Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2Turbo

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2011
I'm looking forward to the Nvidia maxwell update due next year. Should be a great performance boost over even the 680mx. If they can simply get a good GPU in the 21.5" I'll be happy.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I want a bto iMac so I will be paying over 2500 dollars. However I am at a month wait. I don't want to spend a premium price for a computer that will be outdated or the next big thing is a few weeks away/months away. I it was an ipad or phone id buy now but 2500 is a huge investment. How long will it be for the next apple refresh. Will the next version be a huge upgrade over this one. Any help or opinions.

If you need a computer now buy one now.

If you can do without a computer don't buy a computer.

What I'm saying is, wait until you need one then buy it that same day. It does not matter what Apple sells the next day yours will still work as well as when you bought it. I know you are saying, but if I wait, I'll get a better computer for the same price. Aw, but if you can wait you don't need a computer.

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
With Apple degrading its product with every iteration, waiting is no longer a good idea.

iMacs now have glued-in screens, laptop drives, and inaccessible RAM. Cheap crap, and totally unsuitable for Apple's desktop computers.

When you look at the quality regressions across the entire line, and technical fiascoes like the (also degraded) Lightning connector, there's a lot to be worried about in regard to Apple's technical acumen.

Desktop marked is dying, and even the Laptop lines are being cannibalized by Ipad. Besides, Apple makes a **** ton of profit because of those cheap upgrades. So the joke is on all of us, and all the PC vendors who can't make solid well designed computers.

Hildegerd

macrumors regular
May 12, 2013
Norway
Desktop marked is dying, and even the Laptop lines are being cannibalized by Ipad. Besides, Apple makes a **** ton of profit because of those cheap upgrades. So the joke is on all of us, and all the PC vendors who can't make solid well designed computers.

Too bad, because I am a sucker for bigger screens.

ravinder08

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
I want a bto iMac so I will be paying over 2500 dollars. However I am at a month wait. I don't want to spend a premium price for a computer that will be outdated or the next big thing is a few weeks away/months away. I it was an ipad or phone id buy now but 2500 is a huge investment. How long will it be for the next apple refresh. Will the next version be a huge upgrade over this one. Any help or opinions.

You should wait until 2016 I hear that model's gonna be amazing!

jmhart

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012

The next model will not be a huge upgrade, but it will have some hardware refreshes. Since Apple hardware is so rarely discounted during a release cycle, it's always smarter to buy within a couple months of release or just wait it out for the next release if you can--and you're right, the higher the price tag the smarter it is to wait.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
The GTX780 reviews are out now, about 35% improvement in framerate in 1440p, in some games almost 50%. I wonder if there will be a 780MX card for the coming iMac model. That would definately be worth the wait, but the iMac might as well be "stuck" with the 680MX for another 6-8 months too... As usual, if you need a new computer now, buy now...

Edit: The reviewer had overclocked his GTX780 card in the test's benchmarks... (Linus)

Last edited:

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
True, but iMac benefits greatly from the lower TPD of Haswell due to it's thin chassis run by mobiile components. It really should not take 8 months. iMac updates should roll out alongside the Notebook line as it is notebook tech that is in it.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
The GTX780 reviews are out now, about 35% improvement in framerate in 1440p, in some games almost 50%. I wonder if there will be a 780MX card for the coming iMac model. That would definately be worth the wait, but the iMac might as well be "stuck" with the 680MX for another 6-8 months too... As usual, if you need a new computer now, buy now...

I hope you are right and the new iMac will get 3gb of dedicated video memory that would sweet, i will wait until the next update if nothing shows up i might take the plunge. I am current using a mac book retina the 1gb video card still does wonders.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
True, but iMac benefits greatly from the lower TPD of Haswell due to it's thin chassis run by mobiile components. It really should not take 8 months. iMac updates should roll out alongside the Notebook line as it is notebook tech that is in it.

iMac's have used desktop processors since the 27" introduction in 2009.

AppleWarMachine

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2011
Michigan, US
The future upgrade will not be anything major (only Haswell - 10%), but will include the new AC wifi (3 times as fast). I am waiting for the fall refresh. :cool:

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I agree it's most likely to run the Haswell CPUs but only a minor speed bump of say 10%, all other spec is debatable at this point but they are likely to upgrade to the latest spec WiFi, Bluetooth and others at the same time.

If you need a new imac then get it now but if you can wait at least 6 months them wait. Personally I'd wait until after the WWDC even if it's unlikely Apple will release a new iMac then it might give an idea as to how long it will be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.