Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
So I have a 3tb external hard drive originally named 'ABC'. Soon the name was changed to 'XYZ' and was using it as Time Machine Backup.

Recently, I got an Airport Extreme router (last gen) and was hoping to use it as the Time Machine drive too.

Now, when I go to Time Machine setup, it shows the drive name as 'ABC' (which was originally called) and a new external called 'XYZ'. If I select XYZ as backup disk, it would start a fresh.

Is there anyway to make sure it just uses the initial data from when I sued to backup with USB cable.

To summarise:
1- Initial time machine hard disk ABC renamed to XYZ
2- Setting up Time Machine over Air Disk.
3- Time machine finds XYZ but identifies as a new drive.

Anyway for air disk or time machine to use the existing drive?

moez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Ok so I did some digging.

After plugging in the disk on my computer, it gave a notice that Disk Name has changed or similar. After pressing okay, it began to make the complete backup again.

When I entered Time Machine, I saw current and previous data.

Putting the disk to Air Disk, it recognized the disk and made a differential backup (for some reason it was 1.5gb but okay).

Now, when I enter Time Machine via any method, I can only see todays data.

There are 2 things in Network:
1) The drive name and backups (Backups.backupdb stops at yesterday)
2) A new disk called Time Machine Backup which has todays data.

Is a workaround even possible or should I stick with just USB backups.

PajamaPants

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2013
The Time Machine Disk has the folder backup.backups in it?
This may be a stupid idea, but to delete backups that I don't need I normally go in the folder select the date and delete it. So....
What if you try moving all the old backups to said new backup folder?
If it is in another partition in the same drive it shouldn't take a lot of time....

Not sure about this, though.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.