Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:44 AM   #1
Chazz08
macrumors 6502

File sharing with Bluetooth?

Does anyone think this will ever become a reality? Why doesn't Apple allow this anyway? I can't seem to find why they don't.

I'm only asking because right now I'm living in a country where everyone uses bluetooth for sharing pictures, songs, files, videos, and ringtones. It's actually really nice and convenient. I know it sounds dumb, but I've actually started considering getting a different phone that can do bluetooth sharing like this. I'm going to go ahead and buy the iPhone 5 because I love the environment and how it works with my other Apple products, but the Samsung phones and other Android phones are starting to look more appealing.

If Apple is worried about piracy, why don't they just block the songs that are bought on the iTunes store? We all already know they are really good at that. Anyway, I've emailed Apple this suggestion, and I'm just wondering if anyone knows or thinks this could be a reality?
Chazz08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:08 AM   #2
lily69
macrumors regular

I've bought an App named photo beam blue, it shares photos over bluetooth, not any other kind of files though. I also hope it can at least share contacts.
lily69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:03 PM   #3
Chazz08
macrumors 6502

Well, that's better than nothing! I've been emailing the iPhone team suggesting they unlock these bluetooth features. They are really nice to have.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:01 PM   #4
DodgeV83
macrumors 6502a

There are many free apps that can do this, via Bluetooth, Wifi or even over the Internet. Do a search in the AppStore for "Bluetooth" or "Bluetooth File" and you'll find them.
DodgeV83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:36 AM   #5
Chazz08
macrumors 6502

I have done the searches. All the reviews are terrible and say they don't work. Besides that, most of them just allow photo sharing. Bluetooth is way different than Wifi, and since everyone is being limited now, Bluetooth would be the way to go.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:29 AM   #6
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Bump updated its app to allow sharing of files. I know it's not over Bluetooth but it's something.
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:28 AM   #7
DodgeV83
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz08 View Post
I have done the searches. All the reviews are terrible and say they don't work. Besides that, most of them just allow photo sharing. Bluetooth is way different than Wifi, and since everyone is being limited now, Bluetooth would be the way to go.
I have used the following two free apps to transfer files via Bluetooth and Wifi.

Transfer is very easy to use, but can get clunky when you have many files to share, as it doesn't show the files in a list, but floating in space. Also the free version, while fully functional, has very in your face ads. It automatically detects other users nearby on Wifi, and has a button both users can push to send via bluetooth. Once the devices see each other you just swipe the files over.

UbiDisk is my recommended app. Once you've done an "open in" and have the file inside the app, click on the Folder icon, and click the blue arrow on the file you want to transfer. From there you can click the lightning bolt to transfer via Wifi, or the Bluetooth icon to transfer via Bluetooth.

I like this app best, because it has an HTTP server that lets you download/upload from any phone/PC/MAC...etc (hit the transfer button on the home screen to find it).

Both of these apps are free. Have fun!
DodgeV83 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:45 AM   #8
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

I'm not sure people are getting the point here, iOS doesn't support the standardised Bluetooth profile for file transfers - and Apps aren't able to implement it.

If you and someone else both have the same file transfer App installed on an iOS device, you can use Bluetooth to transfer data between the two devices, within that App only

But that's not what the OP is asking for.
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium

Last edited by Daveoc64; Dec 24, 2012 at 03:58 PM.
Daveoc64 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:13 PM   #9
zorinlynx
macrumors 68020

It's the same reason you have to use third party software to transfer non-purchased music off the phone, and why you can't do things like E-mail songs to other people.

Apple is a control-freak company and likes to tell you what you can do with your media. Some people say they have to be or the music and film industry will stop licensing content to them. Others say that's just their nature. It's a long debate.

I put up with it because iOS is the most pleasant to use OS around, but it's still annoying. You can get around it with certain apps, like iFiles which I believe can transfer files this way.

Last edited by zorinlynx; Dec 24, 2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Correction, iFiles has bluetooth transfer, not Goodreader
zorinlynx is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:54 PM   #10
DodgeV83
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
I'm not sure people are getting the point here, iOS doesn't support the standardised Bluetooth profile for file transfers - and Apps aren't able to implement it.

If you and someone else both have the same file transfer App installed on an iOS device, you can use Bluetooth to transfer data between the two devices.

But that's not what the OP is asking for.
Opps! I completely missed that! Thanks Daveoc64.

What the OP is asking for can be done via Jailbreak with this tweak:

http://www.if0rce.com/en/airblue-sharing-2/
DodgeV83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:39 AM   #11
Chazz08
macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies! I don't like jailbreaking my phone, but if I have to I will do it while I'm here so I can get one of their bluetooth apps. I found a few of them that might be promising. I'll check out the other apps you mentioned as well.

I have emailed Apple in their suggestions area. I did mention that they could bar protected items like the stuff from the iTunes store. I don't see why everything else shouldn't be allowed to be sent.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:44 AM   #12
0dev
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
Apple is a control-freak company and likes to tell you what you can do with your media. Some people say they have to be or the music and film industry will stop licensing content to them. Others say that's just their nature. It's a long debate.
Google sell media content and they allow standard Bluetooth OBEX transfers on Android plus a lot more. This is just Apple being Apple.

I believe there was once a project to make OBEX over Bluetooth work on jailbroken iPhones but I don't think it ever got out of alpha.
0dev is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone