Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Jul 23, 2010, 03:14 PM   #26
agjake01
macrumors regular

Thanks for answering my question.. too bad on the limitations set forth by Apple. I look forward to your app and hope to give a go with your promo code.
agjake01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 04:20 PM   #27
fishkorp
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferrob View Post
Seems like Apple doesn't care about junk apps like fake "cell phone trackers" going through by the dozens, but legitimate apps like yours get nitpicked over. What could they possibly not like about the way you were using the camera? Don't you just turn it on, snap a pic and send it? I don't understand why there'd be an issue over that.
It was my implementation. I was trying to take stealth pictures with the front camera with no user interaction.
fishkorp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 08:19 PM   #28
JohnCarcinogen
macrumors newbie

I'm definitely stoked about this app. Especially the update. Hopefully you can get the snapshot functionality through their approval process. That's one of the cooler features in my opinion. I don't think I'm alone in looking for a cheaper alternative to MobileMe.
JohnCarcinogen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 09:23 PM   #29
Mitchelino
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkorp View Post
I got a rejection notice this afternoon. Apple didn't like the way I was using the camera. I made the changes they suggested and immediately re-submitted it. Hopefully I don't need to wait another 7+ days.
Would they allow stealth images to be taken if there was a disclaimer that said entering the wrong code would take a picture? I'm sure there is some sort of loophole to allow for an image to be taken without the user's permission.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:36 AM   #30
bobab8ey
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchelino View Post
Would they allow stealth images to be taken if there was a disclaimer that said entering the wrong code would take a picture? I'm sure there is some sort of loophole to allow for an image to be taken without the user's permission.
So you want to explicitly warn people that the app is going to take stealth pictures?

fwiw, I'm looking forward to this app too. I have no interest in MobileMe whatsoever beyond it's iPhone locating feature.
bobab8ey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:31 AM   #31
Mitchelino
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobab8ey View Post
So you want to explicitly warn people that the app is going to take stealth pictures?
The developer had posted the following:
Quote:
- a passcode unlock is now an option in the app (and if using an iPhone 4 the front camera will take a picture if the incorrect code is entered)
Then posted this:
Quote:
I got a rejection notice this afternoon. Apple didn't like the way I was using the camera. I made the changes they suggested and immediately re-submitted it. Hopefully I don't need to wait another 7+ days.
The point of the stealth images is to take a picture if the incorrect password is entered (then it can email you the picture of who entered the wrong password). This would be great if the phone was stolen, and you needed proof of who took it.

Sadly, this caused his app to get rejected because Apple doesn't like that it's taking pictures without the permission of the app owner. That is why I asked if the developer would be allowed to if a disclaimer was first shown when opening the app (for the first time), saying that entering an incorrect password would would take a photo and email it to them. (This could be a toggled setting, perhaps?)

Long story short, I suggested it to explicitly warn the owner of the phone of that it can take stealth images of someone who enters the wrong password (not necessarily the same person, especially if the phone is stolen).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobab8ey View Post
fwiw, I'm looking forward to this app too. I have no interest in MobileMe whatsoever beyond it's iPhone locating feature.
Agreed. I bought MobileMe for the web hosting. Once I discovered I could do better with RapidWeaver & real web hosting, I stopped using iWeb and MobileMe hosting. The only thing I use is Find My iPhone and Mail. I'll be cancelling my subscription before the next billing cycle; too expensive for the little uses I get out of it.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 09:41 PM   #32
fishkorp
macrumors 68020

Version 1.1 is now available and I posted 20 more codes in the code forum. The current picture implementation pops up the camera, snaps the picture, then goes away. Not 100% stealth, but gets the job done. It'll continue processing and uploading in the background if the person quits the app after the picture is taken. We'll see how far I can push it in a future update.

Please send any suggestions to support@trackmyphoneapp.com, as I don't get to check this thread as often as I'd like. Thanks.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 08:46 AM   #33
satirev
macrumors 6502

can anyone post their experience with this app?
satirev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 01:39 PM   #34
Mitchelino
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by satirev View Post
can anyone post their experience with this app?
I'm very impressed with this app. It's helping me cancel my MobileMe membership this month, as I finally have a cheap alternative to Apple's Fine My iPhone feature.

The battery life is amazing. This app doesn't eat through my battery at all, yet it still monitors my location. It's great as I can access where my phone is via a web browser, as well as send a message to my phone. It's obviously not as good as Apple's, but for the very affordable price, I'm willing to lose some of the functionality.

For the small price of $3.99, it's worth it. At least now I know that I'll always have a way to track my phone (without needing a subscription to a service).
Old Aug 4, 2010, 02:25 PM   #35
steeez
macrumors member

Does this app differ at all from FoneHome?
steeez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 02:31 PM   #36
Mitchelino
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeez View Post
Does this app differ at all from FoneHome?
It differs slightly, but they are essentially the same idea. Each has a few features the other doesn't, but they both seem to offer the same essential things.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 09:20 AM   #37
oli2140
macrumors 6502

Hi there,

Looks like a great app you've got there, any chance you could confirm whether or not you are looking into being able to send a message to a phone or play a sound (similar to MobileMe)?

Cheers,
Oli
oli2140 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 02:24 PM   #38
fishkorp
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli2140 View Post
Hi there,

Looks like a great app you've got there, any chance you could confirm whether or not you are looking into being able to send a message to a phone or play a sound (similar to MobileMe)?

Cheers,
Oli
You can currently send a message. Sounds coming in next update (not sure how I overlooked that initially).

Account bridging (aka "family tracking") is also currently in beta testing. As well as 1 or 2 more features.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 02:37 PM   #39
oli2140
macrumors 6502

Awesome thanks for the reply, will definitely not be renewing MobileMe in 12 days time and am excited about further updates, keep it up!
oli2140 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 05:09 PM   #40
Worf
macrumors regular

please have a sale..
How to decide whether to buy into Android or iOS - Here
Worf is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps