Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 13, 2013, 03:08 PM   #1
Samtb
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Applecare exchanges

I'm curious, I hear about alot of people getting applecare replacements. Are there actually that many problems or do Apple give out replacements for pretty much anything?
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 03:37 PM   #2
thadoggfather
macrumors 68030
 
thadoggfather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Swap your iPad already!

You know you want to
thadoggfather is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 04:46 PM   #3
Han Solo 1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
If you have AppleCare+ you can just hit it with a baseball bat and bring it in. It will cost you $50, but you'll get a brand new (refurbished) iPad.
Han Solo 1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 04:49 PM   #4
Samtb
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo 1 View Post
If you have AppleCare+ you can just hit it with a baseball bat and bring it in. It will cost you $50, but you'll get a brand new (refurbished) iPad.
You serious?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadoggfather View Post
Swap your iPad already!

You know you want to
I wish I could get a refund and wait for the next ipad.
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 04:52 PM   #5
Han Solo 1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
You serious?
Yes. But only if you have AppleCare+. Not just regular AppleCare. It has to be the Plus version.

Probably not a baseball bat, that would be hard to explain. But you can run it over with your car and tell them that you accidentally ran it over with your car. That's what I'm going to do if I ever get a scratch on it.

And before anyone goes all crazy about this, I'm paying for this service so I don't have any qualms about it.
Han Solo 1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:04 PM   #6
Samtb
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo 1 View Post
Yes. But only if you have AppleCare+. Not just regular AppleCare. It has to be the Plus version.

Probably not a baseball bat, that would be hard to explain. But you can run it over with your car and tell them that you accidentally ran it over with your car. That's what I'm going to do if I ever get a scratch on it.

And before anyone goes all crazy about this, I'm paying for this service so I don't have any qualms about it.
Surely you could just take it to them, say it has a scratch and demand a new one if you're paying for a service that covers cosmetic damage. You wouldn't need to run it over.
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:07 PM   #7
Han Solo 1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
Surely you could just take it to them, say it has a scratch and demand a new one if you're paying for a service that covers cosmetic damage. You wouldn't need to run it over.
I'm sure there is a damage threshold. If it's got a couple of very fine scratches, I doubt they would go through the trouble.

The coverage basically covers repairs or up to 2 exchanges if the damage is too extensive to repair.

I am so anal retentive about a perfect screen, though, that if it got gashed I'd just run it over. The store rep literally told me "If you accidentally run it over, drop it out of a window, drop it in the bathtub, etc., we will repair it or replace it."

Why not just go all the way if you're going to go at all?
Han Solo 1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:10 PM   #8
Brian Y
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo 1 View Post
I'm sure there is a damage threshold. If it's got a couple of very fine scratches, I doubt they would go through the trouble.

The coverage basically covers repairs or up to 2 exchanges if the damage is too extensive to repair.

I am so anal retentive about a perfect screen, though, that if it got gashed I'd just run it over. The store rep literally told me "If you accidentally run it over, drop it out of a window, drop it in the bathtub, etc., we will repair it or replace it."

Why not just go all the way if you're going to go at all?
Technically, that's insurance fraud. You pay for home/car insurance too. But if you purposely crash your car if you scratch it so that you can get a new one, that would be fraud.
Brian Y is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:25 PM   #9
Han Solo 1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Y View Post
Technically, that's insurance fraud. You pay for home/car insurance too. But if you purposely crash your car if you scratch it so that you can get a new one, that would be fraud.
you're right. I've changed my mind.
Han Solo 1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 07:11 PM   #10
Samtb
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Y View Post
Technically, that's insurance fraud. You pay for home/car insurance too. But if you purposely crash your car if you scratch it so that you can get a new one, that would be fraud.
Imagine if car insurance covered small scratches.
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 08:15 PM   #11
Nolander07
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
This is what AppleCare+ is for. It is to replace a broken product. It is not fraud if you break it by being "careless". The service is specifically to replace/repair if broken.
Nolander07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 08:16 PM   #12
mushroomtip
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo 1 View Post
If you have AppleCare+ you can just hit it with a baseball bat and bring it in. It will cost you $50, but you'll get a brand new (refurbished) iPad.
what if I just sit on it ? would that work ?
__________________
Once You Go Mac, You Never Go Back !
mushroomtip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 08:56 PM   #13
Han Solo 1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolander07 View Post
This is what AppleCare+ is for. It is to replace a broken product. It is not fraud if you break it by being "careless". The service is specifically to replace/repair if broken.
Yeah that's true!

