Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Aug 14, 2013, 06:20 AM   #26
VulchR
macrumors 68000

I'd like to see police, firefighters, and paramedics get the same kind of benefits that veterans do. Anybody who takes on the risks associated with these jobs should be treated very well by society, including looking after their families if they die in the line of duty. I'd be willing to pay more income tax to pay for this.

Besides, we all know where this will end. If the families aren't treated well, they'll sue the city into the stone age for negligence in protecting their employees from known risks. No jury would let the city off of its moral obligations.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 06:33 AM   #27
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulchR View Post
I'd like to see police, firefighters, and paramedics get the same kind of benefits that veterans do. Anybody who takes on the risks associated with these jobs should be treated very well by society, including looking after their families if they die in the line of duty. I'd be willing to pay more income tax to pay for this.

Besides, we all know where this will end. If the families aren't treated well, they'll sue the city into the stone age for negligence in protecting their employees from known risks. No jury would let the city off of its moral obligations.
They received a pretty good payout, surely more than the typical part time person would see (typically 0 as they would not be eligible for benefits) and likely more than most full time people in the private sector.
Zombie Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2013, 12:05 PM   #28
IGregory
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
They should allow certain occupations to go over hours if it's training and if duty comes first without penalizing. Everyone knows the some occupations are unique vs the standard 8 hr shift.
Sounds like a sensible adjustment. All the Republicans want to do kill the act rather than making it work.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues