Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
anyone else like watching free nature fireworks shows?!

i know people don't go out in the dark and look up like they used to, just wondering. i like space. and distant planets. and shiny things.

XKCD put together a nice guide for newbs in the meteor world. enjoy. :)

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
last night (8/10) was sorta slow here in the central region of the US. nasa says tonight will be better, peaking 8/12-13 if anyone cares.

free shows are my favorite kinda shows. :)

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Thanks for the head's up :)p), I'd forgotten about it. --And I'm irked because I was outside with the dogs at 4 this morning AND I looked at the sky blearily but still totally missed an opportunity.

Also - erupting from ground is totally awesome! Except my shooting stars appear to be mushrooms too. :(

Attachments

• Tintin_cover_-_The_Shooting_Star.JPG
    Tintin_cover_-_The_Shooting_Star.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
inside looking out. and up.

We've been cloudy here for the past few days so I've not been able to see anything, but will try again tonight.

if clouds get in the way, you can use technology to peer past. last live broadcast is tonight, 8/13 @ 7pm EDT (2300 GMT) at SPACE.Com.

last night here was awesome. started slow, but got going and stayed steady for most of an hour that i was out. would have been longer, but bugs decided to eat me for supper, and i got tired of swatting. (insert joke here - i just flew in from Vegas, and boy are my arms tired... :p).

best of luck.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I saw a meteor around 10-10:30pm two nights ago which would have been spectacular if there hadn't been so much ambient light pollution. After that clouds rolled in, still cloudy.

Last edited:

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Thanks for the head's up :)p), I'd forgotten about it. --And I'm irked because I was outside with the dogs at 4 this morning AND I looked at the sky blearily but still totally missed an opportunity.

Also - erupting from ground is totally awesome! Except my shooting stars appear to be mushrooms too. :(

omg I miss Tintin, got some reading to do this week :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.