Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
You cannot successfully format an 800 Kb floppy to 1.4, nor 1.4 to 800.

False on both counts, I used to do it all the time.

You can turn the 800 into a 1.4 by drilling a second hole. The biggest problem was often the reason they were formatted to 800kb is because at 1.4 they had sector errors. Going for 1.4 to 800kb (or 720k on a PC) was entirely software dependent. I believe DOS used to let you do it without doing anything special. To do the same on a Mac, you had to cover up the second hole with some tape.

I had to do this all the time when the number of disks I owned was limited and the different computers I had access to contained different capacity drives.

luisreg

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2012
Ideas?

I'm on OSX Lion with a working Floppy USB unit and brand new 3 1/2 disks, trying to install OS 7.0.1 on a Macintosh Classic with a new drive (no current installed OS).

I ran the following command on terminal: dd if=~/OS7/os-6-1.img of=/dev/disk1 bs=84 skip=1

It completes succesfully, but then I encounter the following problems:

1) If I try to re-mount on Disk Utility, it returns an error message saying it cannot be mounted.
2) If I eject it after the terminal command, it says I have to initialize it, because it's not formatted (??)
3) If I start my Macintosh Classic with it, it ejects it and doesn't recognize it as an installation disk.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Luis

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.