Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cselb1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Hello everyone,
My mac started crashing about 1 month ago and mainly happens when I am gaming, however it also crashes when I am web browsing, skype, basically anything. Weird horizontal box-like lines appear and then the screen freezes and changes to a rainbow like color.

I was assuming it was a RAM problem but I upgraded to 8gigs and it just happened again (was watching a youtube video). I am now guessing it may be a graphics card issue?

I have a mid 2010 MBP. 2.4ghz. I5.

About 7 months ago I had similar (but different) issues and they replaced my logicboard. Unfortunately my applecare is over and I am worried that if I bring it to the store they will charge me heaps (which I will probably end up doing), but I figured I would ask here first. Thanks

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hello everyone,
My mac started crashing about 1 month ago and mainly happens when I am gaming, however it also crashes when I am web browsing, skype, basically anything. Weird horizontal box-like lines appear and then the screen freezes and changes to a rainbow like color.

I was assuming it was a RAM problem but I upgraded to 8gigs and it just happened again (was watching a youtube video). I am now guessing it may be a graphics card issue?

About 7 months ago I had similar (but different) issues and they replaced my logicboard. Unfortunately my applecare is over and I am worried that if I bring it to the store they will charge me heaps (which I will probably end up doing), but I figured I would ask here first. Thanks

Run AHT (Apple Hardware Test to see if it passed these tests.
should be available when holding D when you start up, not 100% sure if that's on your machine but give it a try.
A 2010 17" has this so yours probably as well.

cselb1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
i ran the test, however no issues were found. I could always try and run the extended version later but it says it will take much longer

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
i ran the test, however no issues were found. I could always try and run the extended version later but it says it will take much longer

You can try the following without installing a new OS or restoring.

If you have an empty USB 8 GB minimum install OS X on that one, won't take very long, then boot from the USB stick and see if it's still there, if not you probably have a corrupted OS.

Which OS version are you running now, I make a guess, 10.8.2??

cselb1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
You can try the following without installing a new OS or restoring.

If you have an empty USB 8 GB minimum install OS X on that one, won't take very long, then boot from the USB stick and see if it's still there, if not you probably have a corrupted OS.

Which OS version are you running now, I make a guess, 10.8.2??

How would I go about installing it onto the usb? Sorry, not very tech savy. And I am running 10.7.5

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
How would I go about installing it onto the usb? Sorry, not very tech savy. And I am running 10.7.5

Hold Command-R when you start up, a screen will appear with choices, choose recovery and then pick the USB stick to install OS X on.
After it is finished it should boot into the USB stick, if not hold the Option key at startup and choose the USB.

cselb1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
I have not yet had time to try installing the OS on a flash drive, however I feel like my OS isn't faulty but maybe a hardware component? I am not sure, could be completely wrong.

Here is a pic of what happens: http://i.imgur.com/mVxJe.jpg and completely freezes.

This is the 4th time it has happened today. I would take it to apple, whoever I am abroad for another month.

Thanks

Blondie :)

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
I would say run the extended test and see what happens from there. I had a similar issue and it was the RAM. Did you get the 8GB upgrade from the same company?

cselb1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
I would say run the extended test and see what happens from there. I had a similar issue and it was the RAM. Did you get the 8GB upgrade from the same company?

Okay I will try the extended check now. I am not sure if it was the same company (however I doubt it). I never upgraded the RAM before so it was the stock version, and the new 8gig is from crucial memory.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Okay I will try the extended check now. I am not sure if it was the same company (however I doubt it). I never upgraded the RAM before so it was the stock version, and the new 8gig is from crucial memory.

If you still have the old one(s) you could also try to get back to those ones and try again, or remove one stick, try with this stick and if still there remove that one and try with the other stick, also try to move over to the other memory bank.

cselb1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
i did the extended test and nothing came up.

And as for swapping in the old ram it wouldnt make a difference because i thought the old ram was giving my the problem and that is why i changed.

i'm stumped =(

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
Hello everyone,

Did the lines looked anything like this? I also had them showing some of the screen, the only solution was to hit and hold the power button.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/834/2f5n.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.