Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cranfan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
I have recently purchased OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard), awaiting delivery. Once installed I was hoping to upgrade to OS X 10.7 (Lion), my machine specs will not support OS X 10.8.

How do I get Lion, searches on the web suggest it is no longer available from the App Store.

I gather it may be available as a USB stick by phone.

Is this the only way now?

Thanks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There is no way to purchase Lion at this point. You may be able to find the Lion thumb drive on ebay but since Lion was mostly sold through the Mac App Store there's no other way to purchase it once apple stopped offering it.

ChrisMan287

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
NY.
Maybe give Apple a call? I think you can buy it on USB. If that's the case, you'll be out the $20 you spent on Snow Leopard because it won't be necessary.

mattyb240

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
There is no way to purchase Lion at this point. You may be able to find the Lion thumb drive on ebay but since Lion was mostly sold through the Mac App Store there's no other way to purchase it once apple stopped offering it.

Wrong... Call apple care and you can pay for a redemption code to put in the App Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.