Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:15 AM   #251
flameproof
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsco View Post
I play with every OS I can get my hands on have a old droidx just to throw different OS and roms at bricked it more times than I can count but you can make it what you want use it mainly as a media remote for my tv right now its running a basic miui rom also messing with raspberrypi to see what I can make it do not much yet just cool for the money. Got umbuntu on one laptop not my fave. Like IOS for simplicity very functional IOS fans can be a bit like religious fanatics though will not even touch something else.
Please complete this sentence:

This is relevant to the topic because..........
flameproof is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:40 AM   #252
haruhiko
macrumors 68030
 
haruhiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
If this product is a success, then history will be re-written and all of a sudden Apple will become the copycat
__________________
Mac: rMBP'12, iMac'08/24", Mini'09, MBP'10/15", MBA'11/13". iPhone: 5s/64S 5/64B, 4S/64W, 4/32B, 3GS/16. iPT: 3G,1G. iPad: Air,Mini2,4,3/LTE/64 2/3G/32, 1/WiFi/16. ATV'12,'11, AEBS'09, TC'13/2TB
haruhiko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:41 AM   #253
Lifequest
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Whatever. Fanboys will see it only as a money grab. I see it as opportunistic.
I see synonyms.

Nothing wrong with money grabbing. They're a company.
__________________
Discrete: separate; distinct. Discrete graphics.
Discreet: cautious; careful; secretive.
Lifequest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:42 AM   #254
Psychj0e
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaKat View Post
Ridiculous. You can't even see your own ignorance. America is your bad guy, and you have no desire for that to change. Bad America, the world is poor because America took all the money. Boo hoo for us.

I never said America was saving anything! Thats just the attitude you want me to have so it confirms to your ignorance about America. We just happened to be talking about an AMERICAN company! I understand that Apple doesn't hold the trademark for IPHONE in Brazil, duh, why else would we be having the conversation? And again, you are putting words in my mouth when you say I think Apple should ignore the local laws. LOL Why do you think I mentioned going to the Brazilian government and letting them handle it? The point YOU are missing is that people buy up trademarks (in every country - not just Brazil - since you seem to be uber sensitive) and then do nothing with them. Then when a company (from any where in the world) that "creates" (products, jobs, money) comes along these snakes jump out and make them pay because 20 years ago they bought up a bunch of words and trademarked them for no reason other then to hopefully some day, fleece a legitimate company in court. I said the same thing about Proview in China, and the same thing about the company that held the iPhone trademark in Mexico. Screw them. Don't play their game. Of course money is king, so they will do the math and if it makes sense to pay them off they will, but I PERSONALLY don't like it. Hence why I posted.

AND I DIDN'T INSERT TWO RANDOM COMPANIES BECAUSE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT APPLE IN BRAZIL!!!!!!!!!
What should the Brazilian Government take care of? There's nothing to take care of, because the company hasn't done anything wrong. Only in your eyes because it's against an American company. That's the point, this is entirely legal.

And seriously, they've just bought up a bunch of words in your view? Funny how you don't have this attitude when it comes to Apple & Samsung. Oh yeah that's right, one's owned by a non-American company.

Seriously, what is wrong with you?
Psychj0e is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:57 AM   #255
ncaissie
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipduran View Post
Tried it.

Can confirm it's dull.
iOs is a lot more Dull than android.
__________________
2011 MacBook Pro iPod touch 2G iFone 5! iPad 2 ATV 2G
ncaissie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:30 AM   #256
WhoDaKat
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychj0e View Post
What should the Brazilian Government take care of? There's nothing to take care of, because the company hasn't done anything wrong. Only in your eyes because it's against an American company. That's the point, this is entirely legal.

And seriously, they've just bought up a bunch of words in your view? Funny how you don't have this attitude when it comes to Apple & Samsung. Oh yeah that's right, one's owned by a non-American company.

