Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thebullet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2012
Something under home button.
I've had my iphone a week now and yesterday the home button sounded funny, it sounds like it clicks twice, almost as if something is under the buttons really irritating, like a bit of grit or something making this crunchy sound. It work fine but this sound is bugging me.

Anyone had the same issue? Or know how to clear it if there is an issue!

Cheers.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
Something under home button.
I've had my iphone a week now and yesterday the home button sounded funny, it sounds like it clicks twice, almost as if something is under the buttons really irritating, like a bit of grit or something making this crunchy sound. It work fine but this sound is bugging me.

Anyone had the same issue? Or know how to clear it if there is an issue!

Cheers.

It's a pretty rare issue for the iPhone 5 since Apple completely reconfigured their approach towards installing the home button on to the device.

You mention that you bought the phone about a week ago -- I would take it back to the Apple store as soon as possible and swap it out with a new phone just to be safe.

FixBrokeni

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
Definitely in need of a home button replacement. Apple should replace your device for you free of charge.

Thebullet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2012
It's a pretty rare issue for the iPhone 5 since Apple completely reconfigured their approach towards installing the home button on to the device.

You mention that you bought the phone about a week ago -- I would take it back to the Apple store as soon as possible and swap it out with a new phone just to be safe.

Hmm I got it from three on contract so I might take it back to them, the restof the phone is perfect just this, I wonder if it will go away after time?

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
Hmm I got it from three on contract so I might take it back to them, the restof the phone is perfect just this, I wonder if it will go away after time?

It is possible that the home button could wear in after time, but most people, from what I know at least, haven't experienced clicking home buttons from unboxing -- it was pretty flush with their device from unboxing. It's your choice, personally, I'd replace it at Apple -- especially after only a week of owning the phone.

Thebullet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2012
My only concern about that is I could get an even worse one that's scuffed or starts clicking again. It might be muck stuck under it. Hmm not sure on what to do.

Thebullet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2012
Actually there is movement in the home button which is why there is this sound, seems a common issue actually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.