Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:37 PM   #1
photogpab
macrumors 6502

Blu-Ray Backup

Been trying to compress a 50gb blu-ray to 25gb disc. someone recommended DVDFab but i've been reading some reviews that the compression dvdfab does to the blu-ray is not always very good?

anyone have experience with this software? other recommendations?

i also have MakeMKV and Handbrake but all i need to know is the best way to compress the main film on the blu-ray to fit on a 25gb disc with as little loss of quality as possible.

tips?

Last edited by photogpab; Jan 10, 2013 at 07:59 PM.
photogpab is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:57 PM   #2
matteusclement
macrumors 65816

handbrake?
matteusclement is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:04 PM   #3
photogpab
macrumors 6502

i dont know how to use handbrake other than the usual presets like "apple tv 3" or whatever. and that compresses the video down considerably because the movie will go from a 25gb file to a 6gb file.

what i want is to just copy the movie from one disc to the other with as little compression as possible.

if i rip the film with MakeMKV is there a handbrake setting that lets me compress the file as little as possible so it will fit on a 25GB disc?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:37 PM   #4
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Why do you need a backup on disc format? Most devices will happily play the ripped / compressed file without need to go down the 'burn to disc route'....

Also you can easily set up 1920x1080 or 1280x720 handbrake profiles. If you can rip a disc or burn a disc the level of technical expertise needed to change a few small settings in Handbrake is little.

Unless of course there is an ulterior motive necessitating ripping and burning a copy.
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:27 AM   #5
photogpab
macrumors 6502

i dont have any ulterior motives. my question was simple. I wanted to know if anyone here uses DVDFab for compression and if they recommend it.

if you're suggesting im making illegal copies of movies i'm not. i own a physical copy of the movie i'm trying to copy, but i dont like lending out my original movies to friends as i never ever ever get them back.

i dont think i need to go into a whole explanation... i just wanted simple helpful advice.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video