Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LarsenR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
I am so hoping some kind soul here can help me out with syncing. I bought an ipad 3g and the iwork ios suite on the promise I could integrate my workflow seamlessly with my iphone 4 in the field using icloud. At first everything worked perfectly (up and down) but within a few weeks (by end of September) the icloud syncing of iwork docs stopped working and has remained non-functional.

I am using ipad 3g ios 5.1.1 and iphone 4 ios 5.1.1 with all the settings for icloud toggled (and retoggled) correctly. I use the same and only apple id for all things Apple. Everything worked fine, then around the end of September syncing of iwork docs completely stopped. Mind you all the basic ios stuff still syncs (notes, calendar, contacts etc). Only the iwork suite is broken. The docs constantly display the "upload arrow" or the download "progress bar" but don't do anything.

The "geniuses" at Apple store were VERY dissappointing and were no help (one started searching forums for solutions despite me just telling him I had spent WEEKS sleuthing forums to no avail). In the end they slung me a lie that I had to upgrade to ios 6 on all devices which I know is not true based on Apple's stated system requirements AND based on the fact that I know others are having the same problem despite running ios 6.

So does anyone have any bright, helpful ideas? I'm really stumped and Apple apparently does not see fit to help or fulfill the basic promise of functionality.

Thanks in advance.

jorgus

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2011
iCloud doc sync is a mess. We are many many who have no sync or just partially sync between Macs and iOS devices. iCloud data base is damaged and it's all a very sad story when you think of one of Jobs last statements about iCloud not be a disaster like MobileMe. Apple just don't fix the cloud service - they wanted to buy DropBox but they couldn't and they just don't fix the cloud themself - they are the best on everything...except the cloud where they are big loosers.
Your problem is NOT a user issue - it's the iCloud servers. You have to bypass all low level support and make them reset your iCloud account - sometimes they have to do it several times until it starts to roll smooth.
So - you have a long journey with telephone calls (why do Apple use this telephone thing from last century - why not mail???) and hopefully an manager at iCloud one day contact you and reset your account after ensuring that you have backed up everything.
Me myself have no voice and can't talk in telephones so I've given up and use only DropBox nowdays.
I think this disaster with iCloud doc sync is big, but we will never know and at iCloud status site there is always green light - "all services up" :-D. They will never officially confess the disaster. No way.

I am so hoping some kind soul here can help me out with syncing. I bought an ipad 3g and the iwork ios suite on the promise I could integrate my workflow seamlessly with my iphone 4 in the field using icloud. At first everything worked perfectly (up and down) but within a few weeks (by end of September) the icloud syncing of iwork docs stopped working and has remained non-functional.

I am using ipad 3g ios 5.1.1 and iphone 4 ios 5.1.1 with all the settings for icloud toggled (and retoggled) correctly. I use the same and only apple id for all things Apple. Everything worked fine, then around the end of September syncing of iwork docs completely stopped. Mind you all the basic ios stuff still syncs (notes, calendar, contacts etc). Only the iwork suite is broken. The docs constantly display the "upload arrow" or the download "progress bar" but don't do anything.

The "geniuses" at Apple store were VERY dissappointing and were no help (one started searching forums for solutions despite me just telling him I had spent WEEKS sleuthing forums to no avail). In the end they slung me a lie that I had to upgrade to ios 6 on all devices which I know is not true based on Apple's stated system requirements AND based on the fact that I know others are having the same problem despite running ios 6.

So does anyone have any bright, helpful ideas? I'm really stumped and Apple apparently does not see fit to help or fulfill the basic promise of functionality.

Thanks in advance.

LarsenR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
That is very much what I was afraid of. The geniuses only give suggestions that I know from other people's experience do not work. Beyond that I get a shrug, an non-verbal confirmation that the Apple's software does not in fact work, and a "you should just use Dropbox." Then why in the hell did I buy iwork!?!?!?!?! Very annoying, very costly in terms of my time, and seriously impacted my job performance when all began to fail after lengthy transfer of docs.

On the "upside" I will be spending Xmas in Palo Alto CA. I'll be the loud, annoying customer demanding satisfaction for devices and software that fail to perform as promised and in some cases at all... (I'm actually REALLY nice but this is ridiculous and the Colorado Apple store folks I have talked to are less competent with regards to troubleshooting than most savvy users are.)

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
iCloud doc sync is a mess. We are many many who have no sync or just partially sync between Macs and iOS devices. iCloud data base is damaged and it's all a very sad story when you think of one of Jobs last statements about iCloud not be a disaster like MobileMe. Apple just don't fix the cloud service - they wanted to buy DropBox but they couldn't and they just don't fix the cloud themself - they are the best on everything...except the cloud where they are big loosers.
Your problem is NOT a user issue - it's the iCloud servers. You have to bypass all low level support and make them reset your iCloud account - sometimes they have to do it several times until it starts to roll smooth.
So - you have a long journey with telephone calls (why do Apple use this telephone thing from last century - why not mail???) and hopefully an manager at iCloud one day contact you and reset your account after ensuring that you have backed up everything.
Me myself have no voice and can't talk in telephones so I've given up and use only DropBox nowdays.
I think this disaster with iCloud doc sync is big, but we will never know and at iCloud status site there is always green light - "all services up" :-D. They will never officially confess the disaster. No way.

Is this really true? I just updated to ML today, and none of my mac iCloud documents are showing up on my iPad. Are Apple that useless with iCloud? Surely for most people it is working... :confused:

jorgus

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2011
I think it's a huge mess and Apple have really serious problems with this feature in iCloud (other servicers in iCloud works fine).
It's just that very few iCloud users (soon every OSX/iOS owner) use this doc sync service - or iWork for that matter. How big this is - how many having problems (= can not use it) we will never know - it's a secret of course. My guess is: It's Big. Why? My experince with complex data bases and huge interacting file klusters is that it's always a big issue when it's an issue - there's nothing "local" with data bases.

Is this really true? I just updated to ML today, and none of my mac iCloud documents are showing up on my iPad. Are Apple that useless with iCloud? Surely for most people it is working... :confused:

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
My iPhone just started doing this today. My iPad is syncing fine, as is my Mac, but I updated a document on the iPhone and it just has the arrow. Added a new document on my iPad and can't see it on my iPhone. Doc sync has always been a bit buggy, but this is a ****ing joke.

antao

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
Any news about this problem

I have same problem i can't synchronize iCloud iWork files since october 2012.

I asked Applecare 10 december. They have to call me back and i am waiting.

antao

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
Today all is ok

i just open Pages, Numbers, with iMac, iPhone , iPad.
i can find all docs in all devices, trough iCloud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.