Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iConor50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
My macbook air has these tiny dirt pieces inside and I'm not sure how to get them out.:confused: I just want to get something done before it affects the keyboard.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
My macbook air has these tiny dirt pieces inside and I'm not sure how to get them out.:confused: I just want to get something done before it affects the keyboard. Image
You can use compressed air to blow them out.

How to clean Apple products

Apple also gives instructions on how to clean your Mac in the User Guides for the MBA, MBP and iMac:
Cleaning your Mac When cleaning the outside of your Mac and its components, first shut down your Mac, and then unplug the power adapter. Then use a damp, soft, lint-free cloth to clean the Mac exterior. Avoid getting moisture in any openings. Do not spray liquid directly on the computer. Do not use aerosol sprays, solvents, or abrasives that might damage the finish.

Cleaning the Mac screen To clean your Mac screen, first shut down your Mac and unplug the power adapter. Then use a soft, lint-free cloth dampened with just water and wipe the screen. Do not spray liquid directly on the screen.
Also, you'll find plenty of suggestions by searching through the many existing threads on this topic, such as these:

Also, here's how to take a screen shot and post it.

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
im not sure about compressed air, any other way?

why not? it's safe to use considering that's one of its main purpose. and i mentioned maybe using a vacuum first to loosen up the gunk first before blowing the remainders away with the compressed air.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
im not sure about compressed air, any other way?

Your other option would be... make a really small suction straw for your household vacuum, plastic toothpicks to dislodge whatever, a pair of magnifying goggles, earplugs for the vacuum, and steady hands.

iConor50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
why not? it's safe to use considering that's one of its main purpose. and i mentioned maybe using a vacuum first to loosen up the gunk first before blowing the remainders away with the compressed air.

Would a hairdyer work? if it was on cool air

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
My suggestion is to get a keyboard cover. They can be had on ebay for ~$3 and work very well.

This is AFTER you clean the keyboard.

iConor50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
dirt in keyboard

Ive posted this before and was told to use compressed air to get the dirt you. However, I was wondering would it be vital to clean the dirt from underneth the keyboard??

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
U mean like from the motherboard?

Vital? NO.

Desirable? I will give you the normal person answer - Go ahead and clean it if you are opening up the laptop for some other reason, or you have had the laptop for a couple of years and the fan seems to be making more noise than before, or you always take your laptop to this job site (open air), GO AHEAD. To specifically open a fairly new laptop to vacuum it, I personally would not bother.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
Well, under normal circumstances there's a black plastic sheet under the keyboard (between keyboard and innards), so there should not be too big a risk of the dirt (as long as it's solid) getting into the actual inner workings. So no, it's not vital.

OTOH, if you have a grain of dirt under a key, which impedes it registering a normal key depression, you can always dislodge the offending key, dig out the dirt, and replace the key. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZfD1yTBCX4

RGDS,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.