Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nomad700

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2010
Hi,

My wife and I have separate logins on our Mac. We have Dropbox running successfully on both logins, and just tried Google Drive out of curiosity. Downloaded it on my login, and it works fine. But it won’t work on my wife’s login. A window appears stating:

“Google drive is not yet enabled for your account”.

The “learn more” option leads to a blank google web page. I searched online for answers but nothing (except this error message being typical just before Google drive went 'live').

Please can anyone help with this?

I did try to re-install the software on my wife’s login, but it wouldn’t let me do that. Maybe I need to set up her account so she has admin access etc. so she can add software?

Thanks in advance

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Has she actually activated Drive on her Google account? That sounds like what the error is implying...

nomad700

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2010
Hi Killerrobot and Hallux,

Thanks for your replies. It seems the problem (as suggested by Hallux) was simply that my wife’s google account wasn’t activated for google drive. I think I solved this by going to google drive online and signing in with my wife’s email and password. I uninstalled google drive and then re-installed it again from my wife’s login. At first it seemed to automatically use my google login, I don’t know why, although I may be mistaken (it was very late last night!) The whole process was a bit confusing, as different things seemed to happen on each login, most of which I worked out. Anyway, each login now has its own google drive account set up.

The main difference now is that under “finder” in the sidebar, on my wife’s login she has a blue “google drive” in the list, where I don’t. I can go to the icon at the top right menu bar (can’t remember the name of that menu bar) and then open my google drive folder, and I have an icon in dock along the bottom of the screen, but nothing in finder. Not the end of the world, but strange.

A window asked “Google drive wants to use your confidential information stored in google drive in your keychain”, I guess it’s ok to click on “always allow”? I’m not sure what this means.

When trying to upload a folder onto google drive web version, I got a message saying that my browser doesn’t support the uploading of entire folders, and recommended google chrome or install applet. I don’t want to use google chrome and I don’t know what the applet is ? Anyway, using the google drive in “finder” seems to allow folders to be uploaded.

Finally, i was concerned about something I saw (where did I see that?) about maximum download being 2GB (of the total 5GB). Not sure what that meant, or why. i'm going to need to send large audio files hopefully amounting to 2GB+, which is why i moved from dropbox to google. i want the receiver to be able to download without interruptions or problems.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions. Much appreciated.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
You can drag your Google Drive folder to the sidebar in the Finder.

"Always Allow" is fine for the keychain response.

The maximum size of a single non-Google Doc file that you can can upload is actually 10GB...more than is available.

On a side note, the app Insync works with your Google Drive, but can sync up multiple Google Drive accounts.

nomad700

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2010
Thanks Brian.
I “always allowed” the keychain question, following your reassurance that this is ok.
I also tried to drag the Google Drive folder to the sidebar but then the Google Drive icon was in the sidebar, not the same blue icon as in the other login, and when I click on the Google Drive icon in the sidebar, a new Finder window opens, rather than staying in the same Finder window. But still, that's an improvement (strange it's so inconsistent though, or maybe it's user error!)
Thanks also for the info about 10GB uploads and Insync info.
All the best!

nomad700

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2010
Hi,

Although I had clicked on “always allow” for the Keychain question, every time I switch on my Macbook, I get the same message: “Google drive wants to use your confidential information stored in google drive in your keychain”.

And sometimes, after clicking on “always allow”, this is followed by another window stating: “Sorry, Google Drive needs to quiet – etc”

Please can anyone help solve this?

Thanks

Bobby.e

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
Kansas
With Dropbox you can upload files as big as you have storage for from the app. It's just capped at 300mb if you use the site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.