Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sauder

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
It's something about the design. The iPhone 5 chiseled edge comes out to a mirror finish, but it is extremely sensitive to nicking. It's like a fine cake. A soft design.

So, I've come to embrace scuffgate for what it's worth. I have a white iPhone 5 who can be bothered to buy a case for it?

How are you feeling about your scuffs?

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
My black iPhone was flawless out of the box. I already had a case for it before I bought it and put it on immediately. I took it out a couple of days ago out of curiosity, and yep, still perfect. I want to keep it that way for resale value down the road.

But you need a good looking case that doesn't bulk it up too much. I've gotten lots of compliments on my Spigen slim armor case (gunmetal), because its so thin it looks naked.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Apple should had used a tougher metal, but oh well. Jobs would not had approved.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
My black iPhone 5 is pristine today as it was the first day I got it when it came out, I've never used a case.

Then again I don't throw it around and it lives in it own pocket.

sauder

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
I'm just tired of taking care of it as if it were a baby. This just goes to show that the build quality is not strong at all. And feels cheap.

Say you got a piece of jewelry that bends when you put it on. Putting down your 5 on a table too hard is going to damage it.

So why not embrace it? It's how the iPhone 5 is. At least Apple could've designed the scuffs to look like glitter.

Knockworstface

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2013
Very likely that if Steve Jobs were alive he would not have approved of the iPhone 5 design and would not have green lighted such an iPhone of a cheap design.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Very likely that if Steve Jobs were alive he would not have approved of the iPhone 5 design and would not have green lighted such an iPhone of a cheap design.

He did approve it. He was part of the entire design process for the 5.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
How do you know?

It's been on a number of posts here on MR as well as other sites. Google it. The design for the 5 was done over 1 1/2 years ago. The design for the 6 are probably done, along with prototypes. Again, this is also well documented.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
How do you know?

It's not too hard to guess, is it? Do you think the world's then most valuable company didn't have its designs ready for products that would come during the next one or two years? Especially design fanatics like the guys at Apple...

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
i never ever owned a case with any of my iPhones and the 5 was no exception.

launch day black iphone 5 and i'm rough with it and finally i'm starting to get my first few scuffs...took a very long time

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
Honestly some people are rougher on things than others. I've heard some people on here saying it scuffs up real easy and I've heard others who say they have no case on it and it took awhile to scuff up. I really don't see the issue with a case. I wouldn't use any phone without a case but that's my jam. It's really not difficult even a simple bumper and front and back screen protectors will keep it looking new. Really any phone used without a case will scuff up eventually.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Im not over protective of my ip5.

It sits in a hip holster and has a simple bumper case around it purely to add grip.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
I'm just tired of taking care of it as if it were a baby. This just goes to show that the build quality is not strong at all. And feels cheap.

Say you got a piece of jewelry that bends when you put it on. Putting down your 5 on a table too hard is going to damage it.

So why not embrace it? It's how the iPhone 5 is. At least Apple could've designed the scuffs to look like glitter.

Feels cheap? Not strong at all? Come on MAN??? This iPhone (5) is a work of art...it's durable, tough--looks incredible and other than some of the newer HTC and Sony designs, nothing comes close on the market. Take care of it! Treat it like you would any piece of electronic gear....I've got two--a white and a black from launch day. Both Naked. Neither are scratched, dinged or dented (and my wife can be a bit hard on electronics:)). Seriously...it makes me wonder how those of you with issues are treating your phone. The iPhone 5 is an incredible phone aesthetically.

'Cheap Design'. That's just outrageous. Unbelievable. If you're looking for cheap design, look no further than the ubiquitous plastic form factor so many of the 'other' manufacturers are using (I own a Galaxy Note...in comparison to the iPhone 5, the design is absolutely the difference between night and day

It's amazing some of the comments that come up here. It's almost like some of these kids' moms said 'NO...you've already got a phone'. Envy? Jealousy? Not sure...but the iPhone 5 is far from 'cheap' or 'not durable'. I'm definitely not a fan of YouTube videos showing differences in phones BUT---if you're curious, look at the 'drop tests' done between GSIII, iPhone 5, Nokia 920 and others. The iPhone 5 bests them all. No electronic kit is going to survive complete destruction...but with normal, everyday usage--one should be able to keep it in good condition.

Unreal

sauder

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
I'm definitely not a fan of YouTube videos showing differences in phones BUT---if you're curious, look at the 'drop tests' done between GSIII, iPhone 5, Nokia 920 and others. The iPhone 5 bests them all.

:eek:

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Feels cheap? Not strong at all? Come on MAN??? This iPhone (5) is a work of art...it's durable, tough--looks incredible and other than some of the newer HTC and Sony designs, nothing comes close on the market. Take care of it! Treat it like you would any piece of electronic gear....I've got two--a white and a black from launch day. Both Naked. Neither are scratched, dinged or dented (and my wife can be a bit hard on electronics:)). Seriously...it makes me wonder how those of you with issues are treating your phone. The iPhone 5 is an incredible phone aesthetically.

'Cheap Design'. That's just outrageous. Unbelievable. If you're looking for cheap design, look no further than the ubiquitous plastic form factor so many of the 'other' manufacturers are using (I own a Galaxy Note...in comparison to the iPhone 5, the design is absolutely the difference between night and day

It's amazing some of the comments that come up here. It's almost like some of these kids' moms said 'NO...you've already got a phone'. Envy? Jealousy? Not sure...but the iPhone 5 is far from 'cheap' or 'not durable'. I'm definitely not a fan of YouTube videos showing differences in phones BUT---if you're curious, look at the 'drop tests' done between GSIII, iPhone 5, Nokia 920 and others. The iPhone 5 bests them all. No electronic kit is going to survive complete destruction...but with normal, everyday usage--one should be able to keep it in good condition.

Unreal

Have to agree. My old Galaxy Nexus felt like a Fisher Price toy. Same with the SGSIII.

The i5 is beautiful.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
It's something about the design. The iPhone 5 chiseled edge comes out to a mirror finish, but it is extremely sensitive to nicking. It's like a fine cake. A soft design.

So, I've come to embrace scuffgate for what it's worth. I have a white iPhone 5 who can be bothered to buy a case for it?

How are you feeling about your scuffs?

I care about the look of my new iPhone for about a week after I get it, then it becomes just another appliance and function is all that matters. The first week you get a new pair of sneakers you do everything you can to keep them clean. Inevitably, you scuff them or step in a puddle and that's that, just another pair of footwear after that.

I use a bumper for my iPhone 5 as it prevents scratching my wood table or damaging the aluminum trim in my car, easier to hold yet very sleek. I worry more about what the phone may scratch rather than what may scratch the phone. The bumper is trapping dust that is scratching the chamfers but I don't care because its in a bumper and I don't see it.

People who baby and overprotect their phones are just doing that for the next person, for the guy they sell it to. Sort of funny to hurt your own enjoyment so that a stranger can benefit from it.

BJ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.