Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old May 24, 2011, 10:34 PM   #26
cjgonzales1900
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionableMango View Post
No, an OCZ 3.5" adapter for a 2.5" drive will not work in a 5.25" optical bay by itself. You need to add a 3.5" to 5.25" adapter.
Also I was planning on buying a 3.5" SSD Vertex 2 here:
Vertex 2 3.5"
Does anyone know if this will mount into the Mac Pros Sata Bay?
cjgonzales1900 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 11:12 AM   #27
HXGuy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjgonzales1900 View Post
Vertex 2 3.5"
Looking just at the picture it should mount just fine. Good price for a 120GB SSD, I paid $220 for the Intel SSD.
How are reviews on the Vertex.
Old May 25, 2011, 11:29 AM   #28
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjgonzales1900 View Post
Vertex 2 3.5"
Yes, I have an OCZ Vertex 2 SSD 3.5" and it works perfectly with the Mac Pro hard drive sleds.

If you want to put it in the optical bay as you stated earlier, you'll still need a 3.5" to 5.25" adapter.
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 11:54 AM   #29
scottjua
macrumors newbie

Thanks! Did this last night, on my new mac pro and it worked great.

I tried drilling holes and screwing in the SSd to the CD, but the only bolts I have don't match the thread pitch on the SSD body, so I had to use tape.

I tried velcro, but it was too bulky. Tape it is, until, I get the right bolts/screws, and then I'll just mount it with screws.

I also couldn't get my head around $25 adapters...
scottjua is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 09:11 AM   #30
kudukudu
macrumors regular

HXGuy, I like your second attempt. Are you still planning on doing a write up for this?
Old Sep 27, 2011, 05:33 AM   #31
Draeconis
macrumors 6502

I've just made my own CD-based mount at work, will test it when I get home.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 06:03 AM   #32
spidey3
macrumors regular

These ideas look great - but I worry about cooling. Would definitely want to drill a bunch of holes in any of those sheets - so that airflow can better reach the SSD enclosure...
spidey3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 06:06 AM   #33
Feek
macrumors member

My SSD just hung in the case on the connector. No problem.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 07:09 AM   #34
skyton
macrumors 6502

Thanks for posting these ideas!
I am thinking about going down the SSD route and don't like the look of the adapters I have found.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 09:29 AM   #35
Yetihunter
macrumors member

Zombi Thread Resurrect

Utilizing a SATA connector that is surface mount soldered to a vertical PCB as your only form of support = either you're saudi royalty rich or just plain too careless to deserve a $3k + computer.

Masking tape and compact discs is a ridiculous over expenditure of workmanship. Aside, any sort of tape...not so good an idea.

Those OWC shelves look perfect, but they're $20 a pop; and you already have a sled.

Traditional sleds won't work, because you'll need a sata cable, and there's just not enough clearance without trashing connectors/joints/cable.

But this is all mute.

Looking at an SSD, let's consider the connector side, positioned so that it's at the left (for mac pro connection) the top. The backmost, leftmost mounting hole lines up with the backmost, leftmost mounting screw on the Mac Pro sled. You'll have to remove (and save or toss) the leftmost screws on the Mac Pro sled and obtain the correct size screws for your ssd. Nonetheless, you've got one corner covered, free.

The leftmost right most screw hole on the sled will have to remain a "wash". It won't be used.

For the right side, you're looking for something like this:

http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinges...22+Lid+Support

You can remove the extraneous hinge stuffs.

or this

http://www.strapworks.com/Metal_Slides_p/ms-f.htm

The backmost/rightmost mount for the ssd is flush to the sled's mount; so you can use anything that is between 2 and 3 inches in length (5.1 to 7 cm).
For the right most/top most, we have an angle to contend with. The distance is 2 inches (5.1 cm) center to center.

If you own a drill press, or proper drill bits and a steady hand; you can buy flat brackets at the hardware store. They may have oil or lubricant on them, however and are often made of unpainted/treated zinc. Not sure how that will chemically interact inside of the computer.

Buttt, if you own a drill press; you are probably aware that you can always order metal plate from companies like "speedymetal" or "onlinemetals", although, at such a small size, I'd just buy a stainless steel wall plate and adjust from there.

I recently grabbed some pre-drilled brackets from the hinge section of a hardware store. They matched up, so I'll chime in if it works. I'd have preferred a flat hinge ala my example, but know one around carries them for some reason.
Yetihunter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2012, 01:28 PM   #36
phpmaven
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetihunter View Post
Utilizing a SATA connector that is surface mount soldered to a vertical PCB as your only form of support = either you're saudi royalty rich or just plain too careless to deserve a $3k + computer.

