Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
Hi all

Recently i've been having an annoying 3G bug on my iphone 5.

At home 3G is good, coverage fine, but 2 miles down the road it is a service black spot, no coverage at all, not even 2G.

When i return from this no service blackspot i get my signal back but no 3G data and no 3G symbol. Toggling airplane mode / mobile date / mobile networks makes no difference, i have to reboot my phone to get 3G back.

I have tried resetting network settings and also a hard reset right after the issue has happened. It happens every time and frustratingly i have to drive through the black spot and even when going back into an area i know has good 3G coverage i have to reboot my phone!

Is this an iphone problem or a network problem?

My last resort is to set up the phone as a new phone but i'm not sure if it's worth going through the hassle.

thanks

jonasdamn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2013
Hi all

At home 3G is good, coverage fine, but 2 miles down the road it is a service black spot, no coverage at all, not even 2G.

When i return from this no service blackspot i get my signal back but no 3G data and no 3G symbol. Toggling airplane mode / mobile date / mobile networks makes no difference, i have to reboot my phone to get 3G back.

I have tried resetting network settings and also a hard reset right after the issue has happened. It happens every time and frustratingly i have to drive through the black spot and even when going back into an area i know has good 3G coverage i have to reboot my phone!

My last resort is to set up the phone as a new phone but i'm not sure if it's worth going through the hassle.

thanks
I had not officially supported by Apple carrier on my iPhone 5, had a lot of issue. Went to official carrier- issues disappeared. So mostly it is your carrier problem

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I had not officially supported by Apple carrier on my iPhone 5, had a lot of issue. Went to official carrier- issues disappeared. So mostly it is your carrier problem

I read this 6 times and it still doesn't make sense. Are you telling him it's carrier related or OS related. You contradict yourself.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
emmm where i have mentioned anything about OS? o_O

Don't give me the googly eyes, your post made no sense whatsoever. And around here, when people talk about something being "not official carrier" or whatever, it makes it sound like its a non carrier supported OS.....which is what your jumbled words sound like you meant. I don't know what an unofficial or official carrier is, and I'm sure no one else does. You need to do a little better with your explanation if you want to convey your ideas better. Use good translate if necessary.

The best I got from your post was that you were using iOS 7 and ran into problems so you reverted back to iOS 6 which fixed it.

ValerieDurden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Hi all

thanks

What service do you have? it's most likely a carrier issue and not the phone.

jonasdamn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2013
Don't give me the googly eyes, your post made no sense whatsoever. And around here, when people talk about something being "not official carrier" or whatever, it makes it sound like its a non carrier supported OS.....which is what your jumbled words sound like you meant. I don't know what an unofficial or official carrier is, and I'm sure no one else does. You need to do a little better with your explanation if you want to convey your ideas better. Use good translate if necessary.

wtf dude. If you didnt hear about unofficial carriers for iPhones then read here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937
In my country there is three carriers and only one is officially supported by Apple.
Furthermore, ofcourse you can use iPhone with unofficial carrier but you may have issues with cellular data or with some features.
The best I got from your post was that you were using iOS 7 and ran into problems so you reverted back to iOS 6 which fixed it.
Are you stupid?
/Ignore

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
What service do you have? it's most likely a carrier issue and not the phone.

I use Three (3) in the UK

It is an official iPhone carrier.

I am also thinking it is more likely to be a network issue... but just posting here to see if anyone else has had this problem.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
So the problem is both the network and the phone, but less the phone :)

Same problem happened on my 4s this afternoon. However airplane toggle cleared the issue and i got 3G back.

Wish the iphone5 did this. It must have different cell software or some type of memory.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
wtf dude. If you didnt hear about unofficial carriers for iPhones then read here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937
In my country there is three carriers and only one is officially supported by Apple.
Furthermore, ofcourse you can use iPhone with unofficial carrier but you may have issues with cellular data or with some features.

Are you stupid?
/Ignore

yes im stupid, because my posts contain the same horrible grammar and spelling yours did, making it impossible for people to understand what youre talking about.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
I read this 6 times and it still doesn't make sense. Are you telling him it's carrier related or OS related. You contradict yourself.

Made sense to me. He had an unofficial carrier, moved to an officially supported one, and his signal issues disappeared. Where did you even get "OS related" from?

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Made sense to me. He had an unofficial carrier, moved to an officially supported one, and his signal issues disappeared. Where did you even get "OS related" from?

when he said official carrier, i thought he meant official carrier OS, ios 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.