Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeicaMan111

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Hi,

I got my new iMac 27 Inch. What known problems do I need to look for before my 2 weeks are up in case it needs to be returned?

For example I have heard that there are display issues involving shadowing and what not? How do I look for these?

Are there any other things I need to check for to make sure that I don't have a lemon?

Many thanks in advance.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Just thought I'd chime in before the usuals come here and scare you to death. No jokes, but the first thing that should be on your checklist is; "Don't look for anything wrong".

You may not take my post seriously, you might feel the need to ignore it but the "usuals" that reply to your thread will give you a handful for sure and it will just drive you mad everyday you look at your iMac. I'm just trying to prevent you from doing unnecessary returns just because others are pointing out things that they see that you may not.

If you do have problems, by all means take it back to Apple but you should discover issues on your own. Somebody's problem may not be somebody else's. Don't open this can of worms for your own good. :)

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
Try to remember that for every one person who complained of a problem there are 50 others who have had no problems. It's a beautiful machine, enjoy it.

LeicaMan111

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Thanks for the reassuring posts. :)

Of course I have found nothing wrong with the machine. It is a beauty!

Nice to hear that all these "problems" are just hyped up.

One thing I am curious about though. Say a few months down the road, the machine dies. How do I send it to Apple for warranty service? Will they collect and pay for shipping both ways? Or do I have to pay shipping for the huge beast myself?

Thanks again.

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
I suppose that depends on where you live. I have an Apple Store 45 minutes for my own. If I needed a repair, I would just take it to the Apple Store. But, chances are you won't need to know where the one closest to you is.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Thanks for the reassuring posts. :)

Of course I have found nothing wrong with the machine. It is a beauty!

Nice to hear that all these "problems" are just hyped up.

One thing I am curious about though. Say a few months down the road, the machine dies. How do I send it to Apple for warranty service? Will they collect and pay for shipping both ways? Or do I have to pay shipping for the huge beast myself?

Thanks again.

Well here in the USA I do know for a fact that they will pay for shipping back and forth for service.

MacFro

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2013
I second the "don't look for anything wrong" advice.

Just test all the different tasks you will use it for. Web, photoshop, play games, video editing/conversion or whatever you will be doing in front of your new machine. If it works great, it works great :)

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
Hi,

I got my new iMac 27 Inch. What known problems do I need to look for before my 2 weeks are up in case it needs to be returned?

For example I have heard that there are display issues involving shadowing and what not? How do I look for these?

Are there any other things I need to check for to make sure that I don't have a lemon?

Many thanks in advance.

1. Examine the outside of the iMac and look for scuffs, scratches.
2. Test for image retention and dead pixels, but don't drive yourself nuts over this. I had image retention 2 times on my iMac, and then never again. I think it was a power supply issue from my APC. I think i have 1 dead pixel, who cares... I tested for light bleed, but thats a bit over the top for me.

I love my iMac, hope you love yours

LeicaMan111

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
1. Examine the outside of the iMac and look for scuffs, scratches.
2. Test for image retention and dead pixels, but don't drive yourself nuts over this. I had image retention 2 times on my iMac, and then never again. I think it was a power supply issue from my APC. I think i have 1 dead pixel, who cares... I tested for light bleed, but thats a bit over the top for me.

I love my iMac, hope you love yours

What is image retention? How do I test for it? And what is light bleed :confused:

I checked for dead pixels and there are none.

Thanks and yes I am loving the iMac :D I wish it had a retina display though! Kinda spoilt by my MacBook Pro's Retina display...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.