Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Not so fast; They haven't received any money yet, and probably won't for quite a while yet, if ever, because it's under appeal. Secondly, that whole judgement against SAMSUNG may be set aside, as there are now questions about the jury foreman's disclosures or rather lack thereof, during the jury selection process. https://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/0...ons-on-jury-foreman-in-samsung-v-apple-trial/

Ah man. I just read that today. Love Apple and all but dislike all these patent battles. I understand I guess. Gotta protect what's yours but imagine how much time and money could be saved :eek:

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
Patent trolling is generally understood to be a company that owns patents and does nothing with them except collect fees or file lawsuits. Apple is actually making iPhones, so they are not "trolling" when they defend related patents. They may still be annoying with the number of lawsuits, so call it something else.

IDK if VirnetX is trolling or defending IP they actually use.

You mean like all those Apple products in products they never seem to use, like NFC? Luckily they're not suing on those. Yet.

UpOver

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2012
Top of the world..
No - because algorithms are not novel, 40 people could simultaneously solve the same problem the same way and giving 1 of them permission to sue the other 39 is just plain stupid.

It also means that it is impossible for anyone to actually write software without being a multi-millionaire.

I mean - how on earth can I possibly determine if my app is legal or not, if people might have patented some obvious way of doing something ?

This. Software patents should be such that everyone can innovate and benefit rather than just a rich few. Hopefully legislation will catch up with the modern context sooner rather than later.

derek4484

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
This is getting ridiculous

All this suing of each other doesnt hurt the companies, it only hurts the consumers who have to pay for it all with much higher end prices on goods.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
Please explain how NOT suing people makes you a patent troll. There should be a bigger :rolleyes:

Honestly, with Apple's behavior, they'll sue. Just wait for it. They sue over everything-including companies existing for years like ifone.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Yeah, that was said by some characters that wanted to overthrow a government. They knew that Lawyers understood the legal system, and by offing them first, no one would know if what was being done by the characters was legal.

So you're saying get rid of the whole legal system so we have nothing to use? I guess we could just duel.

The opposite of "lawyers" isn't "efficiency". The opposite of "lawyers" is "tyrants". Before we had a legal system (and lawyers), we had kings who did whatever they wanted. Now those who want to get rid of the lawyers are either would-be kings; or those whose judgement has been dulled by the propaganda campaigns of would-be kings.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Apple has created a sue-happy industry. Not sure if it is a good thing or not, but it is damn tedious.

BeardedOrc

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
Patent trolling is generally understood to be a company that owns patents and does nothing with them except collect fees or file lawsuits. Apple is actually making iPhones, so they are not "trolling" when they defend related patents. They may still be annoying with the number of lawsuits, so call it something else.

IDK if VirnetX is trolling or defending IP they actually use.

I have a kids bike in my shed that I haven't used for 8 years. So basically, anybody can just take it as I have not been using it. What logic?

LorenK

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
Illinois
I haven't seen any lawyers posting on this, but, clearly, a number of posters don't understand the differences between patent, trademark and copyright. The fact of IP litigation between Apple and various other software and hardware companies is the result of the complexity of the IP rights being claimed and a policy decision by the PTO to issue patents without the more severe review that occurred prior to the technology explosion caused by computers. If you don't know, people who work for the PTO are overworked and unpaid (like the rest of us) and have to follow the decisions of their bosses who expect results without paying for them. Hence, people get to say bad things about lawyers when there is more than enough blame to go around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.