Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Do the latest iPhone 5s ship with 6.0 or 6.1.3?

it will come with 6.1.3 or 6.1.4 (6.1.4 will most likely have the carrier bundle released today inside the firmware). Either that or the carrier bundle update will be included in a "newer" version of 6.1.3 which includes the carrier bundle update released today

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
And iPhone 5S is not released by Apple yet.

5s, as in the plural of 5.

I'd be very surprised if the new model is running anything lower than 6.1.3. Since there's new firmware for the WCDMA radio, I'd imagine that the flash image would be updated too.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
No, iPhone does not comes out of the box with latest iOS.
Like iPhone 4 will have iOS 4, iPhone 4S will have iOS 5, and iPhone 5 with iOS 6. All the phones are upgradable to latest iOS versions.

And iPhone 5S is not released by Apple yet.

Not always. Eventually iPhone 5s and iPhone 4S models will come with the latest if you wait long enough.

nemesis4670

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2013
I had this same question. It would be great if someone who has purchased a brand new iPhone 5 in the last few weeks could verify whether it came with 6.1.2 or below and what store they bought it from.

I am thinking about upgrading and it would be really upsetting if it came with 6.1.3 and I couldn't jailbreak it until iOS 7 came out. Would pretty much defeat the purpose since I am not very fond of stock iOS.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
it will come with 6.1.3 or 6.1.4 (6.1.4 will most likely have the carrier bundle released today inside the firmware). Either that or the carrier bundle update will be included in a "newer" version of 6.1.3 which includes the carrier bundle update released today

Wow, since when 6.1.4 was released??

nemesis4670

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2013
I'm getting my T-Mobile one replaced today (hopefully). This power button is driving me nuts with the rattling.

Cool but when they replace it do they exchange it with a brand new sealed box or is it an open box/refurbished model? Also would be great if you can keep us posted on what firmware it has.

This speculation that the firmware is random is unsettling. I can't see it being random if you're buying it from Apple so maybe the best bet is a third party retailer that has old stock. I'd assume once someone gets a 6.1.3 phone direct from Apple that shortly after they will all be 6.1.3.

I get the security risks if you don't stick to trusted Cydia sources. But I don't get why Apple is actively trying to stop jailbreaking when it's totally optional and is also majorly responsible for a big part of their sales.

You know something is wrong when the jailbreak for iOS 6 is more important than the iOS 6 upgrade itself. If they actually worked on adding all of these basic cydia tweak features we wouldn't be so concerned about jailbreaking. :mad:

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Wow, since when 6.1.4 was released??

I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear but it was an assumption should 6.1.4 come out

----------

6.1.4? What

Just an assumption should 6.1.4 come out as iOS 6.1 included carrier updates for LTE support (there was talk back then apple decided if the network was worthy of LTE before apple implemented the function so it made it seem like they wouldn't allow carrier updates for LTE support)

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Got mine 4/13 with 6.1.2 on it. From a T-mobile store. I only noticed because it prompted me to upgrade as I was getting ready to restore from my iPhone 4.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
I think if you are hoping to get 6.1.2 then you better hurry. My guess is within a few weeks, you will not find any that don't have 6.1.3 on them.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Cool but when they replace it do they exchange it with a brand new sealed box or is it an open box/refurbished model? Also would be great if you can keep us posted on what firmware it has.

This speculation that the firmware is random is unsettling. I can't see it being random if you're buying it from Apple so maybe the best bet is a third party retailer that has old stock. I'd assume once someone gets a 6.1.3 phone direct from Apple that shortly after they will all be 6.1.3.

I get the security risks if you don't stick to trusted Cydia sources. But I don't get why Apple is actively trying to stop jailbreaking when it's totally optional and is also majorly responsible for a big part of their sales.

You know something is wrong when the jailbreak for iOS 6 is more important than the iOS 6 upgrade itself. If they actually worked on adding all of these basic cydia tweak features we wouldn't be so concerned about jailbreaking. :mad:

Went to the Apple store today, my iPhone would have been replaced, but they didn't have any T-Mobile ones in stocks. I'll probably just again in a few weeks, or just deal with it.

It was on 6.1.2 and jailbroken but I updated it this morning figuring I could test my luck and see if my replacement would be on 6.1.2. Oh well now, no jailbreak since it's on 6.1.3 (I just deal with it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.