Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tommy0614

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
What do you think about the 32 memory upgrade from OWC compared to Crucial or Corsair. If I do this what would be a fair price to the members here for the two eight gigs that came with my iMac? Thannk you.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
What do you think about the 32 memory upgrade from OWC compared to Crucial or Corsair. If I do this what would be a fair price to the members here for the two eight gigs that came with my iMac? Thannk you.

OWC is a respected Mac vendor. I bought my MP RAM from them and when one stick was bad they handled themselves with class. I've had good experiences with Crucial as well. Many here like Corsair as well. I would say compare prices and buy from the cheapest.

As for liquidating your OEM RAM, is your machine new? Then the RAM is new. Price it as such on Craiglist and be prepared to wait a while. I've had memory sell in weeks and I've got RAM there now that has been posted for months with the only offers coming from cranks and lowballers.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005

Owc is credible but so is crucial. The ram between the 2 vendors is exactly the same per owc rep and owc is 25% more. Easy decision unless you have extra money that would like to give away.

tommy0614

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Thank you MacPro 2000. Could you give me, if you have it, the part number for the Crucial ram?

Nuke61

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2013
Columbia, SC
So whats the verdict guys? Crucial? Kingston? OWC? Transcend? I am currently returning my bad memory that ruined my day.
The verdict is that you need to decide if paying a bit more is worth it to you. Nobody can make that decision for you. What I can say is this is my experience:
Crucial is $116 USD for PC3-12800 CL=11 ram (16 GB) direct from Crucial.com
I paid $138 for PC3-12800 CL=9 ram (Hyper X) from Amazon.com, and bought 32 gigs.

Both had free shipping, but I'm an Amazon Prime member so the free shipping is two days. The free shipping from Crucial is 5-7 days, another $18 for 2 day shipping.

The speed difference is nearly nothing, but I figured the small price difference was insignificant in the big scheme of the computer price, so I bought the Hyper X ram.

I just ran Geekbench and got 13098 for 32-bit (didn't buy it) and on the Primate Labs site, they show a late 2012 27" iMac with Intel Core i7-3770 3400 MHz (4 cores) getting a 12877 score. That's less than a 2% difference -- nearly nothing.

This was all a very long way of saying that there's no clear cut "best" -- Crucial, OWC and Hyper X have all been used with excellent results.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
As soon as I read your title, I felt the obligation to tell you to buy either Corsair or Crucial over OWC. Funny I read you commenting about it on the post.

You see, OWC is great memory and is just as good as either Crucial or Corsair. Quality is exactly the same for the 3. The diference is the following: OWC is the company that started it all and a few years ago, they were the only good choice. Now Crucial and Corsair caught up, and more importantly, OWC has the "Fame" status on it, so they are charging way more for the exact same RAM.

My point is, get either Crucial or Corsair in order to save money. the only diference is the name

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR

I have 32 GB in my 2012 iMac... but I just keep the original 8GB around... In case I need to send my iMac in for service. If they decide to replace your machine... you are not guaranteed to get anything inside back.

/Jim

haddy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2012
NZ
So whats the verdict guys? Crucial? Kingston? OWC? Transcend? I am currently returning my bad memory that ruined my day.
Oh well I have 4 x 8.0GB 1600MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM PC12800 204 Pin from OWC.
This is working just fine. And the shipping time from Woodstock to Auckland was just 2.5 days!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.