Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elfy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Is there a way on Apple TV to search movies and TV shows in your library? Like, if I wanted to watch a Ewan McGregor movie, I could just search his name and all movies tagged with his name would show up? Or even just to search for a movie title? Just realised once I convert and add about 600 movies, they may be a bit of a pain to find.

Last edited:

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
No way with the silver remote, but if you use the Remote app on iPhone/iPad you get full search capability.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
The key being that all movies are tagged with that information.
My movies are. I've created smart playlists for some actors and I can use these fine, even from aTV interface. But the search on Remote does match my search string only in the title.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I don't get the search by Actor names work for me. The iOS Remote search just returns matches from track titles.

Yep, you're right. I don't use search by actor often, knew I'd done it though and thought it was in Remote. What I did was use the Videos app - connect to my shared library. I can search by actor from there, and even go ahead and play the video through AirPlay (though that ties up the device). Or, I can just identify the movie I want and then switch to the Remote app to play it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.