Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i-rui

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2010
Dvi = hdmi = display port in regards to image quality. Just a different connector.

not according to Wacom. on their website they state that in order for the Cintiq 24HD to support 10 bit color it must be connected via displayport. display port has a higher bandwidth than DVI,

I have GTX680 connected to HP ZR30w via DisplayPort. When viewing the ramp.psd (http://www.amd.com/us/Documents/ramp.psd) there is visible banding.

Here is how Photoshop is configured for 10-bit rendering:
http://www.amd.com/us/Documents/48108-B_ATI_FirePro_Adobe_10-Bit_FAQ_R5_Final.pdf

does the HP ZR30w support 10 bit color?

are you looking at the image in OSX or windows? I'm thinking that OS X may not support 10 bit color. Kind of a bummer...

Rohirm

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2010
does the HP ZR30w support 10 bit color?

are you looking at the image in OSX or windows? I'm thinking that OS X may not support 10 bit color. Kind of a bummer...

Yes, ZR30w supports 10 bit color. I viewed it in Mountain Lion. I have Win7 in Boot Camp but I haven't tested it there yet.

Does anybody know will Mavericks support 10 bit color?

PantherV

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2010
My boot time has almost doubled with this card, it used to be about 45 seconds to boot to the desktop using a WD Velicoraptor drive. Now im about 41 seconds to booting to the apple logo, and 45 seconds or so to the desktop.

macgoblin7950

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
My boot time has almost doubled with this card, it used to be about 45 seconds to boot to the desktop using a WD Velicoraptor drive. Now im about 41 seconds to booting to the apple logo, and 45 seconds or so to the desktop.

So its taking 126 seconds to boot? Thats odd. Did you try reseting SMC and PRAM? Have you made sure its seated correctly or tried a different PCI slot? What OS are you running? Also are you running the latest driver? What are the details on your Pro?

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I'm running dual GTX 680 4GB and have NEVER been so happy with my Mac Pro's graphics performance. I'm good for the next 5 years.

Primarily CADD & Rendering apps, OS X & Windows.

You don't happen to use Modo do you? If so could I send you a test scene and you tell me your FPS?

I just got a Radeon 7950 and see absolutely no performance increase (except in games) over my Radeon HD 5870 :/

PantherV

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2010
So its taking 126 seconds to boot? Thats odd. Did you try reseting SMC and PRAM? Have you made sure its seated correctly or tried a different PCI slot? What OS are you running? Also are you running the latest driver? What are the details on your Pro?

It seems boot camp caused it. Resetting the pram fixed it though thanks for the suggestion.

ChrisGVE

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2013
I was wondering if anyone has already tested the card with the 10.9 Mavericks previews or GM.

My main machine is a MP5,1 with the 680 under 10.8. I'm running 10.9 GM on my rMBP (test machine) and I'm curious whether there have been compatibility test ran. I plan to migrate my main machine only after public release.

Thanks

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Right now I have my ACD 30" connected to my GTX680 via DVI-I, I am considering adding a 27" LED that uses Mini-DVI, I can't seem to readily locate an adapter that would be Mini-DVI to DVI-D, is there one and are there any potential issues with these two?

I did find an adapter on ebay that is DisplayPort male to Mini DP female, might that also be a good option?

Also, I am not stuck on the Apple brand for this, would an Asus or NEC option that has those outputs be a better bet?

Last edited:

dotsfilmes

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2013
Salvador - Bahia - Brasil
Hey!

I have a MacPro 5,1 Octo, can I install 2 GTX680 Mac Edition in it?

Can the internal power supply handle 2 cards?

I was planning on getting the 780, but with the recent "new chip" problem, I'm a little cautious with it.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Hey!

I have a MacPro 5,1 Octo, can I install 2 GTX680 Mac Edition in it?

Can the internal power supply handle 2 cards?

I was planning on getting the 780, but with the recent "new chip" problem, I'm a little cautious with it.

Yes, two GTX 680s can be installed.

No, internal power supply can not power two GTX 680s. You will need an auxiliary power supply for the second card.

MacVidCards said that only OpenCL is broken on GK110B cards. Cuda continues to work. I was wrong in my previous posts to you.

macgoblin7950

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
Right now I have my ACD 30" connected to my GTX680 via DVI-I, I am considering adding a 27" LED that uses Mini-DVI, I can't seem to readily locate an adapter that would be Mini-DVI to DVI-D, is there one and are there any potential issues with these two?

I did find an adapter on ebay that is DisplayPort male to Mini DP female, might that also be a good option?

Also, I am not stuck on the Apple brand for this, would an Asus or NEC option that has those outputs be a better bet?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2970S23273

----------

I was wondering if anyone has already tested the card with the 10.9 Mavericks previews or GM.

My main machine is a MP5,1 with the 680 under 10.8. I'm running 10.9 GM on my rMBP (test machine) and I'm curious whether there have been compatibility test ran. I plan to migrate my main machine only after public release.

Thanks

Runs just fine in 10.9 for me.

Bloodklot

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2011
Yes, two GTX 680s can be installed.

No, internal power supply can not power two GTX 680s. You will need an auxiliary power supply for the second card.

MacVidCards said that only OpenCL is broken on GK110B cards. Cuda continues to work. I was wrong in my previous posts to you.

If I'm not mistaken, they don't work in SLI. It's one card per monitor/monitors.

I got my GTX 680 and it's pretty awesome. I'm a motion artist but play games sometimes. Played BF4 on Ultra last night. 40-80 fps on a Mac 3,1

Most importantly, got it for the CUDA for After Effects and C4D. I did it all for the CUDA. A big improvement from my previous card GTX 285.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.