Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wannabeAHA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
In the original Apple At-Home Advisor thread, I've noticed that many good questions get skipped and lost in the excited postings of those who are fortunately moving along in the AHA hiring process.

I'm starting this thread for anything related to the position that you would like to know or that needs elaboration, especially for those in the initial stages of the application process.

I would like to know:
1. Has anyone gotten their INITIAL contact from Apple after weeks (or months), rather than just a few days, after submitting the initial application(s). That is my situation, having applied for every At-Home position during the past month, or more, with no response. I intend to keep applying, but just curious if it is a lost cause after a week or so.

2. After your original failed application, did you change something in your application (or your method of application) that got the hiring department's attention and resulted in an interview?

3. Is anyone who has been hired for the AHA "older" like me, 50+...?

4. I'm considering applying with Kelly Services for their (low paying) Apple tech support position in order to make myself more attractive to Apple. From the other thread, I understand that perhaps some have made this switch from Kelly to Apple, but the details are sketchy. Is their any prohibition against Apple hiring employees away from its subcontractor Kelly?

Thanks in advance!

koolaid-drinker

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Kingsport,Tn
In the original Apple At-Home Advisor thread, I've noticed that many good questions get skipped and lost in the excited postings of those who are fortunately moving along in the AHA hiring process.

I'm starting this thread for anything related to the position that you would like to know or that needs elaboration, especially for those in the initial stages of the application process.

I would like to know:
1. Has anyone gotten their INITIAL contact from Apple after weeks (or months), rather than just a few days, after submitting the initial application(s). That is my situation, having applied for every At-Home position during the past month, or more, with no response. I intend to keep applying, but just curious if it is a lost cause after a week or so.

2. After your original failed application, did you change something in your application (or your method of application) that got the hiring department's attention and resulted in an interview?

3. Is anyone who has been hired for the AHA "older" like me, 50+...?

4. I'm considering applying with Kelly Services for their (low paying) Apple tech support position in order to make myself more attractive to Apple. From the other thread, I understand that perhaps some have made this switch from Kelly to Apple, but the details are sketchy. Is their any prohibition against Apple hiring employees away from its subcontractor Kelly?

Thanks in advance!

I would address these to the main thread, so they get noticed.
Some people have gotten a response a few months or weeks later after applying.

The goal to getting noticed is a great cover letter. You want to standout from the others.

There are plenty of posts about Kelly. Everyone has said that there are no problems with transfering; though most people dont think its worth doing with Kelly.

jenny2765

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
I have some questions:
What should I do to get ready for an advising meeting?
Can I talk to a different advisor than the one I was assigned?
I met with my advisor, but I still have questions that he/she wasn't able to answer; now what?

koolaid-drinker

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Kingsport,Tn
I have some questions:
What should I do to get ready for an advising meeting?
Can I talk to a different advisor than the one I was assigned?
I met with my advisor, but I still have questions that he/she wasn't able to answer; now what?

1. Be yourself.
2. No
3. See the main AHA forum.

MrMacMack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2012
I honestly think you're better off posting in the original thread

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1120467/

Not many people who are subscribed to the original are going to see your new thread. The only reason why I did is because Google picked up the new link and I clicked on it accidentally instead of the original one.

techsrus

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
Not many people who are subscribed to the original are going to see your new thread. The only reason why I did is because Google picked up the new link and I clicked on it accidentally instead of the original one.

same here, but i'm glad it's in a different thread. the other one is so convoluted, it is difficult to find a flow and coherent answers. this thread may lead to more direct answers.

could this thread be made into a sticky?

i can only answer the first question by the op. i applied on 11/27 and never got any type of response. i re-applied 12/17 and got a form 'thanks for applying, your stuff is being reviewed' email. :crickets:

TeeLee

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2013
It may be because the summer start date (for student AHA positions) is closing in, but it seems that Apple's responses to applicants are being expedited. Most people are getting follow-ups on a pretty consistent schedule.

If you haven't already gotten a response to your initial application(s), now may be the time to reapply. Just sayin'.

xoxokmarie

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2014
My timeline is as follows:

7/7 - Phone interview (15 min)
7/14 - 2nd interview via Skype that ended up being another phone interview with tech issues on her (interviewer) end (20 min)
8/4 - 3rd/final interview via Skype (little less than 30 min)

Now I'm awaiting a decision, which I was told will take 2-3 weeks. The wait is gonna kill me :confused: but hopefully the outcome is good :rolleyes:

ian.maffett

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2008
Florida
My timeline is as follows:

7/7 - Phone interview (15 min)
7/14 - 2nd interview via Skype that ended up being another phone interview with tech issues on her (interviewer) end (20 min)
8/4 - 3rd/final interview via Skype (little less than 30 min)

Now I'm awaiting a decision, which I was told will take 2-3 weeks. The wait is gonna kill me :confused: but hopefully the outcome is good :rolleyes:

I suspect you heard?

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I don't see why not. Not hiring you because of your age would be discrimination.

That may be so, but ask yourself how many older people, as in 35+, you see as employees in the average Apple store?

And I say that as I some time ago had an interesting and lengthy conversation with an Apple 'Expert' in one of their stores, who told me, as the conversation progressed, he was in his late forties. This fellow in addition to being very personable, was extremely knowledgeable about all things 'Apple', and as the subject of age came up he told me that there definitely was a lot of pressure from above to transfer to an off-floor position within the company.

I realize this is just one man's word, but it's a known fact that Apple (just as other tech companies are doing) wants to project a youthful image (remember the I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC ads), and this is reflected in the average front-line worker you encounter face to face.

rokrchik

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2015
That may be so, but ask yourself how many older people, as in 35+, you see as employees in the average Apple store?

I think that fact is true and most likely due to the percentage of people 35+ *applying* for a job in the retail store is quite low in comparison to the younger generation. "Older" typically equals more schooling and/or experience and a smaller likelihood of wanting to work there or being hired, (i.e. "overqualified"). This is just my opinion from over ten years experience working in Human Resources and watching recruitment/hiring trends. BUT - my nearest Apple store is about 45 minutes away, inside a mall I do not visit often. So I really cannot speak or compare the ages of agents working inside the stores either. So, yeah.

CrowFae

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2015
South Carolina
The ages in an Apple Store vary widely. I've seen older and younger people working there. Guess it depends on the location as well

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.