Seriously, what is wrong with you?
Whats wrong with me is I'm sick of your America bashing. Your comments don't even make sense because you're looking through a veil of ignorance and hate. Let me be as ambiguous as possible so I don't upset your delicate sensibilities. One company of whatever national origin you'd like goes to sell goods of whatever nature you'd like, to a foreign nation (which ever you choose) and runs into legal issues of your choosing with a local company. The original company can go to the foreign government and see if there is any thing they can do to persuade the local company to rethink their position. Now don't get excited, this isn't a gangster movie. When I say persuade I mean things like tax breaks or special incentives, not breaking knee caps or anything Machiavellian. Why would a foreign government do something like this? Simple, if the original company is bringing value to the country, lets say jobs, then it may be in the foreign governments best interest to try to broker a deal. What would be wrong with that? Does that explain my position clearly enough? Try making your argument without the words America or Brazil and you'll see that the ignorance lies with you.

And I don't care what country you come from, I think its crap when a company that doesn't produce goods or services comes after a company that does for trademark violations on something they don't even use. Follow the logic. Should I be able to sit down with a dictionary and just start trademarking every word I come across? It seems ridiculous that I can trademark a word for nothing. The spirit of the trademark is that you can protect something that identifies your product or service but these folks have no product or service its just a selfish money grab. Hey, I don't know you, that kind of thing may be perfectly fine to you, but its my opinion that this world has plenty of people making money off of nothing and fewer and fewer companies that actually do something that creates value. Your problem is you see it as a local good ole' boy company sticking it to the big bad American company and that sir, is a veil of ignorance that skews your perspective.
WhoDaKat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:46 PM   #257
Psychj0e
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaKat View Post
Whats wrong with me is I'm sick of your America bashing. Your comments don't even make sense because you're looking through a veil of ignorance and hate. Let me be as ambiguous as possible so I don't upset your delicate sensibilities. One company of whatever national origin you'd like goes to sell goods of whatever nature you'd like, to a foreign nation (which ever you choose) and runs into legal issues of your choosing with a local company. The original company can go to the foreign government and see if there is any thing they can do to persuade the local company to rethink their position. Now don't get excited, this isn't a gangster movie. When I say persuade I mean things like tax breaks or special incentives, not breaking knee caps or anything Machiavellian. Why would a foreign government do something like this? Simple, if the original company is bringing value to the country, lets say jobs, then it may be in the foreign governments best interest to try to broker a deal. What would be wrong with that? Does that explain my position clearly enough? Try making your argument without the words America or Brazil and you'll see that the ignorance lies with you.

And I don't care what country you come from, I think its crap when a company that doesn't produce goods or services comes after a company that does for trademark violations on something they don't even use. Follow the logic. Should I be able to sit down with a dictionary and just start trademarking every word I come across? It seems ridiculous that I can trademark a word for nothing. The spirit of the trademark is that you can protect something that identifies your product or service but these folks have no product or service its just a selfish money grab. Hey, I don't know you, that kind of thing may be perfectly fine to you, but its my opinion that this world has plenty of people making money off of nothing and fewer and fewer companies that actually do something that creates value. Your problem is you see it as a local good ole' boy company sticking it to the big bad American company and that sir, is a veil of ignorance that skews your perspective.
I'm sorry, but have you read the original article? They're an electronics company, and at one point they were the Brazilian equivalent of Sony. So of course they have a history of making something, and in this case they still are because they're going to make a new type of android mobile called the Iphone, a phone which they first conceptualised before Apple even sold their first iPod.

Last edited by Psychj0e; Dec 20, 2012 at 01:04 PM.
Psychj0e is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:58 PM   #258
Risco
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United Kingdom
If the iPhone had not been successful they would not have given a crap about the name. This is nothing more than patent trolling, regardless of whether they came up with the name first or not...
__________________
15" Macbook Pro 2012, 2.3ghz, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD | iPhone 5s 32GB Space Grey
Risco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:54 PM   #259
speedylomeli
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Lake Tahoe, CA
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtonsApple View Post
They applied in 2000 fair and square when there was barely an "i" anything. iphone is already established. The question is why was apple never sued 5 yrs ago. There will be no confusion. Apple would be wasting time fighting a trademark that someone else thought of first. Get over it.
Sure they do. They have 10 dollar phones.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
Did you know that Brazil has more cell phones per capita than any country on earth?
Sure they do. They have 10 dollar phones. Amazing right?
speedylomeli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:06 AM   #260
Krazyfrog
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
What is funny about this is that Apple isn't even the one that owns "iPhone", it is Cisco.

"Cisco obtained the iPhone trademark in 2000 after completing the acquisition of Infogear, which previously owned the mark and sold iPhone products for several years. Infogear's original filing for the trademark dates to March 20, 1996."

So if they try to get their product in the US, they will have a fight on their hands for sure!
Krazyfrog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 06:57 AM   #261
jasonbogen
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Whatever. Fanboys will see it only as a money grab. I see it as opportunistic.
LOL @ haters who make comments like that thinking they aren't as biased as the people they are calling fanboys.

This is a legal issue. Trademarks are not like URLs. You have to use it to maintain it. You can find evidence of this all over the place. From Wiki:

Trademarks rights must be maintained through actual lawful use of the trademark. These rights will cease if a mark is not actively used for a period of time, normally 5 years in most jurisdictions.
jasonbogen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:50 PM   #262
CQd44
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edinburg, Texas
Send a message via AIM to CQd44 Send a message via MSN to CQd44
This probably one of the few legal cases where Apple would be in the right to pursue something.

IPHONE.

My goodness.
__________________
C2Q Q9550 @ 3.2 GHz, GeForce 570GTX, 8 GB DDR2-1200 RAM, 2 TB + 1 TB + 500 GB + 300 GB Storage + 30 GB SSD
LG Nexus 4 running Android 4.2.1
ASUS U43JC bamboo laptop. So nice!
CQd44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:28 PM   #263
flpc
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Iphone vs Eephone

I read the news and the local brand called Gradiente who owns "Iphone" trademark created a video trying to explain this mess. They said the name had come from "internet phone". I guess they're right, but I'm brazilian and in 2000s if someone had this ideia, the pronounce would be "Eephone" not "Iphone".

flpc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:41 PM   #264
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
The latest...

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/w...s-market.html/

"Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) has lost the exclusive right to use the iPhone name to sell its smartphone in Brazil, Forbes said. The Brazilian Institute for Industrial Property rejected the company’s request to regain the naming right from local electronics firm IGB Eletrônica SA, or Gradiente, which had originally asked for the trademark back in 2000."

More via link
samcraig is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:50 PM   #265
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God
 
kdarling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 23+.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtonsApple View Post
They applied in 2000 fair and square when there was barely an "i" anything.
Historical note: there were plenty of "i" names back when the internet was just getting popular. Apple didn't invent the idea... they just used it like everyone else.

That's why Apple's ad agency talked Steve Jobs into using "iMac" instead of the name he wanted to use (the "MacMan"... a horrible takeoff on the Sony Walkman, PacMan, et al).

I recently found a internet/interactive i-trademark and i-name list I compiled a while ago. Here it is. Enjoy!

Red = Apple trademark, Blue = a name or trademark later used by Apple.

1987 - iNet (online storage)

1992 - iScreen (online computer manuals)

1993 - iTV (interactive TV)
1993 - ICONNECT (internet professionals)

1994 - iPod chair (internet equipped pod chair - Australia)
1994 - iBank (remote banking comms)

1995 - iCOMM (internet comms)
1995 - IMall (internet business)
1995 - iNET (internet comms)
1995 - ishop (internet store software)
1995 - IStore (internet shopping)
1995 - iRock (internet music radio)
1995 - I-SITE (internet comms)
1995 - I-FAX (internet to fax)
1995 - I-Central (internet consulting)
1995 - iFind (MCI directory)
1995 - IVIEW (interactive USAF viewer)
1995 - ICast (internet broadcasts)
1995 - iCity (internet hosting)

1996 - iHome (intelligent/interactive home)
1996 - iMessage (internet mail)
1996 - iRadio (interactive internet radio)
1996 - iBox (internet computer for home)
1996 - IBrowse (internet browser for Amiga)
1996 - i-Remote (internet TV remote control)
1996 - iBooks (interactive books)
1996 - iGames (internet gambling)
1996 - iMonitor (integrated systems monitor)
1996 - iKiosk (internet printer)
1996 - iName (internet addresses)
1996 - iPrint (internet printing)
1996 - iPhoto (internet printing)
1996 - iCall (internet comms)
1996 - iQuest (QWEST internet)
1996 - i-Page (paging handsets from internet)
1996 - iTel (internet media transfer)
1996 - I800 (internet directory)
1996 - I.CHALLENGE (internet gaming)

1997 - IMail (Internet Explorer Mail)
1997 - iWORLD (internet community)
1997 - iPoint (embedded Internet APIs)
1997 - iPump (internet reference design)
1997 - iMeter (internet meter reader)
1997 - I Antiques & I Collectibles
1997 - i-MAGIC (interactive learning)
1997 - iCube (internet kiosk)
1997 - IPostOffice
1997 - iRenaissance (internet software)
1997 - iCommunity (internet BBS)
1997 - iMatch (internet dating)
1997 - INote (internet note taker)
1997 - Iplay (internet games)
1997 - iPhone (internet phone)
1997 - IPAD (Internet Protocol ADapter box)
1997 - IPad (interactive notepad - Cross pens)


1998 - iMagic (interactive ad company)
1998 - iTourist (interactive ads)
1998 - iGovernment (info)
1998 - itravel (internet travel agency)
1998 - INews (internet news)
1998 - IView (interent adapter)
1998 - iAPP (internet job applications)
1998 - iAnnounce (internet announcements)
1998 - iInvite (internet invitations)
1998 - iNote (internet sticky notes)
1998 - iMac by Apple
1998 - imouse (interactive mouse)

1999 - idesk (internet management)
1999 - iform (internet data)
1999 - iTerm (internet web terminal)
1999 - i-Opener (internet web computer)
1999 - IPOD (internet protocol converter)
1999 - iNews24 (internet News site)
1999 - iCatalog (internet catalog)
1999 - iTours (internet tour booking)
1999 - iBook by Apple
1999 - iFrame (internet photo network)

2000 - ICard (internet bank card services)
2000 - iDirect (internet direct satellite link)
2000 - iVacation (internet home rentals)
2000 - iRad (internet radio)
2000 - iPAQ (internet computer)
2000 - iPod (internet kiosk - NJ company)

2001 - iTunes by Apple
2001 - iPod by Apple


AND my favorite preApple i-Trademark of them all...
A product that used ONLY the lowercase letter "i"...

Name:  i-name-1997-att.png
Views: 354
Size:  2.9 KB
kdarling is offline   7 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice please! [iPhone 5C or look at the android phones?] michaelpri Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 16 Nov 7, 2013 08:34 PM
iPhone 5/5S easier in hand than Android phones ? Tig Bitties iPhone 2 Sep 25, 2013 11:19 AM
iPhone: Why is the iPhone better than Android phones? raptorstv Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 253 Mar 1, 2013 09:31 AM
Firm Owning 'IPHONE' Trademark in Brazil Open to Selling Mark to Apple MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 140 Feb 26, 2013 03:48 AM
Apple Officially Loses 'iPhone' Trademark Dispute in Brazil, Appeals and Lawsuits Coming MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 38 Feb 19, 2013 06:16 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC