Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Jul 1, 2014, 10:59 AM   #276
khaneliman
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantus View Post
Vlad,

If you intend to keep trackpad++ free, why not release the source code?

*edit*

Nevermind. It's not really free, as it stops working without a weekly "update" unless users donate.

No one else finds this suspicious? How do we know Trackpad++ isn't acting as a keylogger, sending info back to the creator during updates?

Yes, very suspicious why a developer would like to receive compensation for services and products provided.
khaneliman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2014, 12:06 PM   #277
xyrate
macrumors newbie

Hi Vlad - I am trying to update my Trackpad++ but when I go to http://trackpad.powerplan7.com/ I get a "request failed." Is the website up or how can I update my Trackpad++ tool?
xyrate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2014, 12:24 PM   #278
Quantus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaneliman View Post
Yes, very suspicious why a developer would like to receive compensation for services and products provided.
It's not the "wanting compensation" that I find suspicious.
Quantus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 02:37 AM   #279
V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r
macrumors regular

@xyrate: Very strange, as the website is up, could you try again.

@Quantus: Just to restate, if 51 of 51 antiviruses think the software is clean, then there is nothing suspicious in it. Especially because the software is there since 2010, so even lazy antivirus makers had enough time In my experience, only if at least 10-15 of VirusTotal's 51 antiviruses report something, then it's time to consider something suspicious. But we have 0 of 51...
V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 09:23 AM   #280
xyrate
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r View Post
@xyrate: Very strange, as the website is up, could you try again.

@Quantus: Just to restate, if 51 of 51 antiviruses think the software is clean, then there is nothing suspicious in it. Especially because the software is there since 2010, so even lazy antivirus makers had enough time In my experience, only if at least 10-15 of VirusTotal's 51 antiviruses report something, then it's time to consider something suspicious. But we have 0 of 51...
Thank you Vlad. Quick follow-up question about the donation amount to get a serial. The site suggests $15, is it mandatory to provide that much to receive a serial for Trackpad++? Thanks!
Old Jul 3, 2014, 09:59 AM   #281
Quantus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyrate View Post
Thank you Vlad. Quick follow-up question about the donation amount to get a serial. The site suggests $15, is it mandatory to provide that much to receive a serial for Trackpad++? Thanks!
xyrate has two posts and joined this forum on July 1, 2014. One of your alt accounts, vlad?
Quantus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:10 AM   #282
xyrate
macrumors newbie

Quote:
xyrate has two posts and joined this forum on July 1, 2014. One of your alt accounts, vlad?
Not really sure why someone isn't able to join the forums and ask questions. Generally speaking, people join forums when they have something they want to discuss. In this case, as you can see from my posts, I had questions regarding Trackpad++.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:31 AM   #283
V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r
macrumors regular

@Quantus: If it was my account, I would better write: "Why do you recommend so small donation? The software is so cool, I donated $50 and recommend everybody to do the same to support this outstanding project". Also, why write about site unavailability? This is always distracting for the clients/users. Anyways, a bit of humor never harms
Maybe you have some technical suggestion, or can leave some feedback about the features or usage of the Trackpad++? Otherwise, the diagnose could be "troll detected", and I will unfortunately not be able to respond to your messages anymore, despite they are enjoyable
Old Jul 3, 2014, 05:20 PM   #284
khaneliman
macrumors newbie

Trackpad++: Alternate Trackpad Driver for BootCamp

Quote:

Where were you to jump on me joining the forums just because of this thread?

Last edited by khaneliman; Jul 3, 2014 at 05:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 3, 2014, 06:51 PM   #285
ilovetrackpad
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetrackpad View Post
Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for explaining. I reinstalled Trackpad++ and have learned to use the 3 finger drag perfectly now, thank you!

I have one more question. I am using Trackpad++ 3.0b and I disabled the pinch-to-zoom option by deselecting the checkbox.

When I restart windows, the checkbox for pinch-to-zoom is selected and enabled. This is annoying. Can you please fix this?

Edit: This doesn't only happen when I restart windows. After disabling pinch-to-zoom, I can right click the trackpad++ icon in the taskbar and click Exit, and re-open Trackpad++ Control Module.exe and the pinch-to-zoom checkbox is enabled. All of my other settings are exactly how I adjusted them, except pinch-to-zoom. Please help
Hi Vladimir,

Could you please respond to my post from page 11 (see above)?

Thanks
ilovetrackpad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2014, 03:18 AM   #286
V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r
macrumors regular

@ilovetrackpad: Thank you for reporting. Could you specify do you have Mid-2013/2014 Macbook Air specifically? And what is the version of Windows?
Aha, sorry, I see you specified this on the previous page. Looks like a small bug, not reproducible on Macbook Pro, because actually a different driver binary is being used (Mid-2013/Early-2014 Macbook Pro has a different trackpad device, i.e. different for developer, not for the users, so I had to compile a separate binary for it).
May I ask why do you intend to disable the pinch-to-zoom gesture? There is a setting to decrease pinch-to-zoom sensitivity, it's in the 'Accidental Input' pane of the Trackpad++ Control Module (if it's the case). The pinch-to-zoom was one of the most anticipated gestures of the Trackpad++, that's why I'm asking.

Last edited by V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r; Jul 4, 2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 08:59 AM   #287
ilovetrackpad
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r View Post
@ilovetrackpad: Thank you for reporting. Could you specify do you have Mid-2013/2014 Macbook Air specifically? And what is the version of Windows?
Aha, sorry, I see you specified this on the previous page. Looks like a small bug, not reproducible on Macbook Pro, because actually a different driver binary is being used (Mid-2013/Early-2014 Macbook Pro has a different trackpad device, i.e. different for developer, not for the users, so I had to compile a separate binary for it).
May I ask why do you intend to disable the pinch-to-zoom gesture? There is a setting to decrease pinch-to-zoom sensitivity, it's in the 'Accidental Input' pane of the Trackpad++ Control Module (if it's the case). The pinch-to-zoom was one of the most anticipated gestures of the Trackpad++, that's why I'm asking.
I am using 2014 Macbook Air. I am using Windows 7 64-bit with SP1.

I intend to disable the pinch-to-zoom gesture because it interferes with my browsing on a daily basis. There are so many times where I would be reading a wikipedia article and I accidently touch the trackpad and the entire page zooms out. The setting to decrease pinch-to-zoom sensitivity in the 'Accidental Input' pane of the Trackpad++ Control Module doesn't help, it still happens when I am accidently browsing wikipedia or google. Will you be testing trackpad++ on a 2014 Macbook Air anytime soon? I have already donated.

Thanks
ilovetrackpad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2014, 03:14 PM   #288
V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r
macrumors regular

@ilovetrackpad: Right, I have no 2014 Macbook Air to test. However, many people already confirmed the Trackpad++ driver is fully operational with the new model using the 13" Mid-2013 Macbook Air option in the installer. I have no in-depth report, but the positive feedback is an indicator (yes, so far all of the feedback has been solidly positive).
The Trackpad++ pinch-to-zoom gesture has been tested very thoroughly and, especially with the decreased sensitivity option, shall be more than reliable. So, the issue could be related only to the new model. Because I think it would not remain unnoticed in this thread, and my email inbox especially, but there are no such reports. Please contact me via email, maybe this can be further diagnosed and fixed with your (not complex) help. Thank you.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:41 AM   #289
Shadowhawk109
macrumors newbie

What to donate to?

I gotta admit, I like Trackpad++, enough that I'm willing to donate in order to stop the annoying as hell weekly disabling/reinstall.

But truth be told I'm not overly impressed with Power Plan Assistant. Like...I'm still not sold as to why I need this thing on my computer.

So, can I get away with just getting the registration for Trackpad++ and NOT having to donate an additional (arbitrary amount) for Power Plan Assistant?
Shadowhawk109 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2014, 11:31 PM   #290
khaneliman
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowhawk109 View Post
I gotta admit, I like Trackpad++, enough that I'm willing to donate in order to stop the annoying as hell weekly disabling/reinstall.

But truth be told I'm not overly impressed with Power Plan Assistant. Like...I'm still not sold as to why I need this thing on my computer.

So, can I get away with just getting the registration for Trackpad++ and NOT having to donate an additional (arbitrary amount) for Power Plan Assistant?

You're donating a general amount for the software provided. You get registration for both. You only need PPA to install trackpad ++ initially. You can then remove it and just use registered trackpad ++.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 07:24 AM   #291
V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r
macrumors regular

@ALL: Just wanted to clarify, the Power Plan Assistant shall be mandatory installed only once, before the Trackpad++. If the keyboard backlight management and power scheme / radio toggles are not what you look for, then it is fine to uninstall the Power Plan Assistant... Trackpad++ will not be affected.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 06:58 AM   #292
pickaxe
macrumors 6502

Hey Vladimir, Trackpad++ still causes VMware Fusion and Parallels to completely freeze when installed on an actual Windows 8.1 partition (not virtual machine container), on my MacBook Air 2013.

With all due respect, I believe I mentioned this previously and you dismissed it, but it's definitely an issue on my computer (confirmed after reinstalling multiple times).

Since the only way I've found to prevent the freeze is not to launch Trackpad++ while using VMware Fusion/Parallels, and Trackpad++ is set to launch at startup, I think you should add a warning in Trackpad++ to not run it at startup if the user experiences lockups on Fusion/Parallels.
pickaxe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2014, 09:35 AM   #293
V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r
macrumors regular

@pickaxe: Thank you for the good advice regarding the warning. In reality I have not been able to replicate this problem, and no other people are reporting anything similar for many months. Sure, could be that some people just do not contact me, actually having this issue (or, maybe in general too few people use the Boot Camp partition to boot the virtual machine in OS X).

@ALL: It is important to realize that the Trackpad++ driver is purely for the real Boot Camp environment, so more sophisticated scenarios such as using Boot Camp partition to boot Parallels or VMware virtual machine are out of scope for the Trackpad++ development. Still, a clear warning makes sense, so I will definitely update the FAQ section, etc.

Cheers,
Vladimir

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac