Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yogakun

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
How do your remove all data from an Imac and restore it to it's original boot OS (Lion). I know there was an option at the startup.

I want the most secure option to remove all my data, because I'm selling it.

Scuba-EMT

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Solomons Island, MD
Remove all applications except for the Apple apps, and of course remove all of your data, reset Safari, delete all user account except for the Admin. Make a new user account (I called mine "new owner"), reboot the machine and log into the new account that your just made, delete your old user account. Go to Applications, Utilities, Disk Utilities, Click on your Primary HD, Select the Erase Tab, then look in the lower right side of the windows for Erase Free Space. Click the Security Option button first and choose 3-pass, then click the Erase Free Space. DO NOT CLICK THE ERASE BUTTON. Depending on your HD size it will take from 5-10 hours, but your are as safe as you can be that your information is gone, short of replacing the drive.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
How do your remove all data from an Imac and restore it to it's original boot OS (Lion). I know there was an option at the startup.

I want the most secure option to remove all my data, because I'm selling it.

Hold Command+R while booting to get into recovery mode.

I can't remember where the restore button is (And I can't find an article about it) but see how that goes.

Don't know what the other guy is talking about...

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
Hold Command+R while booting to get into recovery mode.

I can't remember where the restore button is (And I can't find an article about it) but see how that goes.

Don't know what the other guy is talking about...

He's talking about zeroing the disk, albeit in a complicated way.

ivbaseball06

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2010
1. Use Disk Utility to burn the 'Mac OS X Lion DVD' to a DVD or external drive. If using an external, first erase it ('Erase' tab) and partition it ('Partition' tab) with 1 GUID Partition Table (default, check under 'Options'). Also make sure it's Mac OS Journaled (default, but double-check). Now you can burn the .dmg file onto the external or DVD using the 'Restore' tab.
--If you already have a Lion DVD or flash drive, this is not necessary.

2. System Preferences > Startup Disk > Select External/DVD with disk image > Restart

3. You will now boot from disk image you made. Once the installation opens up, go to the top bar to 'Utilities' and click 'Disk Utility'. Find the hard drive that you want to install OS X on. Go to the 'Erase' tab and erase it. You can zero it out too if you want, though it takes a long time. Go to the 'Partition' tab and partition it (same steps as in #1). Once erased, exit Disk Utility.

4. Follow the OS X instructions to install Lion. When you get to the screen asking what drive to install on, click the internal drive.

5. Your computer will restart after it's done and will boot to the new desktop after you set the language, time, registration, etc.

Hope that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.