Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Is that really your commentary on his post? Are you really suggesting a watch shouldn't be waterproof to say - at least - a meter? Or extremely water resistant?

Not at all, but it always kind of grosses me out to think people don't wash under their watch...

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
I've re-read the above multiple times and can't figure out if it's sarcasm or not.

Dear gawd I hope so - and for many reasons.

The life-changing potential?

Remember back in the days before mobile phones? How did mankind survive?

Just because something has the power to change your life doesn't mean you can't live without it. A bit of an inconsistency in your logic.

If you think recent tech-- iPhones, etc.-- hasn't been tremendously life-changing for people, I'm not sure you you get it.

If one of your many issues with my statement has to do with the purpose of a smart-watch, I'll file you under the same skeptics I debated who doubted the impact of the iPhone and iPad. And don't start on the "this time it's different" BS, because the skeptics say that exact thing every time.

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
if you look its because he posts nothing but apple bashing comments since he joined. Perhaps its a hobby of his.

Actually, if you look you'll see I've been on the account for many years. I've also owned 4 generations of iPhone, 3 generations of iMac and fondly remember buying the original iPod so please don't assume on my behalf. Fact is, I do now dislike Apple; and had you been an apple product buyer and supporter of the brand for as long as I have then maybe you might feel the same after the way Apple have conducted their business the last few years! EVERYONE is beating apple on products and who's to blame .... APPLE!!!!

----------

In case you lived under a rock, they just did an iPhone 5 which sold faster than the galaxy S4 which came out recently.

Yeah, I bought the iPhone 5 after owning every other generation iPhone ... Then quickly sold it due to its bland and uninspiring design and function. I'm now loving the S4. Thanks for the lesson on when which phone came out when though!!!

Also, your rock must be bigger than mine because the iPhone 5 didn't do as well on release as you might think, nor is it doing well now. I'd also point out sales of the S4 are forecasted to outsell the iPhone 5 by a significant margin. I think time (and apple users lost to Samsung, HTC and Nokia) will reveal just what the man on the street is thinking!!!!

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
No, they are currently making money off of the the products they sell. They haven't made any money from their lawsuits, and they legally minimize their tax burden (evasion implies not paying what is owed).

Would you like to make a second attempt at those cheap shots?

No, they make their money from high prices, mugging owners to re-buy the same product twice when they make version 2 what version 1 should have been in the first place .... and finally, tax evasion!!!

As for selling products ... Not seen a new and decent product from apple for some significant time!

Pretty good second shot I'd say!!!

----------

Be fair. They also update old products to make them thinner.

Yes, which in the case of the iMac is the reason why I won't be buying another ... Moving the SD card slot from the side to the back just to make it thinner (totally pointless!) just shows apple designers are so far up their own backsides, they can't see what people actually want!!! (form over function)

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
Don't make me laugh, New Products, Apple ... Apple only makes money these days by tax evasion and suing competitors in court. Makes sense then that any new product isn't even available for at least a year (giving competitors time to beat Apple to market and thus giving Apple more ammo to jump back into court again!!!)

that samsung lawsuit issues them 2 billion or so (which they haven't paid yet).

Didn't apple make like 50 billion last quarter with like 9 billion profits?

I think you have tunnel vision buddy.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
You had me until #7. IWorks? Really? REALLY? Really...
For the .000000876% of people who honestly give a sheet about it I guess this is BIG news but for the other 99.999999124%, well this is about as relevant as a new announcement about Google+.

The poster I quoted specifically asked about new versions of iWork. I'm guessing you didn't read it. Additionally, I like iWork a lot, and I'm looking forward to an upgraded version. Furthermore, Apple is a large company and can work on multiple things at once.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
If (a big if) Apple needs a new device this year, a watch isn't it. iPhones in multiple sizes would provide a bigger boost than a watch ever will.

We're likely getting an all new, made in America Mac Pro (the most likely candidate), a redesigned iOS7, retina iPad Mini, and a redesigned iPad that's significantly narrower, thinner, and lighter. Personally, I think Apple will be fine. WWDC is coming up soon, at least wait for that before saying Apple needs a new device.

Every company needs new products. That's how the business grows. Without all-new products companies wither on the vine. A new Mac Pro is nice, but it will hardly show up on Apple's balance sheet. It could be the most niche product Apple sells now. Other updates on existing products are welcome to, but that doesn't get growth when those products are mature.

Apple thrives when it creates a new product space in the market - iPod, iPhone, iPad. But those are old hat now. No one buys iPods anymore, people have iPhones now and just upgrade every 2 years when eligible, and anyone who wants an iPad has one now. Even grandmothers have them so you know the market is saturated and competitive.

Nice. You managed to both call me a child and insinuate I use my iPhone to impress people. Go ahead and swallow whatever tripe Apple throws your way. I'll get buy just fine without this ridiculous nerd-gadget.

I didn't need to insinuate anything:

YOUR WORDS: "Let's see, a $100+ dollar device on my wrist so I don't have to pull my very cool and very expensive iPhone out of my pocket..."

Usually when someone makes note of how much something they own costs it's to impress, especially in conjunction with belittling something that is less expensive than what the speaker has, otherwise why mention that it's "cool" and "expensive"? Such adjectives add zero to any intellectual argument against the functionality or usefulness of an iWatch.

Last edited:

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
Every company needs new products. That's how the business grows. Without all-new products companies wither on the vine. A new Mac Pro is nice, but it will hardly show up on Apple's balance sheet. It could be the most niche product Apple sells now. Other updates on existing products are welcome to, but that doesn't get growth when those products are mature.

Apple thrives when it creates a new product space in the market - iPod, iPhone, iPad. But those are old hat now. No one buys iPods anymore, people have iPhones now and just upgrade every 2 years when eligible, and anyone who wants an iPad has one now. Even grandmothers have them so you know the market is saturated and competitive.

I never said Apple never needs to introduce a new product ever again. I simply questioned your adamance that it had to happen this year. I also indicated that a watch won't be on the same level as the iPhone or iPad. It may sell really well, but it likely won't become one of Apple's 'pillars'. If they actually needed a new product, it wouldn't be enough on its own. Luckily they don't need a new product right now and the market isn't as saturated as you think.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
No, they make their money from high prices, mugging owners to re-buy the same product twice when they make version 2 what version 1 should have been in the first place .... and finally, tax evasion!!!

Tax evasion? I thought you guys spoke english in the U.K.? Other than a loss in translation I don't understand how you could have read that Apple evades paying taxes... a criminal offense. To date I haven't even read of a DOJ or IRS charge to that effect much less an Administrative or court verdict.

Also mugging owners? How does Apple do that exactly? Do employees go down the line of willing buyers while they are waiting for the store to open and put a gun to their head while they empty their wallet or purse? Very curious about this.

----------

I never said Apple never needs to introduce a new product ever again. I simply questioned your adamance that it had to happen this year.

It's not just me. Investors and Apple aficionados alike are curious to see if Apple has a life after Jobs. The stock has plummeted because growth has slowed because of aging product lines. Even if everyone who owns an iPhone 4S upgrades to a 5S that doesn't improve Apple's growth. For that it needs an all new product. Next year could be too late. Consumers are fickle. You see how Samsung is doing well climbing on the table back Apple created. It doesn't get better here for Apple. They need all-new where there is no competition. It's just basic business. Fanboys will wait, but that's 5% of Apple's market.

Also re: iWatch. You may not think the iWatch wouldn't become one of Apple's pillars, but keep in mind nearly everyone here on MR at the time thought the iPod was a joke when announced, and the iPad was mocked as being a big iPhone. Doubters here are not exactly visionary like Jobs proved to be or good business people.

Last edited:

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
He's been very accurate. He was the first to say the non-retina MacBook pros would be sold alongside the retina model, he accurately predicted the release of the 13 inch retina, and so far everything released has matched his timeline.
I think the macrumors staff needs to create a welcome to macrumors tutorial explaining their history and what they do and why they do what they do.

Then they should run it once a month as a top line news story. While macrumors has grown ridiculously I believe its fundamental tenets are basically the same.

Most people think macrumors just repost press releases. For me macrumors is an excellent filter.

As you noted this source has been very reliable. If a source has a suspect track record they always caveat it.

Certainly anyone can call themselves an analyst. My signature says I am a MacRumors Analyst. I have no affiliation with macrumors other than as a member. My sig a dig at how many no nothing analysts exist. Mac rumors makes filtering through the analysis much easier. It is what the site excels at.... That and attracting irrational people who don't like companies named after fruit.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
It's not just me. Investors and Apple aficionados alike are curious to see if Apple has a life after Jobs. The stock has plummeted because growth has slowed because of aging product lines. Even if everyone who owns an iPhone 4S upgrades to a 5S that doesn't improve Apple's growth. For that it needs an all new product. Next year could be too late. Consumers are fickle. You see how Samsung is doing well climbing on the table back Apple created. It doesn't get better here for Apple. They need all-new where there is no competition. It's just basic business. Fanboys will wait, but that's 5% of Apple's market.

Those people are looking for innovation in the iPhone Market, not the iWatch market, which I believe I mentioned several times. The available profit from a watch is a fraction of the phone market. Can you imagine a person with a smart watch without a smartphone? I can't, well unless the watch was a phone...

The need you are seeing is really only based on your perception and the iWatch isn't the halo product you seem to think it is. I don't think you understand how much of an impact a revamped iOS 7 and a less bulky iPad can have.

PS: Apple's stock price is hardly ever indicative of its performance (or future), so don't rely on it too heavily.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
What are you thoughts on the battery and charging?

Tough.

I just changed the battery on my watch for the first time. I bought it in 2001. Less than a week is unacceptable. The thought of plugging a cable into my watch is somehow upsetting.

I thought about this a bit. Many suggestions, many existing smart watches, they all take an iPod and turn it into a watch. That's not what I want. I want a watch just like the one I have, but use 2013's technology to make it magical.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Tough.

I just changed the battery on my watch for the first time. I bought it in 2001. Less than a week is unacceptable. The thought of plugging a cable into my watch is somehow upsetting.

I thought about this a bit. Many suggestions, many existing smart watches, they all take an iPod and turn it into a watch. That's not what I want. I want a watch just like the one I have, but use 2013's technology to make it magical.

Would solar charging be up to the task like some of the Casio's, or would a smart watch require too much power for that to be effective?

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Rumours are rumours, but when they make y/z+W from one ****ing x it's not rumours.

Er yes it is.

Rumour definition: "an unofficial interesting story or piece of news that might be true or invented"

This guy gets his info from contacts within the different component suppliers that make up Apple's supply chain. He then puts that jigsaw together to extrapolate a set of conclusions.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Those people are looking for innovation in the iPhone Market, not the iWatch market, which I believe I mentioned several times. The available profit from a watch is a fraction of the phone market. Can you imagine a person with a smart watch without a smartphone? I can't, well unless the watch was a phone...

The need you are seeing is really only based on your perception and the iWatch isn't the halo product you seem to think it is. I don't think you understand how much of an impact a revamped iOS 7 and a less bulky iPad can have.

PS: Apple's stock price is hardly ever indicative of its performance (or future), so don't rely on it too heavily.

Nope. Investors welcome anything that will grow the company. The iPhone market is very saturated right now which is why Apple is looking to make a less expensive version for "emerging markets," regional cellcos and PayGO carriers.

Only a new product in a new category, be it an AppleTV that rethinks TV, an iWatch, that is a watch in name only, but really a wrist computer, or a gadget not yet in the rumor mill, will seriously bump up Apple's growth because everyone will "need" to buy one. iPhones are replaced by existing users. Apple needs new customers.

This need for a new product soon is not a "perception," it's reality if you look at Apple's charts. Apple needs some excitement and soon lest it become as boring as Microsoft or GE -- huge cash cows to be sure, but limited growth and zero pizazz like the 2002-2010 Apple experienced with its succession of new product launches. Halos don't linger on companies without merit and we already see Congress willing to go after them where they did not dare under Jobs' tutelage. That's indicative of a company falling off its perch.

If you read the Jobs bio, and if not I highly recommend, then you are familiar with Jobs' (correct) belief that consumers don't know what they want until they've been told they want it. So it's a bit premature to assume the iWatch would be a weak profit maker based on the current "fashion" watch market. Pebble, Nike, FitBit, and others have all proven that there is a demand for wearable computers. Those products have limited use. Apple's won't.

Last edited:

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
Tax evasion? I thought you guys spoke english in the U.K.? Other than a loss in translation I don't understand how you could have read that Apple evades paying taxes... a criminal offense. To date I haven't even read of a DOJ or IRS charge to that effect much less an Administrative or court verdict.

Also mugging owners? How does Apple do that exactly? Do employees go down the line of willing buyers while they are waiting for the store to open and put a gun to their head while they empty their wallet or purse? Very curious about this.

wow, do you Americans understand the word pedantic ... Or maybe you're just too **** to get my point and think you're being smart with your reply.

And by the way, we do speak English ... It's a language we gave to you (hints in the name!)

----------

that samsung lawsuit issues them 2 billion or so (which they haven't paid yet).

Didn't apple make like 50 billion last quarter with like 9 billion profits?

I think you have tunnel vision buddy.

And you don't understand irony!

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
wow, do you Americans understand the word pedantic ... Or maybe you're just too **** to get my point and think you're being smart with your reply.

And by the way, we do speak English ... It's a language we gave to you (hints in the name!)

----------

And you don't understand irony!

No I understand irony, but apparently you don't. Your post was hyperbolic, yes, but not ironic in any way except maybe if you were having a conversation with Alanis Morissette.

(But what is ironic is that you didn't get my quip about me wondering if they spoke english in England because you seemed misinformed about Apple's tax planning. You took it seriously and lectured instead. Now that's rich.)

C42D

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2010
1. Mac pros weren't delayed. You never had a release date.

2. Radio isn't delayed. You never had an announcement, let alone a release date.

3. Watch isn't delayed. You never had an announcement, let alone a release date.

4. Retina iPad mini was likely impossible at the time of release. Or at least so prohibitively expensive, that it was unfeasible.

5. They gave you the highest resolution laptop ever last year, did you buy one?

6. I did some research, and found that the "s" model phones actually have substantial improvements. Who knew?

7. They are obviously working on new versions of iWork, as they've been hiring people for the project.

You can say all that, and I still feel the spirit of the OP was right on target. ****ing iWork still has "09" after it... nuff said.

this from a guy who owns 6 iMacs, 2 laptops, and a mac pro, not counting iOS devices... I want new stuff!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.