Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gibbyice

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Scotland, U.K
I hopefully will be in a position to by final cut pro x in the next month or two. My question is wether I should hold off for a newer release or is that unlikely in the forseeable future?

Thanks in advance

Gibbyice

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Today Apple are having a POW-WOUH in San Francisco. No doubt new material will be reviled.
Too your question "How Long Is A Piece Of String"?. If anything comes out new in that software, you should get a discount. But if you are happy to wait fine.
When i bought FCP-X when it came out first i learned and with plenty of updates it has been a breeze.
I would say wait this week and see what happen.

RJz347

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2013
Fcp x

And hope Apple makes a really good business decision and return FCP to what it was. A powerhouse Video Editing Platform. I abandoned ship due to Apple abandoning us. FCP X IMHO was a waist of time. The professional editors that I know love FCP7, X however was so confusing and so UN professional that I had to go to Adobe Premier. The companies I work with used to use FCP. Apple had the best NLE on the market. Hands down. It had the potential to remove Avid as the top dog, if you will. So to answer your question. Wait and see what Apple does. I can only hope they realize their error and return FCP to the powerhouse it once was.

Its one mans opinion.. Take it for what it's worth.

Cheers

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
If you need it now then buy.
There hasn't been any paid updates since June 2011.

Lets hope there isn't one ever :)

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
it's hard to beat for the price - been doing professional (one man band) work with it since version 10.0.1.
it's a pita when it comes to multi-user workflow and i wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole if i had to work together with a lot of other people (sound guys, other editors, someone who uses something else than da vinci for color grading,...)

having said that, it has served me well for a lot of things - story-editing is so much more intuitive and faster, if you can just drag clips around and the others make way.

i'd wait for the next update - be it 10.0.9, be it 10.1.0 (with hopefully a lot of collaborative features) and buy then. have you already tried the free 30-day trial?

And hope Apple makes a really good business decision and return FCP to what it was.

i've read somewhere that they have already earned more money with fcpx than with fcp7 over the same time period. so it seems to be the better business-decision for apple to stay with X. i hope we'll get back some real "pro" features in the future (like edl), but having seen the sneak peak at the new mac pro, i doubt it that they really care anymore about the needs of the professional community...

Last edited:

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Buy now, you'll get the update when it comes out. It's pretty okay at this point much better than it was 2 years ago that's for sure... but still has a ways to go. The best part of FCP X is using powerful 3rd party plugins with it, that brings it to another level it's actually quite weak out of the box, although I must say the timeline interface is great to work with.

macuser453787

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2012
Galatians 3:13-14
And hope Apple makes a really good business decision and return FCP to what it was. A powerhouse Video Editing Platform. I abandoned ship due to Apple abandoning us. FCP X IMHO was a waist of time. The professional editors that I know love FCP7, X however was so confusing and so UN professional that I had to go to Adobe Premier. The companies I work with used to use FCP. Apple had the best NLE on the market. Hands down. It had the potential to remove Avid as the top dog, if you will. So to answer your question. Wait and see what Apple does. I can only hope they realize their error and return FCP to the powerhouse it once was.

Its one mans opinion.. Take it for what it's worth.

Cheers

I've read similar opinions about FCPX on this forum and I have some experience editing using FCE (which is close to FCP), and I'm just curious as to what it is about FCPX that makes it less desirable than FCP7? Have gone back and forth about what NLE to use (between FCPX and FCP7) when I get my MP (5,1) -- right now am leaning towards FCS (because I want FCP7 + the other programs). Though I will say that I like the fact that FCPX can use more than 4GB RAM...

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Lot of people will hum and Ha about this software. We each have a way of what one wants from a editing software. If you happy with FCP7 carry on. If you want try something new, go for FCP-X and see how it works and feels.
I was with FCP-7 and could not get on with it. FCP-X is a breeze in my eyes.
Even iMovie 11 is a good software without 1st class software.
So you decide. Let us know what roar you are taking.:)

Ezlivin

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010
Buy it now and start learning. Once you learn how to really use FCPX you'll be set for whatever updates Apple provides.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.