Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Hi, I have been using the Messages app on my iMac for quite some time now with minimal problems. I'd have a hiccup here or there, but as of late, I can't use it at all.

I recently purchased an iPad Mini and I have an iPhone 5 and iMessage works seamlessly across these two devices.

Now it won't work on my iMac.

I have tried to go through all the help articles. I made sure all my devices are logged in with the same Apple ID. I have a separate ID for my iTunes account (@gmail) and my iCloud (@me).

I want all 3 devices to ONLY use my phone number. I do not want my email to be used in any instance, which I thought would make it easier, since I know that some people have problems because they have various emails they use for iMessage.

Please help me :(. I have been spoiled by being able to text some people via my computer and i'm getting fed up to the point that I may take my iMac in to the Apple Store just so they can set it up for me :eek:

Last edited:

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Yes, I logged out of all 3 devices and actually logged back in. I am definitely using the same Apple ID on all 3. And the phone number is the only "address" that can be used to contact me, so there is no discrepancy there.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Then open Messages and the go to Messages menu item "Preferences". In Messages Preferences click on the 'Accounts' mini-tab and then put a checkmark in what account boxes you want to use in that Messages app.

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Then open Messages and the go to Messages menu item "Preferences". In Messages Preferences click on the 'Accounts' mini-tab and then put a checkmark in what account boxes you want to use in that Messages app.

I did that as well. There is only a check mark next to my phone number.

I even get the message on my iPhone that says my iMac is using my phone number.

Still doesn't work.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Then choose you email. Plus do you have cell numbers in Contacts of the person sending you the Messages? Plus put a checkmark in you email Address with iCloud. Then tell people sending you messages to use your iCloud account. This should fix your problem.

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Then choose you email. Plus do you have cell numbers in Contacts of the person sending you the Messages? Plus put a checkmark in you email Address with iCloud. Then tell people sending you messages to use your iCloud account. This should fix your problem.

I don't want to use my email. I want to only use my phone number.

BUT

My nice friend SandboxGeneral simply asked me if i've restarted my computer since i've had the problem.. so I did. And now it works.

Thanks for your help, satcomer. I knew it was all set up correctly, so it was really irritating me that it wasn't working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.