Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
Its a good time to wait.

Apple may very well release the iPhone 5 replacement early. Android competition is forcing Apple to raise its game.

If you need a phone now, AT&T has the 4S for just $100. Its one of Apples best & has great resale value.
What about the resale value of the iphone 5. I already had an iphone4 and to buy the 4s is a downgrade from the android device that I had before and not much of an improvement over my 4.

Ideally I just want to buy a phone and use it for 4 years. I see some people still using the 3GS and it works just fine in 2013

Tunnelrunner

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009
I have an iPhone (5) and an Android (Note 2) phone. I love both devices and enjoy switching off between the two (I was actually trying to activate my Note 2 last night but some stupid bug on Verizon's part prevented that from happening).
Between the two, I still prefer iOS over Android - for my needs, it's faster, simpler and easier to use.
Having said that, I still think what you want is the Nexus 4. You said yourself that you prefer the larger screens and the Android OS/UI. I suspect you may become bored/ frustrated with the iPhone 5. BTW, does it have to be a Nexus? There are plenty of Android devices with LTE (like the upcoming S4 for example).

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
What about the resale value of the iphone 5. I already had an iphone4 and to buy the 4s is a downgrade from the android device that I had before and not much of an improvement over my 4.

Ideally I just want to buy a phone and use it for 4 years. I see some people still using the 3GS and it works just fine in 2013

I was suggesting the 4S as a temporary measure. Based on my experience my 4S was much better than my current iPhone 5. The 4S is actually a far better phone than the 4 (I've had them all) and resale on 4S is still strong.

If you expect 4 years of use, that's an even greater reason to wait.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
I was suggesting the 4S as a temporary measure. Based on my experience my 4S was much better than my current iPhone 5. The 4S is actually a far better phone than the 4 (I've had them all) and resale on 4S is still strong.

If you expect 4 years of use, that's an even greater reason to wait.

For what should I be waiting for? An iphone 5s with bigger screen and a revamped ios7? Or an aluminum android device with great battery life and solid construction?

I don't think I will ever see either of them. And I am also really worried that the iphone 4s won't hold its resale value once the iphone 5s is out. The iphone 5 will probably get me more.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
1) For what should I be waiting for? An iphone 5s with bigger screen and a revamped ios7?

2) Or an aluminum android device with great battery life and solid construction?

3) I am also really worried that the iphone 4s won't hold its resale value once the iphone 5s is out. The iphone 5 will probably get me more.

1) In the coming months several new Android phones, and a new iPhone will be released. This will provide you with choices that don't exist now.

Traditionally history proves the "S" version of iPhones like 3 to 3S, 4 to 4S, are always better than non S models.

The wildly successful & popular Galaxy S 3 is about to be replaced with the S 4, another phone worth waiting for if you prefer Android.

2) Aluminum was chosen by Apple for style & design continuity with their other products. It dents & scratches easily, since it has no "give" when dropped. That's not a criticism, just a fact. No material is perfect.

Plastic is highly effective & only gets a bad rap here... Because the Android haters choose to act like its the plastics of the 1950's which was far inferior to the plastics of today.

3) I specifically suggested the iPhone 4S as a very good stop gap to get you into a phone now for a mere $99. If you have an upgrade available the minimum you'll pay is $199 for an iPhone 5, whose resale is currently only $60 more than the 4S. An average I get from surveying several sources.

Yet at the end of the day if you don't appreciate the voice of experience from someone who's answering your question and offering a solution, I understand that as well.

Good Luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.