions get released on release date? since we know the older ones had like a month or so delay after the subsidized phones were released.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
will there be one unlocked version of the 5S that will work with both Att and tmobile off the factory (i.e. with AWS for tmobile)? or there will be 2 different unlocked versions? im still under att and im thinking if i should just buy the "unlocked" phone if it supports both factory. this way, when im ready to jump to tmobile, i won't have to worry. now the question is, will the unlocked versions get released on release date? since we know the older ones had like a month or so delay after the subsidized phones were released.

In the UK you could buy an unlocked iPhone 5 on launch day (which I did). I also did that with the 4. I guess only Apple will know the answer to this in your country, but I doubt they will tell you prior to the announcement.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
im in the US.. hopefully, it's unlocked that could support att/tmobile.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC

Since Apple replaced the old AT&T and unlocked models of the iPhone 5 with models that have AWS support for Tmobile, I think it's safe to say the 5S will likely have AWS support on the unlocked models sold in the US as well.

Whether or not Apple will sell the unlocked model on release day is the question though since they usually wait about a month later to release them. Probably at the request of the carriers.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Hopefully... Cuz when u go to their site they have unlocked iPhones and tmobile iPhones. Then again maybe because the tmobile are courier locked until u pay them off but functionality wise should be the same. Hopefully that's how it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.