Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
And you don't think they take into account that a percentage of users will block the ads when they consider how much to pay per view or click?

That doesn't apply to the internet advertising model. There are no predictions on the internet. So there is no 'taking into account' for anything. If someone blocks an ad, that ad doesn't get viewed. So the webmaster DIRECTLY doesn't get paid for that view. It's a DIRECT hit.

I don't give a crap. I still made a decent amount of money for the effort I put into the website.

Sure, but when is enough enough? What if the number of people using AdBlock skyrockets because something happens, such as Microsoft having an AdBlock plugin built into Internet Explorer by default (to try and hurt Google)? It's all very well to say 'I don't give a crap' when there's a small number of people doing something. But what if everyone did it?

----------

I agree with everything but the underlined. Every massive company has massive failures. Look at the Microsoft Kins, MobileMe, Google's apple TV Q thing.

Most of the best innovation happens from small companies that then get bought up by larger ones.

True. What I was meaning to say is that corporations do sell a lot of professional, quality products. They do take good ideas from smaller companies, but the end product they make of it is usually polished and professional.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
That doesn't apply to the internet advertising model. There are no predictions on the internet. So there is no 'taking into account' for anything. If someone blocks an ad, that ad doesn't get viewed. So the webmaster DIRECTLY doesn't get paid for that view. It's a DIRECT hit.

You're missing my point completely. I understand how internet advertising works, but when you're an advertiser you make a LOT of predictions. You predict what the best keywords will be, what the best wording for your ad is, and if it's a video ad there's a lot more work going into predicting exactly what sort of reaction you want from your target viewer.

Part of this process is also deciding how much you are willing to pay the websites to show your ads. Now, this is crucial, especially for a big campaign. Advertisers don't just pull these numbers out of thin air. And when they're deciding how much to pay per view and per click, they consider the fact that they won't necessarily get the ad shown on the website for every viewer and compensate for that.

Similarly, when you, as a webmaster, are allowing ads to be displayed on your site, you will have a level of control over how much the ad should be paying you (usually there's some sort of bidding system where the ad with the highest payment per view or click will be displayed, and with some systems you can view a list of potential ads with the prices they pay and specifically pick the ones you want).

So it works the same as TV advertising in that the possibility the whole audience won't see the ad is taken into account when the prices are set.

Sure, but when is enough enough? What if the number of people using AdBlock skyrockets because something happens, such as Microsoft having an AdBlock plugin built into Internet Explorer by default (to try and hurt Google)? It's all very well to say 'I don't give a crap' when there's a small number of people doing something. But what if everyone did it?

LOL that'll never happen. Might as well ask what would happen to the transport industry if pigs started flying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.