Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Apr 3, 2013, 03:06 PM   #1
Alaniz
macrumors newbie

One file - multiple users can open simultaneously!

I have 10.6.8 server. I have about 10 users that are running 10.8.2

The problem is this - Two people can open the same file at the same time!
On a PC, this would result in an access denied for one of the users.

This has resulted in VERY bad situations.
Is there a fix?
Along the same lines, on the PC server, I could tell who the last "owner" of the file was. I do not see that on the Mac at all?
Understand that we might not have configured our Mac Server correctly 15 months ago. Just need help, even if it means a 3rd party solution.
Alaniz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 07:14 AM   #2
Les Kern
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaniz View Post
I have 10.6.8 server. I have about 10 users that are running 10.8.2

The problem is this - Two people can open the same file at the same time!
On a PC, this would result in an access denied for one of the users.

This has resulted in VERY bad situations.
Is there a fix?
Along the same lines, on the PC server, I could tell who the last "owner" of the file was. I do not see that on the Mac at all?
Understand that we might not have configured our Mac Server correctly 15 months ago. Just need help, even if it means a 3rd party solution.
As far as I know even when using ACL's any shared document can be oppened, just that the first user is the admin and the rest will have read-only and allowing a copy to be made and named differently. I am unaware of a third party solution save for the obvious ones like Filemaker Server. It's always been this was as far as I know as I am mostly Mac, so okay, while I have no solution for you this is an interesting post and can't wait to see some replies.
Les Kern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 04:04 PM   #3
Kasalic
macrumors regular

What is the file type?

And can you confirm that more than one person can open the file with full read/write privileges?
Kasalic is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking