Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 9, 2012, 01:21 AM   #1
tensiondeadache
macrumors regular

Sprint is waiving my ETF...

...on the condition I give them my iPhone 4S. The ETF would have been $220, so not bad I guess. The first speed test I did with my new AT&T iPhone 5 (no LTE) was about twice as fast in my apartment as any speed I got in 13 months with a Sprint 4S, so pretty sure I made the right choice (though I gave up unlimited data).
tensiondeadache is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 04:01 AM   #2
aphexacid
macrumors 6502a

I hate sprint with such a passion. There are not enough expletives in existence for me to paint a descriptive enough picture on how much i hate them.
aphexacid is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 04:25 AM   #3
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Don't do too many of those speed tests, they eat up data quickly. Onavo Extend and Onavo Count saved my ass on that. About 5 speed tests almost put me at 100mb. I'm on a 2gb data cap so every mb counts.
But don't give them the 4S, you can sell it for more money online. Or unlock it and use it as a backup phone
tymaster50 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:16 AM   #4
as0016
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
Don't do too many of those speed tests, they eat up data quickly. Onavo Extend and Onavo Count saved my ass on that. About 5 speed tests almost put me at 100mb. I'm on a 2gb data cap so every mb counts.
But don't give them the 4S, you can sell it for more money online. Or unlock it and use it as a backup phone
Its a sprint iphone 4s, its CDMA locked and can't be unlocked. It won't be worth more than the 220ish, since spring iphones are the least desirable.
as0016 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:24 AM   #5
01blu-gsr
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by as0016 View Post
Its a sprint iphone 4s, its CDMA locked and can't be unlocked. It won't be worth more than the 220ish, since spring iphones are the least desirable.
its a 4s with a sim card slot, so it can be unlocked for a GSM network.
01blu-gsr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:01 PM   #6
as0016
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01blu-gsr View Post
its a 4s with a sim card slot, so it can be unlocked for a GSM network.
Not inside the united states - thats why you need to jailbreak and use a gevey sim (along with a GSM sim) on the CDMA iphone to use a domestic sim card. It's a software lock of the GSM radio inside the US that cannot be removed.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-574...r-u.s-carrier/

You need to use this: http://www.applenberry.com/unlock-cdma-iphone-4s/

Since there is no jailbreak for iOS6 right now, for the 4s, it wont work anyway.

That's why they have such crappy resale value on the second hand market...they're only good for sprint or if an international person really wants it, but even they are better off getting an ATT.
as0016 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:47 PM   #7
tensiondeadache
macrumors regular

Gazelle will pay $185 for the phone, so I'll save 35 bucks by giving to Sprint. Keeping it as a backup does sound smart though. The Sprint rep didn't even try with any pretenses that they have good service-he just looked at his map and immediately agreed with my choice to end the contract. At least I can give them credit for that and not end on a total bad note with Sprint. I am already getting up 8X faster speeds and I haven't even been with 90 miles of an LTE area. I'm assuming I'm getting HSPA speeds...
tensiondeadache is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:40 PM   #8
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Talk about Onavo, whatever you guys do NOT install that Onavo Count app or Onavo Extend.
This app routes every piece of data through onavos servers.
Data rates will be slow cause now you're depending on onavos servers before your data can be sent or reach its destination.
Every photo, text, search, username password etc.. will be sent through onavos servers. Im not comfortable with that. It will also break your email,hotspot, vpn and will also install a new profile on your phone.
Because the app is free most likely the dev will make his money by selling your data and info to others. You're not the customer using this app, you're the product.
Stay away.
Applejuiced is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:42 AM   #9
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Talk about Onavo, whatever you guys do NOT install that Onavo Count app or Onavo Extend.
Data rates will be slow cause now you're depending on onavos servers before your data can be sent or reach its destination.
Every photo, text, search, username password etc.. will be sent through onavos servers. Im not comfortable with that. It will also break your email,hotspot, vpn and will also install a new profile on your phone.
Because the app is free most likely the dev will make his money by selling your data and info to others. You're not the customer using this app, you're the product.
Stay away.
The data speed wasn't slow to me, eh.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:33 AM   #10
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
The data speed wasn't slow to me, eh.
Up to you if you wanna keep using it.
I'm just letting people know the risks that's all.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:53 AM   #11
ProudLoz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Stay away.
You are being paranoid.

Besides, if I remember correctly, I remembered reading somewhere that Onavo does not even touch does encrypted pages where you shop online and enter all your credentials to make a purchase. I'll have to find the source somewhere.
ProudLoz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:21 PM   #12
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudLoz View Post
You are being paranoid.

Besides, if I remember correctly, I remembered reading somewhere that Onavo does not even touch does encrypted pages where you shop online and enter all your credentials to make a purchase. I'll have to find the source somewhere.
It's still a risk and also a slow down to your connection.
I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:38 PM   #13
pirarre
macrumors regular

The Sprint iphone 4s can be unlocked. Sprint will unlock it for you, provided that you havent unlocked any other iphone 4s on that specific line within your contract period. You have to call or chat with Sprint International Support.

Then you can sell it for more than what Sprint is offering you...especially on ebay. I'm sure someone overseas will buy it.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:40 PM   #14
ProudLoz
macrumors regular

Quote:
It's still a risk and also a slow down to your connection.
I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.
I didn't notice any major slow downs on AT&T's 4G, but I did on LTE. However, I uninstalled it and still had problem with my LTE connection so it's probably an actual LTE problem in my area. Who knows.

Anyways, I tried that Onavo thing where it shows you how much data it uses and it's not really all that accurate and doesn't show you some apps. I think it bundles it as "Web" if it doesn't know what it is and calls it a day. It's not all that precise like it claims it is. Their shrinking data app however is good.
ProudLoz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:09 PM   #15
as0016
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirarre View Post
The Sprint iphone 4s can be unlocked. Sprint will unlock it for you, provided that you havent unlocked any other iphone 4s on that specific line within your contract period. You have to call or chat with Sprint International Support.

Then you can sell it for more than what Sprint is offering you...especially on ebay. I'm sure someone overseas will buy it.
He'd pretty much only be able to sell it to someone abroad or to someone with sprint. Theyre not going for what he'd need to sell it for to come out with what Sprint is offering. With paypal and ebay fees you'd need to sell it for about 255 + shipping, just to come out at about what sprint is offering. That's hugely unlikely if its a 16gb.
as0016 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone