Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpa66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
First off, please excuse my ignorance of this. If it sounds simple, it may be to some, but I simply cannot figure out how to get my Office 2004 (for Mac) to open on my new Mini. The problem is that the current OS no longer supports PowerPC applications, and I have a lot of work saved as Word files.

My question(s) is/are:

What is the easiest (and least expensive) way to get Office running on my Mac? Do I need to purchase the current Office (and if so, should it be Office for Mac or simply the Windows version)? Do I need to get Windows? Or is there some other type of software that will work?

I actually have Parallels 8, since I knew that I would have to use Word and Excel (for work), but I'm unsure what I need to do about the actual PC-software part of the equation.

Also, my wife has a pc with Vista installed on it - would I be able to somehow migrate the software on her computer to mine?

Any help is greatly appreciated, as I really need to access the files I have stored in Word.

Thanks,
JP

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
First off, please excuse my ignorance of this. If it sounds simple, it may be to some, but I simply cannot figure out how to get my Office 2004 (for Mac) to open on my new Mini. The problem is that the current OS no longer supports PowerPC applications, and I have a lot of work saved as Word files.

My question(s) is/are:

What is the easiest (and least expensive) way to get Office running on my Mac? Do I need to purchase the current Office (and if so, should it be Office for Mac or simply the Windows version)? Do I need to get Windows? Or is there some other type of software that will work?

I actually have Parallels 8, since I knew that I would have to use Word and Excel (for work), but I'm unsure what I need to do about the actual PC-software part of the equation.

Also, my wife has a pc with Vista installed on it - would I be able to somehow migrate the software on her computer to mine?

Any help is greatly appreciated, as I really need to access the files I have stored in Word.

Thanks,
JP

Office for Mac 2004 will only work with Snow Leopard OS 10.6 and below. New Macs with Lion 10.7 or Mountain Lion 10.8 cannot run Rosetta which runs older Mac applications, such as Office 2004. You need to buy Office for Mac 2011.

Which is why so many of us are sticking with older machines and Snow Leopard... Most of our older Mac software no longer works.

I'm pretty sure once you buy the newer Word, you won't have any difficulties migrating stuff.

jpa66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Office for Mac 2004 will only work with Snow Leopard OS 10.6 and below. New Macs with Lion 10.7 or Mountain Lion 10.8 cannot run Rosetta which runs older Mac applications, such as Office 2004. You need to buy Office for Mac 2011.

Which is why so many of us are sticking with older machines and Snow Leopard... Most of our older Mac software no longer works.

I'm pretty sure once you buy the newer Word, you won't have any difficulties migrating stuff.

Yeah - I wish that I had gotten a new mac a couple of years ago, so I wouldn't have that problem.

Should I just get Word for Mac, or simply Word, since I have Parallels 8?

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Yeah - I wish that I had gotten a new mac a couple of years ago, so I wouldn't have that problem.

Should I just get Word for Mac, or simply Word, since I have Parallels 8?

I think you have to get the entire office for Mac. If you know anyone in school, I think you still can get educational discounts...

RickyB

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007

My question(s) is/are:

Thanks,
JP

Before you fork out for Office 2011, try OpenOffice.org - it's free.
It isn't completely compatible, but it's worth a try and if it doesn't work, you consider other options, such as Apple's Pages, or Office 2011.

BTW, If you do have to get Office, I would go for the Mac version, as it will save you having to use Paralells, and is, IMHO, better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.