Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:15 PM   #1
imaketouchtheme
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to imaketouchtheme
Business Card Design

I need some input on the design for my business card. I'm looking for something simple and to the point. I like the look of black business cards as well. Would it look odd if the back of this card was in white and the front in black?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-01-17 at 10.06.44 AM.png
Views:	48
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	390893  
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:30 PM   #2
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaketouchtheme View Post
Would it look odd if the back of this card was in white and the front in black?
They look nice, but I have two problems with dark cards.
  1. glossy ones printed on white stock can often get scuffed up and become unreadable
  2. printed on black stock, you can't use the back for notes, etc...

B
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:41 PM   #3
heehee
macrumors 68020

Why not pick a black cardstock?
heehee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:52 PM   #4
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by heehee View Post
Why not pick a black cardstock?
Can't write (easily) on black stock. I really do write on lots of cards.

I had cards that were white in front, dark blue (matte) in the back. Looked great when fresh, looked like crap after being in my wallet/briefcase for a while. The blue rubbed off onto the adjacent cards and ended up all icky.

B
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:29 PM   #5
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

I prefer white or light colored business cards.
ucfgrad93 is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:13 PM   #6
obeygiant
macrumors 68040

Will your name be on the card?
obeygiant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:55 AM   #7
imaketouchtheme
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeygiant View Post
Will your name be on the card?
I think I'm going to leave my name off for now. It is basically just myself and a couple friends doing the work.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:16 AM   #8
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

There's a LOT of empty space on that card. I'd make the text a little bit bigger. It seems kinda small.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:45 AM   #9
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
Can't write (easily) on black stock. I really do write on lots of cards.

I had cards that were white in front, dark blue (matte) in the back. Looked great when fresh, looked like crap after being in my wallet/briefcase for a while. The blue rubbed off onto the adjacent cards and ended up all icky.

B
Yep that is the key part to them is writing on them. Some examples I have written on the back of some of my cards is thinks like my personal cell phone number. Another is my extension at work or a different address.

I also have given them to a friend and yeah I write a bit more on them.
As for ones I have gotten I may write what they link up with so when I see the card it helps me remember why I have it.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:38 PM   #10
fiddlestyx
macrumors 6502

I think someone mentioned it, but there is a lot of empty space in the middle. Maybe make the font at the top a bit bigger.

Also, I agree with the comments about light colored cards. I end up writing notes on cards that I give/get and it's difficult to do that on a black card.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:05 PM   #11
tech4all
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaketouchtheme View Post
I need some input on the design for my business card. I'm looking for something simple and to the point. I like the look of black business cards as well. Would it look odd if the back of this card was in white and the front in black?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
The white line is sorta bothering me. Maybe get rid of it? If you must have it, I would get rid of the part that goes down and just leave the horizontal part of it. Either have it solid or fade out.

Also double check to be sure your text is lining up. They seem a bit off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post
There's a LOT of empty space on that card. I'd make the text a little bit bigger. It seems kinda small.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestyx View Post
I think someone mentioned it, but there is a lot of empty space in the middle. Maybe make the font at the top a bit bigger.

Also, I agree with the comments about light colored cards. I end up writing notes on cards that I give/get and it's difficult to do that on a black card.
Respectfully disagree. Nothing is wrong with white/negative space. It can be used used as a design element.

For text size, leave the blue font alone, but increase the white text by one point or so. It does look a tad bit small. Not a problem for me, but if someone with less than perfect vision tries to read it, then might have some difficulty. Are the two white fonts two different whites? The bottom one looks a tad darker...at least on my screen.

Oh and this is personal preference, but I never put "www" at the beginning of a web address. Unnecessary IMO. But that's me and doesn't affect the layout/design.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:47 AM   #12
imaketouchtheme
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech4all View Post
The white line is sorta bothering me. Maybe get rid of it? If you must have it, I would get rid of the part that goes down and just leave the horizontal part of it. Either have it solid or fade out.

Also double check to be sure your text is lining up. They seem a bit off.

Respectfully disagree. Nothing is wrong with white/negative space. It can be used used as a design element.

For text size, leave the blue font alone, but increase the white text by one point or so. It does look a tad bit small. Not a problem for me, but if someone with less than perfect vision tries to read it, then might have some difficulty. Are the two white fonts two different whites? The bottom one looks a tad darker...at least on my screen.

Oh and this is personal preference, but I never put "www" at the beginning of a web address. Unnecessary IMO. But that's me and doesn't affect the layout/design.
Thanks for the input! I didn't think about the small size and light font being hard to read. They are different whites, I tried to put more of an emphasis on the "description" of my business. I ordered 1,000 of them (only $15 with free shipping from VistaPrint) so I'll see how I like them and go from there.

Thanks everyone!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:19 PM   #13
roberthalles
macrumors newbie

I think it is a good looking card, I do agree that you should be able to write on the back.

You should use white stock, and print black on the front and use a UV clear coat to give it a glossy look.

That way one could write on the back.
roberthalles is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion