Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cait

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
I have a deceased family member who has an iTunes backup of their iPhone 4S on their computer - I have their Apple ID and password, so I would be able to access it. We no longer have this person's phone, and I was wondering if it were possible for me to use my own phone (thinking of getting a new iPhone 4S because of the current low price) to restore, getting the data I want off of it (text messages, pictures, etc.) and then hit Erase All Content and Settings to return my phone to being brand new. I am worried that using someone else's backup would make it so that my phone number changes to theirs. Is this what would happen? Thanks

Oablar

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
Restore iPhone backup

I think that you can't do as you wanted. Or you may find solutions online via Google search. You can find tutorial, video, etc. to help you!

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
.... I am worried that using someone else's backup would make it so that my phone number changes to theirs. Is this what would happen? Thanks
No change in your phone number. Your phone number is determined by the Micro-SIM for the iPhone 4S as registered with your cell provider.

The restore will not change the phone number, the restore process will only restore the contents of the last iPhone backup.

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.