Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Actually I feel damn good that I could make such a meaningful donation, that feeling is worth more than $250 any day.

I don't know what you're trying to say or do. The base 3rd gen or "new" iPad still regularly sells for about $400 on average on ebay. That is bare bones no case, etc. Add in that you have applecare and I am sure the price would be higher.

Secondly, good on you on your charity. You're saying you wouldn't have gave it to charity if you could have got more for it? I really don't understand any of your points.

More justification to cry about apple screwing you guys over is all I am hearing.

Last edited:

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
think about it like this
all those people who spent hundreds of dollars to upgrade to vista, and only to find themselves becoming the beta testers of microsoft's next OS (windows 7), how do they feel? It's the same feeling.

Let's face it, the 3rd gen iPad is a failure, it runs slower than the iPad mini. The truth is, the A5X simply wasnt powerful enough and apple still pushed out the device instead of waiting until the A6 was ready. One word: Greed.

Apple needs to realize that they will only lose more loyal customers if they keep doing this. Did i mention that the iPad's market share slipped almost 40% in 2012?
Personally I really don't care about market share. It could be 0% for all I care, it doesn't change how my ipad 3 runs, and how I use it.

People act like there's this massive speed difference between the 3rd gen iPad, and the 4th gen/mini. I'm sorry, but I've messed around them, and there's really not a dramatic increase. You're talking only a few seconds, if that.

I'm guessing that the same people crapping all over the iPad 3 are the same people who were praising it over the iPad 2 back in the spring.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
There has never been a device know as an iPad 3.

Perhaps the reluctance to use the ipad3 name indicates apple was already planning a half cycle upgrade, or that they were going to a more irregular cycle.
Certainly the lack of a cycle designation was one of the weirder aspects of the ipad release event.

----------

Ipad 4 should drop down to the Ipad 2 price come Ipad 5 though.

I doubt it. I think the line up will be a mini, a mini retina, and then the ipad,
I think the next ipad line up will say alot about what apple thinks of nexus competition

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
think about it like this
all those people who spent hundreds of dollars to upgrade to vista, and only to find themselves becoming the beta testers of microsoft's next OS (windows 7), how do they feel? It's the same feeling.

Vista was out 3 full years before 7. That is an entire corporate PC lifetime for many organisations, and also for many home users who buy every 3 years. I bought Vista in 2006 and upgraded to 7 in late 2009. No regrets. Windows 2000 -> XP was far quicker. Also, Vista is still supported and will be until 2017 (extended support).

Let's face it, the 3rd gen iPad is a failure, it runs slower than the iPad mini. The truth is, the A5X simply wasnt powerful enough and apple still pushed out the device instead of waiting until the A6 was ready. One word: Greed.

the iPad 3 smoked every andriod tablet device on the market on release?

Apple needs to realize that they will only lose more loyal customers if they keep doing this. Did i mention that the iPad's market share slipped almost 40% in 2012?

So you'd rather they didn't release a new faster iPad when they had the technology available to make one?

The iPad 3 works as it did when released. If it is too slow for you, maybe you shouldn't have bought it.

Oh wait, you didn't and are just on the bandwagon poo-pooing apple because it's the cool thing as of late.

Last edited:

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
I don't know what you're trying to say or do. The base 3rd gen or "new" iPad still regularly sells for about $400 on average on ebay. That is bare bones no case, etc. Add in that you have applecare and I am sure the price would be higher.

Secondly, good on you on your charity. You're saying you wouldn't have gave it to charity if you could have got more for it? I really don't understand any of your points.

More justification to cry about apple screwing you guys over is all I am hearing.

You are one hundred percent correct.. I was whining. I donated that ipad after I realized how much time I was spending whining & not being properly grateful for being able to afford one in the first place.. a self-imposed punishment if you will for being a sniveler

As a parent I know that whining should never be rewarded.. I just held myself to that same set of rules. I didn't deserve to own that ipad so I donated it & forked over the money to buy newer version just like anybody else who wanted an ipad 4. I'm no special snowflake & i want to thank people like you for pointing that out & holding people like me accountable for our entitled & unbecoming behaviors.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
A fair and honest reply. Good on you. Refreshing, even.

But... will you be re-upping when the iPad5 is announced? Just curious.

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
A fair and honest reply. Good on you. Refreshing, even.

But... will you be re-upping when the iPad5 is announced? Just curious.

If the 5 brings a thinner, lighter design? hell yes!, I will just watch the rumors very closely & will be sure to sell the 4th prior to the next release.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Personally I really don't care about market share. It could be 0% for all I care, it doesn't change how my ipad 3 runs, and how I use it.

People act like there's this massive speed difference between the 3rd gen iPad, and the 4th gen/mini. I'm sorry, but I've messed around them, and there's really not a dramatic increase. You're talking only a few seconds, if that.

I'm guessing that the same people crapping all over the iPad 3 are the same people who were praising it over the iPad 2 back in the spring.

Yes there is a massive speed difference if you use your iPad for serious tasks. But most people here only stream their cute little netflix on their tablets, so im not surprised. :rolleyes:

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Yes there is a massive speed difference if you use your iPad for serious tasks. But most people here only stream their cute little netflix on their tablets, so im not surprised. :rolleyes:

...like gaming?

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
photoshop? pdf annotation? content creation?

I don't get it Your doing hi res photoshop work on a 9.7" screen? Really? I do pdf annotation on my ipad 1 without issue. What content creation? iWork stuff? Keynote? Your going to a complicated presentation or spreadsheet without a pointing device or file system? I just dont get it.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
I don't get it Your doing hi res photoshop work on a 9.7" screen? Really? I do pdf annotation on my ipad 1 without issue. What content creation? iWork stuff? Keynote? Your going to a complicated presentation or spreadsheet without a pointing device or file system? I just dont get it.

Garageband for music creation would be an example of 'content creation'.
If I choose to do certain work on-the-go, that's my choice, and a lot of people do that, that's the whole point of a tablet, you are not the one to judge.

I know, professional work is too much for your little brain, go back to playing your angry birds star wars.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
If the 5 brings a thinner, lighter design? hell yes!, I will just watch the rumors very closely & will be sure to sell the 4th prior to the next release.

I like how people are upgrading Apple devices with the primary reason being a change to the body (ie. lightning port, thinner lighter). Yet, shouldn't one's primary reason be because of the OS? If the iPad 3 performance is not your liking, get a 4. If the 4 stutters and sucks in performing your functions, get a 5....but really, because it is rumored to be thinner and lighter, you're saying "hell yes!???"

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I like how people are upgrading Apple devices with the primary reason being a change to the body (ie. lightning port, thinner lighter). Yet, shouldn't one's primary reason be because of the OS? If the iPad 3 performance is not your liking, get a 4. If the 4 stutters and sucks in performing your functions, get a 5....but really, because it is rumored to be thinner and lighter, you're saying "hell yes!???"

Well, considering one of the main features of any tablet is its portability, thinness and lightness are very relevant and valid reasons to upgrade.

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011

A thinner, lighter device will allow me to enjoy the benefits of the larger screen without hand strain while doing things like reading. Any reduction in a device's weight lightens my load when I travel. Having devices that can use the same connector is an added bonus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.