Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:32 PM   #26
richsadams
macrumors member

Resolved "Genius Sync" Issue

This issue was driving me a bit crazy as well. Every time I connected my iPhone 4 "Step 6 of 6" caused "Sync Genius Data" for 599 songs. It didn't take a long time, but I don't use iTunes Genius (no Genius Playlists in iTunes either) and it was annoying.

I'm running OS X v10.8.2 "Mountain Lion" and iTunes v11.0.1 using iTunes Match.

Here's how I resolved it including an odd quirk:

First I ensured that Genius was NOT turned on on my iTunes account, the iTunes app on my iMac as well as my iPhone.
  • Open iTunes
  • Under the iTunes "Store" menu I turned iTunes Match off ("Turn Genius on/off under the "Store" menu isn't an option when iTunes Match is turned on.)
  • Checked "Genius" status under the "Store" menu drop-down to ensure that it was not "On".
  • Closed iTunes
  • Openend iTunes
  • Turned iTunes Match back on and let it do its thing.
  • Closed iTunes
  • Opened iTunes and connected my iPhone.

At this point no change - Step 6 of 6 the Genius sync started again.

However, I followed the exact same steps above once more. After the second time it stopped Genius syncing. I have no idea why doing this two times worked. It might have needed to update on iTunes Match and I just didn't give it enough time.

In any case, I've reconnected my iPhone several times since then and no more Genius syncs.

I don't know if this process will work for others, but hope it helps!
richsadams is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier