Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moonman239

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Maybe the admins could put in a robot that automatically detects rule violations, reports them, and maybe decides whether to issue a warning or ban. This decision could be easily reversed by a moderator.

Slow Programmer

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2011
Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. I can't imagine any automated system that could handle that with any degree of accuracy.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Let us know when you've created the specifications and implemented this amazing program. Perhaps we could borrow the system from the NSA that automatically monitors email and phone conversations, but even that only picks out keywords.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Let us know when you've created the specifications and implemented this amazing program. Perhaps we could borrow the system from the NSA that automatically monitors email and phone conversations, but even that only picks out keywords.

It actually might work. We can use the keywords "the", "if", "when" and "and" :D.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
An auto-whistle-blower? I think there has to be some human thought behind the determination of a violation outside the obvious curse word.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Maybe the admins could put in a robot that automatically detects rule violations, reports them, and maybe decides whether to issue a warning or ban. This decision could be easily reversed by a moderator.

That's a novel idea, but in the end I don't believe it would be practical. There would likely be a lot of false-positives and consequently a lot of upset users. The system we have in place now works quite well with the participation of the user base as well as the moderator team.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

Are the moderators not robotic enough as it is?

I kid the moderators. Mostly. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.