Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbapps

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Texas
As far as the iMac, it is a All In One; thus, lack of user serviceability is a given. However, when you start talking i7, 3 TB drives, 680MX GPU, 32G memory then you are no longer targeting the average user checking mail, web surfing, etc. And, 90% of those users are going to want to tweak their systems at some point.

For example, I would love to go ahead and get a system with a 1TB drive now, but in 1-2 years when the price of SSD comes down I am going to want to move that 1TB drive to an external enclosure and stick a 512G SSD in which would be used as my root file system (os, apps, user directories, ..).

I'm more PO with Apple in terms of crippling the Mini VS not making the iMac user serviceable. My hope is the Mac Pro refresh will include some low end configurations that will be attractive to the tweaker, with a reasonable price...

burninggarlic

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
As far as the iMac, it is a All In One; thus, lack of user serviceability is a given. However, when you start talking i7, 3 TB drives, 680MX GPU, 32G memory then you are no longer targeting the average user checking mail, web surfing, etc. And, 90% of those users are going to want to tweak their systems at some point.

For example, I would love to go ahead and get a system with a 1TB drive now, but in 1-2 years when the price of SSD comes down I am going to want to move that 1TB drive to an external enclosure and stick a 512G SSD in which would be used as my root file system (os, apps, user directories, ..).

I'm more PO with Apple in terms of crippling the Mini VS not making the iMac user serviceable. My hope is the Mac Pro refresh will include some low end configurations that will be attractive to the tweaker, with a reasonable price...

I also want these features. Upgradeable hard disk is very important for most pro users.

However, I prefer external ones.

Just one plug, it can be compatible with all my Mac OS X devices. With a long term perspective, I do not need any extra work or time to configure my future device. Just one plug! Isn't it easier than upgrading your internal hard disk?

Keep your apps with the computer and take the fastest drive when you are buying it. That is the point Apple is trying so hard to develop. A fast app launching device plus the thunderbolt connection for now, when the cloud is still limited....

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Professionals and heavy users that actuary use a computing machine for work and not for browsing the internet, facebook and twitter are going to just use something else due to the iMacs incredibly bad useability. To say the sealed in iMac is just something which is happening to devices now is just stupidity. OSX is intended for people that use a computer for work. OS is a play thing for social telecom and not for specialized productive app's. Apple is shooting themselves in the foot creating a powerful machine which cannot be adapted to final use or have some sort of user serviceable elements. A sealed in unit is not for the professional educational based market that it was once designed for. For the users ok with this just sling OS on it, reduce the specs and be done with it, Apple profit tick, 90% of consumers tick because that is where Apple is pushing the market.

I need an Apple machine that can allow me to change some individual parts, have serviceable elements as simple as being able to clear the dust out every year, with the performance I want and at a price I can afford. If Apple cannot do this with the iMac then I might as well go back to the Windows camp where professionals and people who want to be able to work and alike will be forced to go. This will effectively cut off part of the feeder series to the Mac pro market reducing demand for that significantly. Apple OS lovers can be left to bathe in their money floundering stupidity not knowing how to efficiently use the tools of their trade and upon joining the ranks of the iSheep progressively reduce the standard IQ level to those who sell predetermined items dependent on higher command.

Why is it that the fundamental minority, the people it was originally design for are now disregarded when already a saturated market for the majority exists. The majority should be made to accept some of the features of the minority so that we can do our job and so they can do theirs, together, and maybe we can learn a few things from both sides instead of steam rolling us the minority in to submission. Rant over now let's talk about this?

kurzz

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Apple is transitioning their computers into appliances. Sadly, it's one that gets replaced fairly often. Most people are content with replacing, or having a pro repair, their computers, like fridges, stoves, microwaves, etc.

I'd say the same thing is (slowly) happening with the car industry.

mapleleafer

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2009
I can envision Apple abandoning the computer business sometime in the future. It's becoming less and less a source of profit for them, and profit is the name of their game. Or maybe some day they'll sell an iPad on a stand and call it an xMac.

shigzeo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2005
Japan
More ridiculous than a computer that doesn't open, is a bloody Toshiba washing machine that won't open during on/off cycle unless you completely unplug the thing, wait an hour, or unscrew the entire contraption.

I left a woollen sock inside during dry cycle. Can't get it out without calling a mechanic. Computer? Maybe need to open once or twice, ever. Maybe. Most likely no need. Washing machine? Multiple times a month.

If you are worried about user friendly devices, Apple are top of the heap in many ways even when one of the worst in the computing world. Come to Japan and find that everything from toilets to clothes pins can't be fixed. This place is 100% full of throw away devices.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Desktops are meant to be userfriendly/serviceable for the main stuff. Now they've made it harder to do that. If that's what people wanted, they would've just bought Macbook AIrs this whole times...

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
i honestly what to know what people are upgrading or wanting to up grade? You can already purchase the machine with just about everything you want to do. The normal user cares nothing about throughput speed, its why firewire never caught on, USB was easier. The minority that is the tinkerer simply doesn't justify enough for it to be user serviceable.

The other part is that more often than not, users will try to upgrade their machine, **** it up and then claim some sort of warranty when its their own fault.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.