Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old May 26, 2013, 05:57 PM   #101
Chuck-Norris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toltepeceno View Post
I have the 1.8 I have had for years and it's one of the best purchases (for the price) I have made. There is no comparison between it and a "kit" lens at 50mm, it's very sharp. I did not notice enough difference in the 1.4 and 1.8 to warrant the price difference.

I never picked one up when it came out, but some say the 35mm 1.8 is more flexoble with the wider lens. If it were out when i got mine i may have opted for it.

Either way, these cheap prime lenses are VERY much worth the price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCH-1138 View Post
Well, you asked what I (or others) would do in that context. I would tell my friend to use the viewfinder. But that's me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attonine View Post
the 17-55 2.8, both Nikon and Canon versions are highly regarded lenses, for DX bodies. I only have experience of Canon's version of this lens and it was fine. Equivalent to 24-70 in FX terms, and so covers the most widely used focal lengths for general photography. I believe the 17-55 2.8 is one of the "must have" DX lenses for most people.

As for price, I have no idea what they go for used, again check ebay (there are always lots available) and dealers who have used stock.
well im lens hunting again and found a deal on kijji for a nikon 18-200 VRII lens for 450. would that be a good second lens next to my 35mm prime lens and is 450 a good deal? or would you guys recomend looking at other difference lens?

I appreciate all your help in the past posts, I've leanred a great deal from you guys!
Chuck-Norris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 09:23 AM   #102
Attonine
macrumors 6502

It's only a deal if you are going to use it. Do you need this focal length? Will you use it? Are you just looking around for stuff because you have some extra cash laying around or is there a need in what you wish to achieve with your photography?

I can't really recommend anything as I don't really look around at equipment much anymore. I discovered once you have the right equipment for you, you simply stop looking, or at least I did anyway. i also don't want to spend more money on equipment, I have too many strains on my resources as it is!
Attonine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 09:12 AM   #103
Toltepeceno
macrumors 65816

I'd say it's a good price for a very good "walkabout" lens, far better than any kit lens.
Old May 28, 2013, 10:08 AM   #104
MCH-1138
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck-Norris View Post
well im lens hunting again and found a deal on kijji for a nikon 18-200 VRII lens for 450. would that be a good second lens next to my 35mm prime lens and is 450 a good deal? or would you guys recomend looking at other difference lens?
Like Attonine said, it's only a deal if you are going to use it. I think you have to distinguish between "I need a new lens because my current equipment doesn't allow me to make the photos I want" and "I want to buy a new piece of gear and I'm not sure what." If you look at the former category, I think your search might be more focused.

As for the 18-200 specifically, I think we discussed that particular lens at some point earlier in this thread. I think it is generally well-regarded as something of a jack-of-all-trades lens. Its strong points are convenience and versatility, but it has its tradeoffs. Are there other "better" lenses (faster, better IQ, etc.)? Sure. You could carry a bag of primes, or a 17-55/2.8 and 70-200/2.8. But that means carrying multiple lenses, switching lenses, etc. You'd probably be hard pressed to find a single lens that gives you the same coverage and flexibility (other than, say, the 18-300, or 28-300, or comparable third-party lenses). So if you find yourself wanting/needing the flexibility of a zoom and you want/need that range of focal lengths, maybe it's a good lens for you.

As far a price and "a good deal" goes, everything we have said before applies -- shop around, it depends on the condition, what's the return policy, etc.

Last edited by MCH-1138; May 28, 2013 at 10:18 AM.
MCH-1138 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 05:27 PM   #105
swordio777
macrumors 6502

Chuck-Norris, You mentioned right back at the start of this thread that you're looking for a lens which will give you a really nice shallow depth of field and smooth bokeh. While the 18-200 is an awesome walkabout lens and covers a lot of ground, it is certainly not the best lens for this kind of thing.

Personally I have a really cheap Sigma 18-200 which I love. It only cost me 99 (about $150) and, mounted on my old D70, is the only lens I take on vacation. It's perfect for this kind of thing as it means I can just enjoy shooting when I'm out and about.

The lens has a number of compromises (quality, distortion, speed), but it does a little bit of everything reasonably well and it's greatest asset is that I can carry less kit when travelling. Every lens will have it's own advantages and disadvantages; things that it can do well and things that it can't do at all. If you think carefully about the kind of images you want to take and what you want to use the lens for, you'll be in a better position to know how to spend your hard earned cash.

Doesn't answer your question, but I hope it helps.
swordio777 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography