Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:11 AM   #1
ra4oasis
macrumors regular

How much data on average does iTunes Radio use?

I tend to ride the bus to work a few times a week, and it is roughly a 45 min trip. I'd like to use iTunes Radio occastionally, but I only have 1 gig of shared data between my wife and I (we both have wifi at home, work, parents homes, and so forth). I just don't want to eat up a ton of data and find out AFTER I go over my limit for the month. Has anyone tested to see on average how much is used for a set time frame?

If it helps, I live in a city that has 4G LTE basically all over the place.
ra4oasis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:15 AM   #2
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

get onavo extend, a song is about 4-11mb so depends on how many songs you listen to. 1024 mb in a gb or something. 93/94 songs if it's 11mb, 256 songs if it's 4mb so somewhere in between that
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:19 AM   #3
TheAppleFairy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra4oasis View Post
I tend to ride the bus to work a few times a week, and it is roughly a 45 min trip. I'd like to use iTunes Radio occastionally, but I only have 1 gig of shared data between my wife and I (we both have wifi at home, work, parents homes, and so forth). I just don't want to eat up a ton of data and find out AFTER I go over my limit for the month. Has anyone tested to see on average how much is used for a set time frame?

1 gig shared? how much does your wife use? I think you'd go over your 512mb limit (shared equally) in a few days to a week.
TheAppleFairy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:21 AM   #4
nikicampos
macrumors 6502a

Got to Settings.app/Cellular scroll down to Music, write down how many MB you have used, start your bus ride and iTunes Radio, after 30 minutes go back to Settings.app/Cellular and see how much you have used, that will give you and idea and see how much iTunes Radio you can use in the future.
nikicampos is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:33 AM   #5
swordfish5736
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to swordfish5736
Quote:

iOS 7 shows you per app cellular usage.

Since a clean install on Jun 30th my music app has used 1.5gb of data. This includes 20 hours of listening just from a recent trip, probably 4-5 hours from commuting, and at least 2 dozen downloads from iTunes Match.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 11:19 AM   #6
Jalopybox
Banned

The Radio uses about .75/mb per minute of music streaming. So for a 3:30 song, 2.6mb were used. Pretty low bitrate-128mbps. Also, the low frequencies are hacked off.

Last edited by Jalopybox; Aug 7, 2013 at 02:05 PM.
Jalopybox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:28 PM   #7
ra4oasis
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikicampos View Post
Got to Settings.app/Cellular scroll down to Music, write down how many MB you have used, start your bus ride and iTunes Radio, after 30 minutes go back to Settings.app/Cellular and see how much you have used, that will give you and idea and see how much iTunes Radio you can use in the future.
Perfect. I didn't know about that. I'll check on the way home today. Thanks!
ra4oasis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:43 PM   #8
nikicampos
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Perfect. I didn't know about that. I'll check on the way home today. Thanks!
You can also reset your statistics every month, when your billing cycle begins, that way you can see how many MB/GB you use a month, and also for any specific app, you can turn off any app that's using way to much MB that you don't really need over cellular.
nikicampos is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7