Masking tape and compact discs is a ridiculous over expenditure of workmanship. Aside, any sort of tape...not so good an idea.

Those OWC shelves look perfect, but they're $20 a pop; and you already have a sled.

Traditional sleds won't work, because you'll need a sata cable, and there's just not enough clearance without trashing connectors/joints/cable.

But this is all mute.

Looking at an SSD, let's consider the connector side, positioned so that it's at the left (for mac pro connection) the top. The backmost, leftmost mounting hole lines up with the backmost, leftmost mounting screw on the Mac Pro sled. You'll have to remove (and save or toss) the leftmost screws on the Mac Pro sled and obtain the correct size screws for your ssd. Nonetheless, you've got one corner covered, free.

The leftmost right most screw hole on the sled will have to remain a "wash". It won't be used.

For the right side, you're looking for something like this:

http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinges...22+Lid+Support

You can remove the extraneous hinge stuffs.

or this

http://www.strapworks.com/Metal_Slides_p/ms-f.htm

The backmost/rightmost mount for the ssd is flush to the sled's mount; so you can use anything that is between 2 and 3 inches in length (5.1 to 7 cm).
For the right most/top most, we have an angle to contend with. The distance is 2 inches (5.1 cm) center to center.

If you own a drill press, or proper drill bits and a steady hand; you can buy flat brackets at the hardware store. They may have oil or lubricant on them, however and are often made of unpainted/treated zinc. Not sure how that will chemically interact inside of the computer.

Buttt, if you own a drill press; you are probably aware that you can always order metal plate from companies like "speedymetal" or "onlinemetals", although, at such a small size, I'd just buy a stainless steel wall plate and adjust from there.

I recently grabbed some pre-drilled brackets from the hinge section of a hardware store. They matched up, so I'll chime in if it works. I'd have preferred a flat hinge ala my example, but know one around carries them for some reason.
I'm not sure why you're resurrecting a year old thread but, why would anybody go through all this trouble to try and Micky Mouse something when you can get an Icy Dock adapter, which is great (I have 3), for $15?
phpmaven is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2012, 04:39 PM   #37
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

Here's my ghetto mount till my OWC Mount Pros come in
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5423.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	355834  
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:08 AM   #38
Yetihunter
macrumors member

I believe it's called: bad reaction to meds. :0

Ps - I totally just bought osx sleds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phpmaven View Post
I'm not sure why you're resurrecting a year old thread but, why would anybody go through all this trouble to try and Micky Mouse something when you can get an Icy Dock adapter, which is great (I have 3), for $15?
Yetihunter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 09:28 AM   #39
annalivia
macrumors newbie

SSD adapter for even less $

This describes a DIY adapter for a 2'5 SSD mounting in a standard MacPro-bay.
Time: 20 minutes.
Cost: less to nothing
Level: if you can hold a drill you’ll succeed!

Details: leaves no permanent marks on your Mac or any accessories.
What you’ll need:

materials:
-aluminium sheet, 90 x 105 mm, thickness around 0.5 mm
This sheet material should be sturdy, but somehow flexible as well.
(I took mine from an old fridge-door…)
-2 bolts for the SSD (M3-size for the Samsung I was about to install)
-2 nuts and bolts M5 (for the MacPro-bay)

Tools:
-knife-cutter
-drill
-screwdriver

This how to:
Refer to the drawing below. This has a 5mm grid.

1. Cut the alu-sheet to size with the knife-cutter.

2. drill 2 holes 3.5m

3. drill 2 holes 5mm
Use a file to smooth any irregularities. Now keep your work area free from any aluminium particles messing up delicate electronics!

4. mount the SSD with the two M3 bolts.
(after you've seen the final result, you will understand you won't need the other 2 bolts)
Now you have your SSD-base ready.

Next:
5. Remove the bolts (and its rubbers) from the MacPro-bay
(the rubbers prevent vibration from a HDD-drive; SSD won't need this)

6. Fix the SSD-base to the MacPro-bay with two M5-nuts and bolts.
Align and fix, according to any other available HDD-bay from your Mac.

7. Now retract your SSD-bay carefully in your Mac. Don’t force!
When it doesn’t fit easily, try to re-align your SSD-base and try again.
Mine worked flawless at first attempt!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SSDplan.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	491.8 KB
ID:	427714   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSDbay_top.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	427715   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSDbay_side.jpg