Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bexetc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2013
Hello,

I am trying to import video from MiniDV tapes using FireWire, Panasonic NV-EX21 and my mac running OS X version 10.6.8. I have been trying with iMovie. I don't think it can even see the camcorder (it should showup under devices?).

Any ideas of how to get this working are much appreciated. :confused:

Nov 28, 2010
located
I guess you use a Mac with a Firewire 800 port and use a Firewire 4-pin to 9-pin cable?

2012_01_02_pA1_Firewire_Ports.png

If so, do you have an external Firewire 800 HDD you can connect between camcorder and Mac? I just ask, as there are many reports of a 4-pin to 9-pin connection not working with modern Firewire 800 only Macs.

WayneH1

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2010
I don't know about Panasonic but I've had Sony cameras that required setting something on the camera to allow it to use the connection to a computer. It wouldn't "just work".

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
I don't know about Panasonic but I've had Sony cameras that required setting something on the camera to allow it to use the connection to a computer. It wouldn't "just work".
Yes, the camcorder should be switched to Playback.

Which iMovie are you using? Look for a camcorder icon somewhere in the main window. If you click on it, it should show connected cameras.

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
Sounds like the version of iMovie you're using no longer supports that camcorder. This is common with older devices. You'll likely need another solution, like an ADVC 110 or similar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.