Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jhene

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
To save space on your iphone do you lower the bit rate if so to what kbps?
Most of my albums are set at 320kbps.

will it convert it only on the iphone or the file itself (on my mac as well)
N1uUVrn.jpg

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
will it convert it only on the iphone or the file itself (on my mac as well)

Since this pane belongs to the iPhone tab, it will only do to the phone only.

Be prepared to for it to take longer to sync.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
I set it to 192 kbps, mainly because I have a lot of apple lossless stuff which would simply take up too much space. If all my files were 320 I don't think I would bother.

In the end it's a compromise between how many tracks you have and how much space you can spare.

zepman

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Sweden
Are converted songs only stored on the iPhone or are they also stored on the Mac for faster syncing?
I don't want unnecessary files on my SSD…

DMaki650

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Rhinelander, WI
My songs come up as 320! Maybe im special :p

I think 256 is for purchased iTunes music. I've been using iTunes since it first came out and at this current time it's 256. So you must convert your physical media to 320. iTunes does not have purchased music in 320.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I got the 64gb so I wouldn't have to worry about this, plus I have iTunes Match so there really is not a need to

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Besides saving space, what else will happen if you convert all your songs to a lower bit rate? Lower quality?

sweetestbaboon

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2011
Word of warning- when I converted my songs, I lost the artwork associated with any tunes that were reduced on whatever device I placed them. Don't know if that's something odd that just happened with my conversion or if that's the norm...

Jhene

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Word of warning- when I converted my songs, I lost the artwork associated with any tunes that were reduced on whatever device I placed them. Don't know if that's something odd that just happened with my conversion or if that's the norm...
thanks for the warning, I would hate for this to happen a lot of the album artwork i have are hard enough to find ><

SONiC5

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
U.S.
I did, before my computer failed on me. 16GB really isn't a lot of space, I'd rather have more songs as opposed to fewer songs with negligibly higher sound quality.

I had the album art issue as well, I used to copy and paste the album art to the already synced song TWICE for it to show up on my phone, it didn't work if I did it only once.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.