Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Please don't shoot! I know a number of you work with Windows machines and I haven't much in the last 6 years.

I'm looking for a simple image editing program that can open PDFs. All we need to do is simple things - sometimes add an arrow or save as a JPG.

I tried a couple of free ones - I think paint.net was one - and neither opened PDFs so I went no further.

These are not always photos but sometimes maps that need to be slightly changed, so the ability to block out a section and put an arrow or text in that place is needed.

Free is not even necessary but I don't see the need to buy PS for this which is what someone is asking for. I think worst case Elements would work but I thought I'd see if there is anything else. I tried the online Adobe offering but it won't open a pdf either.

Thanks for any advice!

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Have you tried GIMP? I used it when we were an all linux shop. I'm not sure 'simple' would be a good description though. It is quite powerful.

Been running PS / Illustrator for the last decade ( good grief, has it been that long? ).

time keeps on ticking....

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Paint.net won't open a PDF. I can try GIMP. I'll look into the viewers too - thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.