I just changed my mind again.
Han Solo 1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 09:18 PM   #14
AnorexicPig
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Winnipeg,Canada/New Delhi India
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo 1 View Post
Yeah that's true!

I just changed my mind again.
Replacing minds for you is easier than replacing iPads
__________________
MacBook Pro 13" with Retina Display- Late 2013 2.4/8/256, iPhone 5 16GB
AnorexicPig is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 06:26 AM   #15
Samtb
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolander07 View Post
This is what AppleCare+ is for. It is to replace a broken product. It is not fraud if you break it by being "careless". The service is specifically to replace/repair if broken.
But how would you prove you broke it by being "careless"? How often does someone accidentally run over their ipad?
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 08:48 AM   #16
Han Solo 1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
But how would you prove you broke it by being "careless"? How often does someone accidentally run over their ipad?
Running over it was just an outlandish example. People run and drop their iPads on concrete, drop it while walking up stairs and watch it tumble all the way down, hold it out the car window and accidentally drop it during a sharp turn, etc.

One can also be "careless" by "not caring" and place it on your driveway about 3 feet directly behind your left rear tire, get in your car, turn it on, put it in reverse, and back up over it as you hear a satisfying crunch.

Only after having backed up and restored your phone to factory settings, of course.
Han Solo 1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:35 PM   #17
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2010
I have never bought AppleCare+ but have definitly taken full use of 1 year warranty offered on the products.

Changed out the following at genius bar:

iPhone 3G (cracked plastic, and headphone jack stopped working)
iPod Nano 5th gen (AUX playback fuzzy, confirmed it was iPod)
iPad 3rd gen (two times, once for line of dead pixels, once for light bleed)
iPhone 5 (battery issues, was offered so I took new phone, still had issue)

I figure as long as I get the kinks out in the first year, I can live with the device and just replace it if I'm careless with it after the first year. AppleCare+ just seems too costly for these products.
mpayne2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:44 PM   #18
charlituna
macrumors 604
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
Surely you could just take it to them, say it has a scratch and demand a new one if you're paying for a service that covers cosmetic damage. You wouldn't need to run it over.
Except that you aren't. the Warranty and 'vanilla' Apple Care covers defects. Cosmetic damage isn't a defect. it's just a fact of use.

The best you will get is that light cosmetic damage from normal use wouldn't void coverage if you have a legit defect.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolander07 View Post
This is what AppleCare+ is for. It is to replace a broken product. It is not fraud if you break it by being "careless". The service is specifically to replace/repair if broken.
But they are talking about breaking it on purpose. That would be fraud.

It's like the stories of folks trying to unlock their iphones themselves and bricking the phone. Can't get it working again and they know they just voided their warranty so to cover it up they pop the phone in the microwave for a couple of seconds to blow the dock connector or a similar trick so the phone will run down and not turn on and then go play innocent to try to get a swap. They like to aim for really busy times of day and/or small stores so the tech is less likely to really examine the phone before swapping it

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo 1 View Post
One can also be "careless" by "not caring" and place it on your driveway about 3 feet directly behind your left rear tire, get in your car, turn it on, put it in reverse, and back up over it as you hear a satisfying crunch.
something tells me that your car would do more than enough damage for them to call it malicious and (I think the phrase they use is ) beyond economic repair and deny you even paid coverage. Certainly not the $49 fee
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:53 PM   #19
Han Solo 1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

something tells me that your car would do more than enough damage for them to call it malicious and (I think the phrase they use is ) beyond economic repair and deny you even paid coverage. Certainly not the $49 fee
Yeah, you're right. I should probably stick to the baseball bat.
Han Solo 1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:59 PM   #20
charlituna
macrumors 604
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo 1 View Post
Yeah, you're right. I should probably stick to the baseball bat.
Baseball bat still risky. Especially when a face drop onto concrete or five minutes in a sink of dish water is more than enough
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do iPhone exchanges work? johnny2435 iPhone 1 Oct 8, 2013 06:04 PM
exchanges not allowed ?? Sean006 iPhone 6 Oct 2, 2013 08:03 PM
Those with exchanges DrewDaHilp1 iMac 0 Feb 24, 2013 08:57 AM
iPad: Apple exchanges policy Samtb iPad 7 Feb 11, 2013 09:03 PM
Warranty exchanges steve dave iPhone 0 Sep 21, 2012 01:31 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC